A Very Long Garden Hose

pete_r

For a small project... I'd be happy to find a garden hose or similar flexible pipe, 200 to 300m in length (I want to avoid connecting shorter pieces together).

Does anyone know of a supplier in Bangkok area?

Thanks,

Pete

The most common hose in long lengths is clear plastic and most larger hardware stores have a selection of reels of various size that they sell to your request. I don't know total size on these reels but believe they can probably provide, even if they have to order for you. As for the green garden hose as now sold in Lotus and such places do not know where that might be available in longer lengths, but again good hardware stores are probably your best bet.

Look for a shop that has lengths of blue plastic tubing out side, i am sure they will have some long hoses hidden away, if not they will point you in the right direction.

For a small project... I'd be happy to find a garden hose or similar flexible pipe, 200 to 300m in length (I want to avoid connecting shorter pieces together).

Thanks,

Pete

Hi

Although I cannot tell you where to buy in BKK I can confirm that it is possible to buy very long lengths.

My local store sells it buy the kilo and cuts it from a massive reel that they have in stock.

TBWG

Thanks,

Pete

Hi

Although I cannot tell you where to buy in BKK I can confirm that it is possible to buy very long lengths.

My local store sells it buy the kilo and cuts it from a massive reel that they have in stock.

TBWG

same for me as well, the local mom and pop store has most things for the home and garden, and they sell hose by the kilo- unusual really. But it comes on a huge roll, but not over 100m I would imagine. What do you want a run that long for? irrigation?

Also some green hoses are inferior. Have a close look, the better ones are thicker multiwalled and harder to pinch, meaning they wont kink and stop the flow of water as easy. Made that mistake before, lucky it was for a 10m hose.

For a small project... ...., 200 to 300m in length

When you say small project do you mean not long term, because otherwise you have me really confused....

Sure, if this is short term project one 200m pipe is better than setting up some complex connections, but if this is a long term deal, you have a really weird perspective of of what is big and small..... I can only say one thing to that... lucky ladies LOL....

My local (I think someone refered to earlier as a Mom and Pop set up, and I will say that these are the same) over by Don Muang has hose by the Metre upto 200 (I know, cos I had to haul the stuff onto the back of a pick up!), but I wanted mine to cut into lengths around the garden (10M) and bury loads for irrigation around the roses...

They have the heavy duty blue (great for burying, and flexible enough to get round minor corners) and then they have a Misty White, which is good for watering the lawn / washing windows.. but be careful even at 10m it kinks and tangles and is a pain in the ass...

Failing that... how about a (BIG!) watering can?

FormasianPaul > I wrote "small project" with half of my tongue in my cheek! :o

I will try the mom and pop shops near my place, but failing that, could you give directions to the shop you mention near Don Muang? That's close enough to my place, and 200m would be good already.

If I may, what was the price of the hose you bought?

Donnyboy > I'm thinking of a heat exchanger. I want a hose in one piece to reduce the number of connections and the risk of leaks. Once in place, the hose wouldn't move much, so I hope to avoid the kinks problem too.

Thanks all for the replies so far,

Pete

FormasianPaul > I wrote "small project" with half of my tongue in my cheek! :o

I will try the mom and pop shops near my place, but failing that, could you give directions to the shop you mention near Don Muang? That's close enough to my place, and 200m would be good already.

If I may, what was the price of the hose you bought?

Donnyboy > I'm thinking of a heat exchanger. I want a hose in one piece to reduce the number of connections and the risk of leaks. Once in place, the hose wouldn't move much, so I hope to avoid the kinks problem too.

Thanks all for the replies so far,

Pete

Directions... hmm I have trouble telling a taxi driver how to get to my place let alone one of other roads.. but I will give it a try....

Come of highway at Domestic Junction....

Get into Left lane (to avoid U-Turn Bridge)

Go past buses and then left lane again..

Turn left (so that you go alongside train tracks)

Over tracks, straight over and continue along this soi to junction

Turn left

Over small bridge (houses on side of road)

Row of shops - it's about 4 down.. loads of hardware stuff hung up

I (if memory is upto scratch) paid about 20baht / m for the cheaper (softer) pipe, 30Baht /m for the harder

Any more probs PM me and I will give better directions on phone, or let 'er indoors talk to you/ yours / taxi / anyone with better sense of direction than me... (which could be a cauliflower!)

My clear plastic hoses which are used in a garden so they have direct sunlight on them most of the time the sun is up all have algae or some other type of slimy stuff growing in patches on the inside. I believe that you will not have this problem if you get opaque hose.

Chownah

FormasianPaul > Thanks, that's a pretty clear set of directions. I've actually found a shop selling hoses for the same prices yesterday in my area (Ramintra / Minburi), but am still thinking which one to buy.

Giving directions to taxis has become easier since I've learnt "lieu sai", "lieu qua" and "tong pai", but most of the time I still ask the taxi to stop at the entrance of my soi and walk the 100m back home...

Bizz > Good idea, although I'm actually more concerned about leaks at the connections than damage to the hose, so I'd prefer to limit the number of connections I use.

Chownah > I've observed algae too in clear plastic hoses and indeed I will prefer an opaque one. Although the clear plastic is cheaper!

lannarebirth > That's an interesting alternative. Do you know if there is any difference in longevity between these irrigation tubings and usual garden hoses?

Thanks again for the replies,

Pete

You say you prefer an opaque hose so I guess it will not be buried? If that's the case and it's a longterm thing that will be out in the sun you need something that is UV proof or it will become brittle and crack eventually. The irrigation tubing suggested by lannarebirth is probably your best bet in that case.

• 3 months later...

I would go with Lan's advice!

I just ran 380 meters of black irrigation hose, It doesn't kink wont get the Funk in it -Last for 5- 20 years cost about a little less than 1000 baht 100 meters can be joined with a 20 baht joiner.

you can bury it or just lay it on the surface. The hose sounds like a pain in the butt as in time it will kink wither & perforate or waste away in the Thailand sun. The 20mm plastic is super easy to put in or on. Very easy & long lasting

Edited by Beardog