Closing SCB account from US

I departed in February 2020, right before the country froze up. I had an SCB account with about bt5000.  My ATM card is blocked (forgot PIN, tried too many times.)

I received a legal settlement into the account a month or so ago.  It is now a material amount of money.

When I call SCB call center, they say only way is to come back to Thailand.  

So, there has got to be a way to close the account from outside Thailand.  For example, what happens to the account of a decedent?  There must be some way using POA, etc. to close the account.

In your situation as you've laid out, (as with all Thai banks), you need to show up in person with passport and original bankbook.

Unfortunately because your ATM card is blocked and you don't have online banking, there is no other way to get your money out of the account, or transfer it to an overseas account.

Edited by couchpotato

If I remember well, it happens with me at the BB, the amount you are talking is to low to continue, every year they deduct a small amount until it is empty.

But as mention above, if you have access over the internet you can transfer to somewhere.

They don't let it go by calling, Just forget about 5000. In fact you are lucky the balance is not really a large amount otherwise it would be a real problem. Fortunately there will be no "overdraft" problem unlike US banks in case of fraud. 

Edited by The Theory

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

They don't let it go by calling, Just forget about 5000. In fact you are lucky the balance is not really a large amount otherwise it would be a real problem. Fortunately there will be no "overdraft" problem unlike US banks in case of fraud. 

15 hours ago, thinkingman said:

I received a legal settlement into the account a month or so ago.  It is now a material amount of money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, final report.

It turns out that the SCB withdrawal slip includes a power of attorney (in Thai), so it can be used sort of like a check.

I had to send a trusted friend in Thailand a signed copy of my passport, signed withdrawal slips (I sent 3, which he had earlier sent me) and the ORIGINAL bank book.  SCB branch also said they may verify by a Line video call.

Well sent all, my friend was a long time SCB customer known to the branch manager, so no Line call was needed.  The account was brought to zero by paying him and he immediately wired the money to me.

• Thumbs Up 2