Fencing

What is your favourite fencing movie?

Rabbit Proof Fence was pretty moving

The Mask of Zorro was one of the first

Douglas Fairbanks established the genre, but there are more recent.

I like Snatch, which is loosely about fencing…

Gotta be The 3 Musketeers. 1973 version by the director of Hard Day's Night. Most of the actors had spent some time in classical theatre and could really fence.

But prob any of the many versions of 3M would be fencing-heavy.

There was also a good sequel, cobbled together from outtakes that the actors didn't get paid for.

Laughed at Rabbit Proof Fence. One of the only Australian films that even a few Americans know about that doesn't have Mad Max in it.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Gotta be The 3 Musketeers. 1973 version by the director of Hard Day's Night. Most of the actors had spent some time in classical theatre and could really fence.

But prob any of the many versions of 3M would be fencing-heavy.

There was also a good sequel, cobbled together from outtakes that the actors didn't get paid for.

Laughed at Rabbit Proof Fence. One of the only Australian films that even a few Americans know about that doesn't have Mad Max in it.

You are right about the three musketeers.  
If we were to grade Australian films, then films sans Mad Max would have to be a pass / fail criterion.
But on the specific topic of fencing, I think the Mad Max films - although Australian - have less fencing than for example, The Great Escape.

Mel Gibson 0 - 1 Steve McQueen.

He's not Rudolph Valentino, but few of us are.

Back in the day, the Duke of Hamilton took a visiting American - possibly a distant relative by marriage - on a tour round his estate.
"Man, my ranch in Texas - it takes me two days to drive round it"
"Aye, I had a car like that once, but my man Ian fixed it.  Do you want him to help you out?"

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Surprisingly, Harlem NYC has a fabled fencing team. It's not just a white and posh sport. But it mostly is.

There are normal people who play most sports - probably even yacht racing and polo.

But when it comes to fencing, who can resist the homonyms?
No-one with a sledge hammer, I suggest.  

If I can be permitted a minor digression, I was working back in the day in Manchester, and, as you know, there was a ... as I tell this, I am wondering about the crediility of the story ... anyway, there was a hardware store at the approach to Picadilly Station, and perhaps I had gone there in my lunch hour, because for sure i recall the subsequent conversation as taking place at Oxford Road....
Anyway, with a bit of Errol Flynn fencing planned for the weekend, I had picked up a sledgehammer on my way home, and as I went down to the platform to be met with an announcement of train delays, a wag in the crowd cried out ":Steady on, mate, it's not that late!".
Happy days, made happier by the selectiveness of our memories... 

21 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

What was the film in which the protagonists melted the stolen gold into Eiffel Towers? 

The Lavender Hill Mob, 1951 Ealing Comedy with Alec Guinness and Stanley Holloway.

There's that Madonna fight scene in the 2002 James Bond Die Another Day with Pierce Brosnan, in reality stunt double Steven Paul.

For a "heavier metal", then former silver medalist in the 1998 and 1999 World Championships and Team GB  Olympic Foil champion and 5th place in Sydney 2000, then none finer than Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden fame.

In terms of Alec Guinness then the Star Wars saga, after all Light Sabrering is a form of dueling!

• Like 1