UK to be one of worst performing economies this year, predicts IMF

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

"Recessions mainly impact on mom and pop micro businesses not average workers."

Think about it. Wages are often set so stay the same. Mom and Pop business may lose 25% of their income. Covid killed a lot of them.

Some mom and pop businesses may lose money so working for nothing. No worker works for nothing.

Just now, bignok said:

Think about it. Wages are often set so stay the same. Mom and Pop business may lose 25% of their income. Covid killed a lot of them.

Some mom and pop businesses may lose money so working for nothing. No worker works for nothing.

They may lose 25% of their income even though unemployment may only rise by a few points?

And covid is hardly an apt example, is it, given that it kept people from their usual routines?

Also, there are other problems with your assessments of the effect of an unemployment rise.

What about the effect on 2 income households if one worker is laid off?

What about underemployment?

Loss of overtime?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They may lose 25% of their income even though unemployment may only rise by a few points?

And covid is hardly an apt example, is it, given that it kept people from their usual routines?

Also, there are other problems with your assessments of the effect of an unemployment rise.

Loss of overtime?

And what about those who aren't counted. Like young people entering the labor force for the first time.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Loss of overtime?

A micro business can work same hours less money. A worker who loses 5 hours still gets same hourly rate. So it's worse for the micro. I know a guy and wife they work 6 days a week each their hourly rate is not good. They work twice as hard as the average worker. Plus they have to pay rent on the business building. A worker doesn't do that. So it's always harder on micro businesses. 

17 hours ago, bignok said:

Not really. Unless they lose their job or run a business it has no real impact. A downturn affects some but many people have recession proof jobs so no impact.

Agree, Recessions made no difference to me and prices tend not to go up during a recession.

Inflation is far more of a worry now I'm on a pension.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Tell that to the Health Service workers who are having to go to food banks to feed their families.

But "I'm OK, Jack" lives on. 

PH

Homeless people have existed since forever. They cannot afford to feed themselves.

Given you are on the internet you are ok too. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, bignok said:

A micro business can work same hours less money. A worker who loses 5 hours still gets same hourly rate. So it's worse for the micro. I know a guy and wife they work 6 days a week each their hourly rate is not good. They work twice as hard as the average worker. Plus they have to pay rent on the business building. A worker doesn't do that. So it's always harder on micro businesses. 

Untrue. You make a lot of assumptions there. The chief one being what their net earnings were before and what they were after. Just because they may be netting less, doesn't mean that they aren't netting enough. As I supected, you've got nothing to back up your claimi.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, bignok said:

Homeless people have existed since forever. They cannot afford to feed themselves.

Given you are on the internet you are ok too. 

Yes homeless people have existed since forever. The question is has the percentage increased, decreased, or stayed the same.  If increased, by how much? The same goes for hunger. Has the percentage of people lacking the means to access adequate nutrition declined, stayed the same or increased. If increased, significantly so?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Yes homeless people have existed since forever. The question is has the percentage increased, decreased, or stayed the same.  If increased, by how much? The same goes for hunger. Has the percentage of people lacking the means to access adequate nutrition declined, stayed the same or increased. If increased, significantly so?

I don't know, you tell me.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Untrue. You make a lot of assumptions there. The chief one being what their net earnings were before and what they were after. Just because they may be netting less, doesn't mean that they aren't netting enough. As I supected, you've got nothing to back up your claimi.

Because I have spoken to these people. Also had friends work them. No assumptions at all. They work long hours for not much.

If the business goes well they can sell it after years of hard work. If not they are worse off than ordinary workers.

I'm amazed you don't know anything about micro businesses. Try talking to them.

Edited by bignok

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

I don't know, you tell me.

You're the one who dismissed the issue with a statement to the effect that they have always been with us.  You might as well have said nothing on that score. Your answer tells us nothing about how much of a problem it currently is.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You're the one who dismissed the issue with a statement to the effect that they have always been with us.  You might as well have said nothing on that score. Your answer tells us nothing about how much of a problem it currently is.

So you don't care about these people. That's what I thought.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Because I have spoken to these people. Also had friends work them. No assumptions at all. They work long hours for not much.

If the business goes well they can sell it after years of hard work. If not they are worse off than ordinary workers.

I'm amazed you don't know anything about micro businesses. Try talking to them.

Maybe you should publish your findings in The Journal of Because I Say So.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You could publish yours in "I only believe what I read when I want to believe it".

Somebody needs a little reminder.

From the landing page of the World News Forum

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

You have a problem with my linking to "approved credible sources" to back up my factual claims?

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

You have a problem with my linking to "approved credible sources" to back up my factual claims?

Nothing about posting personal experiences. You, and a couple of other posters on here, never believe personal experiences, if they go against your own agenda.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Maybe you should publish your findings in The Journal of Because I Say So.

Go talk to micro business owners. For some reason you want me to research everything for you. Do it yourself.

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Post the links that back up your claims.