Tennessee House expels 2nd Democratic lawmaker, after falling short of ousting another

onthedarkside

image.png.0723a0644c517717d9a9f7ac03a7225f.png

Tennessee’s Republican-controlled House of Representatives has voted to expel Rep. Justin Pearson, a week after he and two other Democrats led a gun reform protest on the House floor.

The House earlier expelled Rep. Justin Jones over that protest, which followed a deadly mass shooting at a Nashville school. A vote to expel the third Democrat involved, Rep. Gloria Johnson, failed.

The vote over rules violations for Pearson was 69-26. Johnson’s vote was 65-30. Expulsion from the House requires a two-thirds majority of the total membership. The vote for Jones split along party lines, 72-25.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/06/us/tennessee-democrats-office-removal-vote/index.html

CNN.jpg

I saw that in real time just despicable and un called for they were trying to hold the Republican controlled legislature accountable for gun control after the last school slaughter you rember that one were the perp slaughtered 8 yo kids me thinks god willing they will be healed accountable in the next election cycle I certainly hope so

• Like 2

I watched 7 hours of the debate on the floor of the house!

It all centered around a protest outside the chamber with 3 dem house reps shouting and chanting at the podium !

The debate centered around house rules of decorum being abused!

The 3 dems would not admit their

role in wrongdoing ( deliberately taking the podium without permission). 2 of the three were

expelled by a two thirds vote!

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

It all centered around a protest outside the chamber with 3 dem house reps shouting and chanting at the podium !

role in wrongdoing ( deliberately taking the podium without permission). 2 of the three were

I watched it too. Did it escape you that the protest on the floor occurred during a recession?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I watched it too. Did it escape you that the protest on the floor occurred during a recession?

Did it occur to you they broke the rules of decorum “on the house floor”. The recession is irrelevant!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, riclag said:

They were recognized to speak under House rule. Furthermore, they spoke for the people in the people's house. Appalling behavior by the GOP that looks like racist purge. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Loh said:

They were recognized to speak under House rule. Furthermore, they spoke for the people in the people's house. Appalling behavior by the GOP that looks like racist purge. 

Uh the race card!

They had a lengthy debate on the floor ! The accused broke the rules!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Uh the race card!

Again, what rule did they break? I challenged you and you know very well you are required to put up. The protest was during a house recession.

Two young black males were expelled and one older white woman was not for the same "infraction". What does that suggest if not racism?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Again, what rule did they break? I challenged you and you know very well you are required to put up.

Go rewatch the video I posted,its all there!Pay attention to the clerks charges as he reads them off!

Just now, riclag said:

Go rewatch the video I posted,its all there!Pay attention to the clerks charges as he reads them off!

I'll remind you of your obligation to provide a link to a claim of fact. I am challenging your assertion that there is a house rule against a protest during a recession.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Uh the race card!

So what was the debate? Was that about concerns over the 3 kids and 3 officials gunned down in yet another mass shooting and stricter gun laws? Expelling the 3 Dem lawmakers seem more important for the never ending mass shootings with kids involved. Just where are the GOP's priority. Serve the people or to their power greed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

Uh the race card!

There's certainly accusations

Accusations of racism and ‘assault on democracy’ follow expulsion of 2 Tennessee House Democrats

In an extraordinary act of political retaliation, Tennessee Republicans on Thursday expelled two Democratic lawmakers from the state Legislature for their role in a protest calling for more gun control in the aftermath of a deadly school shooting in Nashville. A third Democrat was narrowly spared by a one-vote margin

https://fortune.com/2023/04/06/tennessees-house-expels-2-of-3-democrats-guns-protest/

9 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

So you would agree then, that Taylor Green and Boebert should have been expelled from Congress for their behaviour during Biden's speech on the State of the Union ?
Seems like double standards from the GOP, does it not ?
This is not about gun control or decorum, but an attempt to create a super majority and is an abuse of power.

Im not going off topic nice try

but I will say according to the Story from the local rag ! The dems have a opportunity to return.

“Despite the high-profile expulsions, the three could technically return to the House within days”.

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

Im not going off topic nice try

but I will say according to the Story from the local rag ! The dems have a opportunity to return.

“Despite the high-profile expulsions, the three could technically return to the House within days”.

Its not off topic as it illustrates the hypocrisy of the GOP.
You cant have it both ways.
Surely you would agree that, there appears to be some issue as to how the GOP perceives a lack of decorum depending on which political party the alleged transgressor/s belong to ?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The constituents were there protesting and calling for gun law reform. Thats what owing and representing their constituents are all about and not about protecting party line. 

Let the left throw “rules of debate”

out the window because some radical dems refuse to align to the order of parliamentary proceedings .

cant imagine the chaos there would be with out rules! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, riclag said:

out the window because some radical dems refuse to align to the order of parliamentary proceedings .

As this is a general statement about Dems behaviour during parliamentary proceedings, once more I point out the similarity

to the behaviour of Green and Boebert, but you don't seem to want to comment on the GOP hypocrisy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

You are defending the indefensible perhaps censure would have been appropriate at the max .it’s painfully obvious what happened it’s going to hurt them in the election hopefully big time.the world is changing even in backwards Tennessee just takes longer and obviously racism like this will eventually be stamped out.the sooner the better imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

They were expelled because of gun protest. House decorum was the excuse. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, riclag said:

That isn't what happened.  If it is show some proof.  In the obvious absence of such proof, stop telling lies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Expelled Tennessee lawmaker Justin Jones: I was voted out for being ‘an uppity Negro’

“This is a very hostile environment, but more importantly, it’s hostile to democracy,” Jones told Reid. “And so what you see in there, they’re saying you should feel grateful to be here, but they didn’t help me get here, the people in my district put me here.” 

I was arrested in this building over 14 times trying to remove a KKK statue that we finally removed from this rotunda where we’re standing,” he added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3938980-expelled-tennessee-lawmaker-justin-jones-i-was-voted-out-for-being-an-uppity-negro/

Justin Jones and Justin Pearson could be reappointed to their seats after expulsion from Tennessee House

Nothing stops the Metro Nashville Council or Shelby County Commission from reappointing either man to fill the vacancies until special elections later this year.

The Metro Council is nonpartisan, but a majority of members have already said they will reappoint Jones at a special called meeting announced late Thursday to take place next week. The Shelby County Commission has a Democratic majority and is expected to do something similar.

https://www.rawstory.com/justin-jones-and-justin-pearson/

16 hours ago, tilaceer said:

there appears to be some issue as to how the GOP perceives a lack of decorum depending on which political party the alleged transgressor/s belong to ?

Skin color seems to be the primary issue, in the case of the Tennessee legislature, given the reults of the explusion votes.

• Like 1

No One Should Be That Shocked by What’s Happening in Tennessee

After a Republican lawmaker was accused of sexually assaulting 15- and 16-year-old girls he had taught and coached, he was made chairman of the House education committee.

Protesters filled the halls week after week, year after year, calling for the removal of the bust of the Ku Klux Klan’s first Grand Wizard, a piece of art featured prominently between the House and Senate chambers. Democrats pushed for its removal, while Republicans resisted.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/08/tennessee-descent-statehouse-mag-00091090