Thousands of Czechs protest against proposed retirement age rise to 68 Access to the comments

Social Media

Around 2,000 workers took to the streets of Prague and marched passed the cabinet office on March 29th in protest at a proposed rise in the retirement age.

The Czech government wants to raise the age from 65 to 68, saying it must rein in spending as there's a huge hole in its budget.

If it succeeds it would be set four years higher than France's retirement age where massive nationwide demonstrations against a rise to 64 years turned violent.

Retirement should be 65 for all  people. As a shopfloor supervisor in a factory many years ago you can see some people at 65 are just about ready to drop - I had loads of friends get to 65 and drop dead within 2-3 years. Not everybody's body is the same in later years

• Thumbs Up 2

65 max adjust your budget and taxes I was fortunate beeing able to go to 67 by choice (good pay and benefits) thereby boosting my pension and social security but it was my choice I’m still busy with side gigs I’m lucky 

12 hours ago, Tug said:

65 max adjust your budget and taxes I was fortunate beeing able to go to 67 by choice (good pay and benefits) thereby boosting my pension and social security but it was my choice I’m still busy with side gigs I’m lucky 

Agree that everyone is different. I had 5 by-passes (inherited colesterol issues evidently) at age 58. So, when I could take retirement at age 64 1/2 (academic year made this the best rather than waiting for 65), I decided to retire. I feel fine, under a Cardiologist’s care but that was after an additional heart attack in 2015 ( evidently scar tissues from the by-passes had narrowed the arteries in a couple of places).

• Love It 1