Exit and re-entry w/ 1 year Edu visa

Hi, hoping for some clarity re upcoming travel, any help appreciated. I have to travel back to London for a week or so, am on a 1 year Thai language education visa. Have been told that I need to fill in a form prior to leaving otherwise validity of my visa will be voided. 

Having trouble working out whether I can simply fill out said form at the airport, or whether I need to go to immigration and above all what the form is even called. Thanks in advance, L

You will need to apply for a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon attending a school valid when you enter the country.

The re-entry permit and be applied for at your local immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok when leaving the country.

You will need a completed TM8 form for the application with a 4X6 cm photo attached.

Download:  Fillable TM8 re-entry permit form.pdf

• Like 1

In addition to the re-entry permit, if your trip outside Thailand is going to be for more than a few days, it is prudent to get a letter from your school to confirm that your trip has no impact on your status as a student, and you remain enrolled. It has been known for Immigration, when you return, questioning how a genuine student can skip a significant period of study.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LP80 said:

@BritTim My trip is for 9 days and is online only so I figure this should be ok? lmk if you think otherwise. Thank you!

I cannot imagine any official deciding you are not a genuine student because of about a week outside the country. I am sure you will be fine.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will need to apply for a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon attending a school valid when you enter the country.

The re-entry permit and be applied for at your local immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok when leaving the country.

You will need a completed TM8 form for the application with a 4X6 cm photo attached.

Download:  Fillable TM8 re-entry permit form.pdf

Including copies of all relevant pages of your passport, TM6 and TM30. So perhaps better not leave it to the last moment at the airport, do it at imm before. 1000B for single re-entry.

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Including copies of all relevant pages of your passport, TM6 and TM30. So perhaps better not leave it to the last moment at the airport, do it at imm before. 1000B for single re-entry.

I don't think they ask for all of that at the airports in Bangkok You can pay a 200 baht fee and they do the form copies and etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Very simple process at airport.

Can't imagine why people bother with immigration off unless it's very handy.

Some things you list are not required. In addition to list below I always include current permission of stay stamp.

1. A completed TM-8 form.
  2. The correct fee.
  3. Colored photo (4cm x 6cm)
  4. Photocopy of passport (main page and latest entry stamp)
Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very simple process at airport.

Can't imagine why people bother with immigration off unless it's very handy.

In general, I 100% agree with you. The main time you should do the re-entry permit at the local immigration office is when you contemplate leaving Thailand through a border crossing that does not have a handy re-entry desk.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

In general, I 100% agree with you. The main time you should do the re-entry permit at the local immigration office is when you contemplate leaving Thailand through a border crossing that does not have a handy re-entry desk.

I would add that not all international airports have a re-entry permit desk or one that is always open.

Both airports in Bangkok are reliable.

1 minute ago, LP80 said:

Guys, all this is super helpful, appreciate the feedback! One last thing @ubonjoe @BritTim @DrJack54 does my having a re entry permit forgo my need to complete the Thaipass song and dance in order to return? 

Unfortunately, as long as ThaiPass exists, it must always be complied with, regardless of your visa/re-entry permit status. It is true even if you intend only being out of Thailand for a few minutes during a border bounce.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...