Reccomend A Good Tailor In Bkk?

rongx

Hi Guys. Will be heading to bkk over the weekend in August, wondering if anyone has a really good experience with any tailors before? If so, Care to share? in this format would be good :

Name of shop :

Price :

Duration (to make suit etc) :

Anything to note? :

would really help prevent me & many others from getting ripped off! Hope to hear from you guys. Khup Thun Khrap!

rong.

I bought three suits, a dozen shirts, and a few silk ties from Der Herr inside the Grace Hotel, Suk soi 3 in 2000. No problems. Still wear the shirts now, occasionally. They have a web site derherr(dot)com.

Yeah, browse the old threads. However, my long-time tailor is the famous tailor to the stars, Rajawongse or Raja. Don't confuse this with the others who've ripped off the name. This one is in a ground floor shophouse just outside the Landmark Hotel on Sukh. Jesse and son Victor have run it for ages. In the back is a name card section that is a who's who of the movers and shakers, including George H., and son George Dubya, and many others.

12,000 Baht for a suit fixed price, any fabric last time I had one made. You get a Heineken while you browse.

Edited by chinthee

Hi guys. initially i wanted to post without searching. but i knew i'd get flamed (like this) so i did. i typed tailor, good tailor and no post came up (i did it again just now to find my own post, this one, and it didnt come up either!) thats why i decided to post. anyone heard of July Tailor? www.julytailor.com ? and 12,000 is quite expensive is it not? am not sure on the exact prices of tailoring there. and also do they do it overnight? or over a few days (cos heard overnights are factory made stuff).

Cheers

I've had all my clothes made in Bangkok for the last 30 years - suits, black tie suits, jackets, trouser, shirts etc. My wife also has trousers and overcoats made there. Our tailor for the past 10-12 years has been Laxmi Collection, run by a Thai of Indian origin, who used to manage one of the tailor shops (Royal Mantique) in the Royal Orchid Sheraton, but subsequentlty went into business on his own account, with a shop now in Silom Village in Silom Road. He's taken a lot of his customers from the hotel with him. He's become a friend now and always turns out an excellent product at reasonable prices. He won't rip you off. However, he's really not into the 2-3 day turnaround business. You ideally need 4-5 days minimum to get the stuff made with him. He's on the right in Silom Village, close to the big seafood restaurant in the middle. He's as good as you can get these days in Bangkok in terms of price/quality/service.

Contact details are:

Mr Amon Gulati

Laxmi Collection

Silom Village Trade Centre

286, Silom Road

Bangkok 10500, Thailand.

Tel - (66) 2 2374429 , Mobile (66) 81 4967730 or 81 8357142

[email protected]

Recent prices from him have been

suit with two trousers 18,300

jacket (wool) 12-15,000

trousers wool 2,500 - 4,000

trousers cotton 1,800

overcoat (cashmere - ladies) 15,000

Yeah, browse the old threads. However, my long-time tailor is the famous tailor to the stars, Rajawongse or Raja. Don't confuse this with the others who've ripped off the name. This one is in a ground floor shophouse just outside the Landmark Hotel on Sukh. Jesse and son Victor have run it for ages. In the back is a name card section that is a who's who of the movers and shakers, including George H., and son George Dubya, and many others.

12,000 Baht for a suit fixed price, any fabric last time I had one made. You get a Heineken while you browse.

Their website is Rajawongse

Regards

/edit // PS When I added first post and again now, I type in Tailor and get 4 pages of results.

Edited by A_Traveller

Rong,

I would suggest that if you want a decent quality suit, then do not go for a 24 hour turn around. You should need a couple of fittings to get it right.

I have bought clothes from several different Tailors here in Bangkok, but so far I have found nothing comparable to the quality of the guy that I used to use in Singapore. However, I have taken on board the comments of what other board members have said, and I will follow their recommendations on my next excursion for some new shirts.

Edited by mrtoad

I went to Pinky's the shrits are terrible fit but the suit is ok, there were several US Embassy staff in whilst i was being fitted saying they all go there time and again.

im no suit expert but Id always buy off the peg from now on then risk 15000 baht on a suit.

• 2 years later...
Not to be rude but I hope helpful, click on Search on the bar above and type in tailor. The threads will let you browse responses to this oft asked, but reasonable, question.

Regards

Fine in theory, but near useless in practice - pages of irrelevant threads appear, as I've just discovered :)

Harrot Tailors in the Fortune Town Mall on Ratchada do a good job with shirts and slacks. Their prices are quite good (I can't remember exactly as it was 3 years ago, but I remember being impressed), but their fabric choices are limited. I bought a few lengths of silk from the Jim Thompson outlet near silom, which they turned into some wonderful dress shirts.

They are on the second or third floor near some antique shops.

The Narai hotel on Silom Road, there is a tailors in the hotel lower level.

I had a suit made there about 8 months ago. Jacket 2x trousers, 2x shirts cost 11.000 baht, and i was well pleased with the result. Measured up in the morning, tea time went for final fitting and picked suit up following morning.

There are probably a million tailors in Bangkok. Half of them are run by idiots. Another half of the remaining sell you cashmere as well and as you narrow down the shops, there is probably only up to a dozen good places to get your clothes tailored in Bangkok. At least 6 of them were listed above and here is another one to add to your list:

Crown Tailors - located inside of sukhumvit soi 8. Suits usually go around 7-9 thousand. More expensive is also available and like many other posters have written..you get what you pay for. Ideally you need a couple of days for suits, I'd say 2-3 is a good minimum.

Now the best advice. Crown, Raja, Rajwonge and the rest on SUkhumvit are not located too far from one another. Walk around, spend about 30-45 min making up your mind, and have your suits done up from the place that suits you best..atmosphere, price, value for money, quality of fabric. Have fun while ure at it.

I forget the first tailor I used, too expensive I realised too late. The 2nd tailor however was very decently priced and makes a perfect cut: James Fashion, on Sukhothai Rd, just down from the corner of Rama V Rd. Another nice feature of James is that he will do export orders, so after the 2nd fitting, if you are short of time, he will send it to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, browse the old threads. However, my long-time tailor is the famous tailor to the stars, Rajawongse or Raja.

If by 'stars' you mean ageing members of the US Republican Party then that's an accurate description. I bought a 1000 baht shirt based on recommendations for Rajawongse on this forum and others but was disappointed. Like many businesses in Thailand, its popularity seems to have led to a big decline is standards. A good tailor should go through every little detail to make sure he's making you the shirt you want but Victor just took a few measurements and said "slim fit?" I insisted I didn't want slim fit but it came back so slim it looks like a girl's blouse when untucked. I think that might be an 'India cut'. Victor suggested 'just a normal business collar' but what came back was an ultra stiff collar that looks like some comical 1980s throwback. On top of that a couple of the buttons don't quite measure up with the holes and after a few washes the blue stripes are starting to fade. None of this is surprising as the shirts are obviously made in the same sweat shops as those of all the other Sukhumvit tailors but at least in other places they might listen to what you ask for and agree a lower price.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Now the best advice. Crown, Raja, Rajwonge and the rest on SUkhumvit are not located too far from one another. Walk around, spend about 30-45 min making up your mind, and have your suits done up from the place that suits you best..atmosphere, price, value for money, quality of fabric. Have fun while ure at it.

Do you get a free beer at all of these places?

Can imagine a sudden influx of spelling-challenged ajarns :)

Well, there is a thread with about 300 posts - darn, I cannot remember the forum's name. Lonely Planet? Something with many forums for all of SE Asia. Do some searching.

The consensus was that buying used on eBay might be the better choice.

It starts with getting natural fabrics - pure cotton for shirts, and Alas, when a BKK taylor mentions

ashmere or it is woven into the material, run away!

See these offers, 2 suits, 2 pants, 3 shirts and 5 ties all for $ 149 kind of ads? You will look real classy in polyester.

There are some good taylors in BKK though. Narin Couture is one of them. But expect to pay hundreds (Dollars) just for the workmanship.

Another website some folks like is www.dress-for-success.com I think. It all depends what you like. Just make sure they are not selling polyester and are just a front - no sewing machines in sight? Gotcha! The work is done by sweat shops somewhere...

For all that's worth, I bought Neiman Marcus pure Linen shirts on eBay.com and am happy in this hot climate. Whenever amn-made fibers are in shirts, they start to smell bad really soon and have an uncomfortable feel.

For a suit, style comes into it. I had many trousers fitted with horrible crotch - way to loose. And then they use pads - remember 1980s football players?

The draw backs are too many to list. If you get a natural fabric, then the cut might be bad. A decent suit takes many fittings.

For those into suits, read a bit here: www.englishcut.com

Sorry for the late night ramblings - it's a stream of consciousness thing. :)

Another website some folks like is www.dress-for-success.com I think. It all depends what you like. Just make sure they are not selling polyester and are just a front - no sewing machines in sight? Gotcha! The work is done by sweat shops somewhere...

That is the website of Rajawongse, the "elite" tailors who made me the 1000 baht defective girls' blouse with quickly fading dye and the ultra-stiff collar.

---

It starts with getting natural fabrics - pure cotton for shirts, and Alas, when a BKK taylor mentions

ashmere or it is woven into the material, run away!

See these offers, 2 suits, 2 pants, 3 shirts and 5 ties all for $ 149 kind of ads? You will look real classy in polyester.

---

Great point. The OP want to name the place and price, but not the fabric. That sounds like when my mom talk about cars.

-"What kind of car was it?"

-"It was red!"...

The most important thing, and also the thing many tailors tamper with and make big profits of is fabrics. They may say it's Kashmir wool, but they stock cheaper China wool. They may have cotton fabric but often is below quality. Check the markings beforehand.

Imagine a car salesman selling Skodas at Rolls Royce prices. It's easy to to make good profits that way. Often people who don't know much get blinded by the fact that "it's bespoke". That mean absolutely nothing if the fabrics are below standard and the fitting crap. Most of the times you get a better deal if you buy of the rack.

Stiff collars are default for Rajawongse - I have the same problem, but actually it's good because after a few wears it's quite comfortable, kinda like new jeans.

As for "dye" - did u choose the fabric yourself? Did you follow the cleaning directions? If you had a complaint you should've taken it up with them - they will happily fix or replace.

Just wondering this post was started in 2007 after 2 years is OP still here.

anyway i have been to Romeo & Juliet Tailors

Romeo & Juliet

118 RATCHAPRAROP ROAD

NEAR INDRA HOTEL (PRATUNAM)

BANGKOK THAILAND 10400

I find they were good in prices as it depends on material to material their cheapest was THB2000.

One thing worth mentioning here is they are not pushy or agressive as i found other tailors are too pushy. They had let me browse at my pace, while browsing got free cold drinks sorry no bear :) to drink.

I do recomend Romeo & Juliet Tailors to all.

Stiff collars are default for Rajawongse - I have the same problem, but actually it's good because after a few wears it's quite comfortable, kinda like new jeans.

As for "dye" - did u choose the fabric yourself? Did you follow the cleaning directions? If you had a complaint you should've taken it up with them - they will happily fix or replace.

I chose the fabric myself and there were no cleaning directions but as I washed it on a cold wash with all my other shirts and that was the only one that faded, I suspect the inferior fabric is to blame.

• 2 months later...

I think Romeo and Juliet Tailor's House is like the best tailor shop every. I have been there recently and got suits made the fit perfectly and were very well made i recommend if you want to go to a tailor shop in Thailand go to that one and by the way here is the address:

Romeo And Juliet Tailor's House

118 Rajprarob road,

Bangkok 10400 Thailand.

Tel:02 2551747, 02 2551748, 02 6563705, 02 6563706

Mobile: 081 9180148, 081 658915

EMAIL:[email protected]

The price is good for the quality and your suit is always ready just 24 hours after the order

• 1 month later...
post-98198-1262493406_thumb.jpgI would also Recommend Romeo and Juliet Tailor's House they got me suits made for really cheap prices. They are having sale up to 50% i got my suit for a reasonable price so I would say you should quickly get something made from them the owner is Victor and he is a really kind guy if you want to see more about Romeo and Juliet Tailor's House their address is already given. So guys that's the 3rd vote for this Tailor shop.

Narin of Narin Couture is the only 'real' tailor in the whole of Bangkok, by which I mean he does full canvassing- the hallmark of the bespoke European suits since the 18th century. Most Asian tailors just do half canvassing, which does not give the jacket the full-body look necessary to look clean and drape well on the body (but is cooler). Even July's and the other hi-so tailors for royalty don't do full-canvassing, and on one occassion misrepresented to a poster here that they did. Even Narin needs lots of instruction from knowledgable customers to do a suit to their liking. In other words, I recommend Hong Kong if you really want a full, traditional suit, and they are actually probably cheaper than Narin anyway (around $1000 dollars rather than well above).