Water wars turn nasty in north: Five injured as fists and bottles thrown

webfact

I'm quite used to this total crap. I spent 3-4 Songkrans in Pattaya a long time ago. Now I live on the outskirts of Bangkok. Only my wifes family or our close friends are welcome in our house for the next 7 days or so. I stocked up yesterday with plenty of food and booze so I have no need to go out. The biggest Songkran brawl I seen happened many years ago in Yasothon. I could sense there would be trouble as everyone was totally bombed by 3pm and carrying some sort of weapon. The neck end broken from a beer bottle was the most common. All of a sudden there were spot fires everywhere, several minutes later there were at least 100 guys brawling in the one fight. One hero drove his motor bike at a fair speed into the brawl. The bike came to a dead stop and the rider was absolutely pulveried by the pack. Did the guy survive, I don't know and I don't care. Anyway my wife and I along with our friends took off before the cops arrived. In saying that 30 minutes prior to the riot there were 10-12 cops in uniforms enjoying free drinks in the Lao Khow tent. Needless to say the concert was abandoned 4 hours before it was due to commence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The other part of Songkran victims.

It's not only traffic.

Just read the "childhood friend" stabbed to death story.

Alcohol and hooliganism don't mix well.

Sexual assaults are a problem too at this time.

"Playing Songkran" is used as an excuse for unwanted touching. I read an article a few years ago about it .

I've also seen gangs of men in rural villages stopping girls on their motorcycles by blocking the road and not allowing them to leave til they'd all rubber power on their faces, bodies, and had a flirt. Trying to force Laokao on them and steal kisses.

I mean, these nimrods out in the sticks stop every vehicle like that as if they own the place, but young girls on bikes get additional attention from the pack.

I've also known there to be a few child abductions over Songkran in the villages.

Edited by 2009
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

When one of your most prized holidays is a mass water fight for a week then you know the IQ of a nation

And ask any one of them what is the actual first Day of the Thai New Year.

Because there has to be a first Day- right ?

Is it today 12th April, 13th or what

They have no reply

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I nearly got into a fight near my step daughters house in Bangkok. It was Songkran and I was drinking with my son inlaw in a bar close by and this cretin continually kept on throwing crushed ice into the faces of passing motor cyclists. He thought it was his right to do what he wanted to do. When he bent over I noticed a decent size blade so I backed off. My son inlaw threatened him with a visit from the " MOB " with that he soon backed off.

Water wars turn nasty in north: Five injured as fists and bottles thrown

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Following a parade tempers got frayed when two pick-up vied for road space on Thap Chang road in the downtown area, reported INN.

So water wars didn't turn nasty, there was a fight over a parking space.