Spare Wheelbase For Office Chair

CaptainSplod

Anyone know where I can buy a new base for my completely ordinary office chair? (Made

in Cheepo China, methinks - brand name is "Alta"). :o

The base is cast plastic and has 5 legs & wheels and a hole in the middle to insert the seat

support.

The blasted thing shattered when I went to sit in the chair, sending

me sprawling across the floor - much to the amusement of the gf. Yes, I SAW her

tittering away in the corner! :D Anyway - I rather like the chair and it's only the base part

that's gone - the rest is quite okay and it seems rather a

shame to throw the whole thing out if I can get a replacement base some place.

Ask at a furniture shop, you may say - and quite rightly, too! And what words of wisdom

did I hear from the totally disinterested staff at the 2 places I went to? "Buy a new chair!"

I'm aware that it's the throw-away mentality these days, but I still get bugged about throwing

stuff out which is only "slightly injured", but definitely not completely "dead". :D

Thanks for any good advice.

I miss my old chair

- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Same thing happens to me several times a year I'm afraid, these 'chinese office chairs' aren't made to withstand our western abuse. I was lucky to find a scrapped office chair with a metal base you never see anymore nowadays, and swapped the base out.

Good luck scavenging..

had exactly that problem just a couple of weeks ago....had to lean over to unplug the mobile charger and the wheelbase of the Index-special-offer-2500-baht-chair gave in.

Indeed, high entertainment value for the staff! :o

While we're on the subject of looking for spare parts, I've lost the cap off my ball point pen. ....

Oh, how my wife laughed at first, but now it's making stains on the pockets of my shirts....so.....can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement top. I really don't want to buy a whole pen as it hasn't run out yet….

While we're on the subject of looking for spare parts, I've lost the cap off my ball point pen. ....

Oh, how my wife laughed at first, but now it's making stains on the pockets of my shirts....so.....can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement top. I really don't want to buy a whole pen as it hasn't run out yet….

Tried chewing gum?

And for all you office-chair destroyers - try losing some weight!

Anyone know where I can buy a new base for my completely ordinary office chair? (Made

in Cheepo China, methinks - brand name is "Alta"). :o

The base is cast plastic and has 5 legs & wheels and a hole in the middle to insert the seat

support.

The blasted thing shattered when I went to sit in the chair, sending

me sprawling across the floor - much to the amusement of the gf. Yes, I SAW her

tittering away in the corner! :D Anyway - I rather like the chair and it's only the base part

that's gone - the rest is quite okay and it seems rather a

shame to throw the whole thing out if I can get a replacement base some place.

Ask at a furniture shop, you may say - and quite rightly, too! And what words of wisdom

did I hear from the totally disinterested staff at the 2 places I went to? "Buy a new chair!"

I'm aware that it's the throw-away mentality these days, but I still get bugged about throwing

stuff out which is only "slightly injured", but definitely not completely "dead". :D

Thanks for any good advice.

try jimmy pinkys. large furniture place ,north side of pattaya klang , between carrefour and foodland.have seen there before down the back.

Put it in your pocket with the sharp end pointing UP!

Aaahh! At last - a REAL reply! Thanks - I'll try jimmy pinkys (weird name!?) very soon :o

Not so fast :D That's where I bought the chair that did the same as yours. One of the back legs snapped in half and in an instant the back of my head had bounced off the tiled floor.:D

Please report back if you find a good chair. I've still haven't bought a replacement, but there were some possibilities at HomeWorks and I intend to go back and have a second look.

-redwood

Aaahh! At last - a REAL reply! Thanks - I'll try jimmy pinkys (weird name!?) very soon :o

Not so fast :D That's where I bought the chair that did the same as yours. One of the back legs snapped in half and in an instant the back of my head had bounced off the tiled floor.:D

Please report back if you find a good chair. I've still haven't bought a replacement, but there were some possibilities at HomeWorks and I intend to go back and have a second look.

-redwood

im not making any comment on quality.it wont make any difference where its bought,as they dont make them ,merely sell them.

i think most people who live here have probably had the same experience with office chairs(i have ,twice!!)

a chair with a metal base is much stronger,but more expensive also,but that wasnt the op,s question.

I had the same happen with a cheap Chinese office chair where the metal base broke off after a few months. Took it to the local garage where they welded it back together for free. However the heat of the welding inadvertently melted some of the plastic components in the base and the chair is now now longer adjustable - just stuck in one position :o . Still, may get a few more months life out of it lol

Well, just bought 3 NEW OFFICE CHAIRS in Carrefour! They had a sale on (though I didn't know beforehand) and I saw they had chairs reduced from 1300 to 799 baht - so bought 3 of the buggas! Mind you, I'll still try getting a spare base - ain't giving up on that one! :o

tried your idea but now my beard is matted with blue ink - things are getting messy.

My wife is furious - the inside of her thighs are now blue - somebody HELP! I'm getting desperate.

Well, just bought 3 NEW OFFICE CHAIRS in Carrefour! They had a sale on (though I didn't know beforehand) and I saw they had chairs reduced from 1300 to 799 baht - so bought 3 of the buggas! Mind you, I'll still try getting a spare base - ain't giving up on that one! :o

why don't you use the base off one of the new ones????

tried your idea but now my beard is matted with blue ink - things are getting messy.

My wife is furious - the inside of her thighs are now blue - somebody HELP! I'm getting desperate.

Since my first suggestion apparantly ruined your sex life, could you wrap the offending ballpoint pen in an unused condom to save on your laundry bill?

Failing that, a beard trim might be in order.

Oh, I like your idea about using the third chair for spares. Lot's of airlines use this theory to save money on airplane upkeep.

I've taken up your idea but adapted it a little.....instead of the pen I've put my beard in the now redundant condom (how many times can you wash 'em anyway?)....only thing is now I feel a bit of a dick-head.

I've taken up your idea but adapted it a little.....instead of the pen I've put my beard in the now redundant condom (how many times can you wash 'em anyway?)....only thing is now I feel a bit of a dick-head.

:o:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Aaahh...been looking for this thread for some time! I went to the mentioned furniture shop om Pattaya Klang after unscrewing the seat pole and broken wheelbase. Very nice and efficient service and they changed the wheelbase for 300 baht, all inclusive! Now I have an almost new office chair again. Thanks for the help - and I'm glad that I didn't have to throw the chair out, after all! (Well, not YET, anyhow!). :o

Aaahh...been looking for this thread for some time! I went to the mentioned furniture shop om Pattaya Klang after unscrewing the seat pole and broken wheelbase. Very nice and efficient service and they changed the wheelbase for 300 baht, all inclusive! Now I have an almost new office chair again. Thanks for the help - and I'm glad that I didn't have to throw the chair out, after all! (Well, not YET, anyhow!). :o

My wheelbase is also broken. Could you give the exact location of this furniture shop?

Open fronted furniture shop between Foodland and Carrefour (enormous place!). They got lots of bar stools and office chairs out front. :o

Cheers - and good luck

Thank you. I'll check it out.