Thailand sounds alarm as Arcturus strain arrives just in time for Songkran

webfact

13 hours ago, lavender19 said:

Just had it . Nothing more than a fever ,sore throat and a cough for a few days. I've had worse colds.

For you perhaps..... but it killed 3000 in the last 7 days worldwide. Those are people who cannot report their symptoms. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

For you perhaps..... but it killed 3000 in the last 7 days worldwide. Those are people who cannot report their symptoms. 

yes not many....and most probable most were people with very limited life expectancy anyhow.....There were often weeks with the cemetery full when some new flu virus hit the very old people...I recall from a very small village 1000 people, every week another one died. That is sad but normal. Abnormal would be if it kills young people, that fortunately didn't happen.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, h90 said:

yes not many....and most probable most were people with very limited life expectancy anyhow.....There were often weeks with the cemetery full when some new flu virus hit the very old people...I recall from a very small village 1000 people, every week another one died. That is sad but normal. Abnormal would be if it kills young people, that fortunately didn't happen.

I am not of the opinion elderly people should not be protected. These are people over and above expected deaths. Thank heavens it is a situation far less severe than we saw a few years ago and unlikely to be anywhere near as bad again.  I have an elderly person staying with me ATM and have to consider that,

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am not of the opinion elderly people should not be protected. These are people over and above expected deaths. Thank heavens it is a situation far less severe than we saw a few years ago and unlikely to be anywhere near as bad again.  I have an elderly person staying with me ATM and have to consider that,

I think instead of dead people, we should count lost life years. If a 20 year old dies, he loose 63 years, If an 82 year old dies, he loose 1 year. I think a young person dying is a far worse tragedy. Of course everyone should stay safe.

1 minute ago, h90 said:

I think instead of dead people, we should count lost life years. If a 20 year old dies, he loose 63 years, If an 82 year old dies, he loose 1 year. I think a young person dying is a far worse tragedy. Of course everyone should stay safe.

Is society better off if an Albert Einstein equivalent dies at age 65 years than if an unemployed uneducated junkie does at age 20? I'm not trying to be provocative, merely pointing out the flaws in your suggested approach.

Just now, h90 said:

So should we let older people die? How are you calculating how many years an older person has left? Or perhaps we should consider social worthiness.... does a 80  year old man deserve to die or should we kill off a 30 year old on benefits who is pregnant yet again? Will you take the tablet at 83?