Starter Spray

h90

I tried to find Starter Spray in Thailand.

Maybe it is called different in English.....spray into the carburetor while or before starting. It burns much easier than gasoline. So it helps to start engines with low compression or in cold weather.

I have a volvo that has a problem and I want to use it to diagnose the problem...see if it starts with the help of that

31 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Redex maybe.

I tried to find on shopee + lazada, but nothing. Also one of our staff is a motorsport fan, he told they use some brake cleaner instead

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

So, your brother-in-law had a problem Volvo, so we all must trash them ............????

Isn't it strange that I had a 1988 Volvo 760 V6 auto estate which had 200,000 MILES on it when I sold it ....????

I had a 1973 Chevy Vega with an aluminum engine block and it had a zillion miles on it. The body finally rusted out and I had to trash it.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

"Carb-cleaner" works in the absence of Easy-Start.

Great! I'll try that....back in Farangistan, I used ether, but I would not know where I could get it in Thailand. And maybe too hot for that substance in Thailand....

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

So, your brother-in-law had a problem Volvo, so we all must trash them ............????

Isn't it strange that I had a 1988 Volvo 760 V6 auto estate which had 200,000 MILES on it when I sold it ....????

All the plastic parts complete fall apart and the automatic was broken...but I am not sure if it really was or if the repair shop killed it by bad repair. But else good

1 minute ago, h90 said:

Great! I'll try that....back in Farangistan, I used ether, but I would not know where I could get it in Thailand. And maybe too hot for that substance in Thailand....

In farangland you can buy Bradex Easy Start or Holt's do one too...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, h90 said:

All the plastic parts complete fall apart and the automatic was broken...but I am not sure if it really was or if the repair shop killed it by bad repair. But else good

Think we are talking about your brother-in-laws ride here, not quality Volvo's that some of us have had....????

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

Think we are talking about your brother-in-laws ride here, not quality Volvo's that some of us have had....????

I think we are talking about starter spray.....even Volvo is a useless information.....and brother-in-laws are irrelevant, unless they sell starter sprays or repair Volvos

18 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I had a 1973 Chevy Vega with an aluminum engine block and it had a zillion miles on it. The body finally rusted out and I had to trash it.

I had a 74 and will agree with you about the rusting problem, lived in Minnesota and after two years it started, a zillion miles on one motor, no way, you were lucky if you got to 60,000 with no major repairs, sold mine at 80,000 original motor and the dealership could not believe it was the original motor

Just now, KannikaP said:

But will not start in this cold weather!!!   555

But that gives it the best fuel efficiency it didn't need the gasoline station for years (which might be an additional problem...that now the gas is also went bad). Alone what I saved on gasoline would justify to buy it again.....That it can't move on its own is of course a small disadvantage

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, watchcat said:

Yes I'm sure, but the choke lever might also work, normally it does.

The purpose of the starter spray is also some test if the car would start "without" fuel....maybe the engine is complete fine and there is water in the fuel. Fuel comes into the engine....there are sparks on the spark plugs, but they seem weak, but I might be wrong. Maybe Gasohol in it and stand for a long time. Seal of the tank is OK, so maybe some water got inside. So I want to experiment a bit + the car is down in the South so I want to have everything that I might need on hand before I go down there.

My 1988 Volvo had an electric solenoid which controlled air intake on cold  startup, had a heat sensor in the air intake tube, and am sure elsewhere, but I can't remember. A complicated system all linked to what the ECU is doing. I do recall doing a cleaning job on the solenoid thingy...

• Like 1

Engines get addicted to Easystart once used they'll not start without it, it removes oil from the cylinder walls(especially diesels) , Try getting the starting problem fixed instead. The one in OZ was called Start U Bastatad

Edited by brianthainess
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Two things you need in toolbox, and that is wd40 and ductape, and you can fix almost everything 

I'm from close to Birmingham, all we need is a Birmingham screwdriver (aka hammer).

• Haha 2