Non-immigrant O Or B?

Greetings,

I will be working at a school (not as a teacher) in bkk and the letter of support from my employer asks to have a non-imm. B visa issued...the rep at the consulate here in Boston has said, "you don't need that, I'll just give you an non-imm. O."

Is there a difference? If so, is a B preferable?

Thanks...

Greetings,

I will be working at a school (not as a teacher) in bkk and the letter of support from my employer asks to have a non-imm. B visa issued...the rep at the consulate here in Boston has said, "you don't need that, I'll just give you an non-imm. O."

Is there a difference? If so, is a B preferable?

Thanks...

The B is the way to go. Tell the consular officer that your proposed employer really wants you to hold that class and not an O. If that doesn't convince them, you should apply at another Thai Consulate. Those in Texas are generally visa friendly and obliging. Good luck.

You did not mention your age or family status - it is unusual to be offered a Class O visa as a "default."

There is no hard and fast rule about which is better - Class O or Class B.

But - you may obtain a work permit and an employment-based long term entry permit extension after entering on either type of visa. What is extended is the "non-immigrant" status - not the particular entry permit class, per se.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

unusual to be offered a Class O visa

Not that unusual. Many of our clients get the "O" Visa as a default. But that happens mostly when no letter from the employer.

As for the work permit, it doesn't matter what visa it is. The "O" and "B" are the same. As some people say here... "Same same but different."

www.sunbeltasia.com

True but can you switch from the 'O" to the "B" here in Thailand. You would switch, if you are applying for the extension of stay. Its no problem to do so. A "B" visa would be the #1 choice but if they insist on giving the #2 choice. Take it!

www.sunbeltasia.com

I am having the same problem.I have to extend a NON-O on basis of employment this year.As steve mentioned earlier,is it necessary to apply for extension within 30 days of entry permit expiration?can we apply for extension,say 3 or 4 days earlier of our entry permit expiration?

are u sure that there won't be no any problems by the immigration officer?won't he ask anything regarding our marriage?coz in my case,I have been extending my NON-O since last 3 years on basis of marriage with a thai,but this year i have broken up with my wife but not yet divorced,living separately,she is not going to help me in visa extension this year and i don't have the marriage paper and her id card copies,and she won't give me as well.that's the reason I will extend my entry permit on basis of my employment.

You are applying under business extension not marriage. Different extension so why would the officer even care? May ask simply as it’s easier to get a business visa extension if you’re married to a Thai but if you state you’re divorced. You are judged by the typical requirements then of 4 Thais per foreigner, salary levels of employees and 2 million Baht registered capital with 1 million working capital.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Immigration says you you are allowed 90 days of the Visa extension being broken ( if you lost a job or were divorced) until you must get a new job or even a new wife or if you had a wife... a job or a job...a new wife :o Then you simply apply again for the extension of stay.

www.sunbeltasia.com