Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Offshore jobs for expats in Thailand

thai000019

USA expat in Thailand, looking for a job closer to home so i can skip the 35 hour flights. Which companies are working around Thailand, and hiring Masters, Mates, or DPO for any size boat or ship from OSV to Drillship? I know Singapore has alot of job offers but the wages are half or less, some Masters making less than Mate's in USA.

I know the industry quite well around the world. Never worked in Thailand. Was offered a contract a few years back, but the salary was about half of the going rate elsewhere.

From what i have seen, the offshore vessels they use here are quite low key. Rarely big enough to require an ETO anyway. You might have more luck as a Master, but i suspect the salary will be disappointing. The few proper vessels i have seen here are usually managed from Singapore, Norway, UK etc. on temporary contracts.

Drillships or semisubs might be a better alternative.

Possibly: Check out marinetraffic.com to see who is operating here atm. and check their websites for any vacancies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Drillships or semisubs might be a better alternative.

No Deepwater drilling in Thailand, only Jackups.

If you've got offshore drilling, Barge Master experience try  offshore drillers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seismic survey vessels. There's at least half-a-dozen of them operating in APAC right now. If you do a good job, you could end up assigned elsewhere on their fleets. Brazil, Gulf of Mexixo, North Sea, Namibia (and other places 35 hours from home).

• Haha 1

I used to work in offshore, based in UK/Thailand.

Most agencies I worked through used to offer lower day rates for SE Asia personnel,  compared to UK/US based, as clients preferred these, despite higher mob. costs.  Reason given was generally the lower quality of personnel available in SE Asia.

My own experience was that I got more work, and made more money, when operating ex-UK, than I did trying to operate ex-SE Asia.  

Fact of life, I am afraid, unless you have a reputation based on previous work.  SE Asia became a refuse for too many offshore alcoholics who could not make it in other parts of the World