Man Rams Benz Into Bus Passengers, Killing One

george

Driver apologises to victims

Arrest warrant for murder and assault served on Kanpitak in hospital

Kanpitak Pachimsawas yesterday apologised to his seriously injured victims for the first time since he swerved his Mercedes-Benz sedan into a crowd of people on a Bangkok footpath on Wednesday night.

The 20-year-old man expressed his remorse on the same day the court issued an arrested warrant for him on three grave charges - premeditated murder, attempted murder and assault and battery.

The notice was delivered to him at Samitivej Hospital, where he was undergoing treatment for injuries.

The apology came to the public in the form of a brief note he wrote to Saengmanee Imsolary - one of the injured - at Camillian Hospital. It was passed to Saengmanee together with a bouquet by Kanpitak's mother, Savinee Pakaranang, a former Miss Thailand.

"To Khun Saengmanee and family, I deeply regret the devastation to your lives caused by my action. I apologise, Ham," said the note. Ham is his nickname.

The message became the first time the young man, claimed by his family as having mental problems, had communicated with the victims since he ploughed into them.

Savinee said Kanpitak was worried about them and wanted to say he was sorry directly himself, but he could not get out of his hospital bed due to thrombosis in his legs.

He was wounded as angry bystanders attacked him for killing one person and seriously hurting two with his Benz.

"Ham does want to take action against those who assaulted him. I want everyone to listen to his own words when he gets well. I beg the media to justify him," Savinee said.

Her words contradicted what Kanpitak's father Kan-anek said on Friday, that he would take legal action against those who had damaged the Benz and hurt his son.

Colonel Jirawat Phumijit, superintendent of Thonglor police station, said he would discuss with doctors a good way to detain Kanpitak while under arrest.

Families of victims have gradually reported to police to demand compensation from Kanpitak and take legal action against him.

Representatives of Nam Song Hotel in Laos, where Laotian Saengmanee worked, reported to investigators at Thonglor police station, determined that they wanted to take criminal action against Kanpitak.

Saengmanee is still in serious condition with three broken ribs and a big wound on her back.

Wisit Wisitsoraat, director of the Justice Affairs Office under the Justice Ministry, offered assistance to victims and families who had difficulties in taking legal recourse against Kanpitak. He said the Justice Fund under his office could provide financial support.

While being condemned by the public as a "spoiled hi-so brat", Kanpitak has also received moral support from his fan club. A website www.moohamfanclub.th.gs was launched to "protect and give moral support" to Kanpitak. However, the website was open for public comment for just several hours.

At noon, Kanpitak's fan club decided to shut down the site as too many messages censuring Kanpitak were posted.

- The Nation

=====================

A fan club??!?! :o:D :D

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o

What he did was awful and I feel very sorry for the family of the dead woman. However if you watched the footage on T.V its clear the guy has some very severe mental and depression problems. You shouldn't underestimate what this can do to normal people who are unfortunate enough to suffer from medically recognized conditions (not just a short temper etc..).

NR, Your right the guy is a danger to society but what he needs is mental care not just prison for the rest of his life as that isnt going to help anyone.

Jake

How can it be that care would consist of putting him in a position of respect and yes power as a monk? Then send him off to a village to take care of him by giving anything they can come up with no matter how poor as they look for guidence and solis from another very sick person now posing as a monk. This way of thinking is what makes it so difficult for the devout and true Budist.

Police obtain warrant for man's arrest

Police yesterday obtained a court warrant for the arrest of the son of a former Miss Thailand beauty queen who is being accused of ramming his Mercedes into a crowd at a bus stop, killing a woman and injuring several others. Three serious charges have been laid against him. Jiraphat Phumjit, chief of Thong Lo police, said investigators had asked the court to issue the warrant because the suspect had allegedly tried to avoid police questioning. Kanpithak, nicknamed Mooham, has been undergoing treatment for his injuries at Samitivej Hospital since the incident on Wednesday. Jiraphat said yesterday Kanpithak had not sustained any serious injury. For this reason, police believe he can be questioned over the incident. Pol Maj-Gen Anan Srihiran, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 5, said investigators had collected enough evidence to back the charges, but Kanpithak's doctor at Samitivej had not allowed investigators to question him. The doctor could be questioned for stopping police from getting access to his patient without a sound reason. Police may also ask that Kanpithak be transferred to the Police General Hospital. Speaking after visiting Ms Saengmanee at Camillian Hospital, Kanpithak's mother, Sawinee, pleaded for justice for her son, saying once her son's condition improves he will tell his side of the story. She said her son was not trying to avoid questioning and denied Kanpithak's doctor had tried to obstruct investigators.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/08Jul2007_news05.php

Edited by sriracha john

Genuine question here, as it's something that I don't know/understand about Thai culture. Do the Thais accept or welcome the one responsible for their loved ones' death (or their family/representative) at the funeral? I'm just thinking if there had been a person responsible for my father's or BF's death & their mother had turned up at the funeral, I'd have had them forcibly ejected. I wouldn't have been able to control myself if they were there.

Are the Thais more forgiving than us (ok, not us - me)? Or is it a face thing? Or is it simply because she's "higher class" than the victim's family?

Well, it's beginning to look promising that the police might actually do something about this one. Of course, it'll likely slip through the cracks when all the fuss dies down. I'm pleased that the Laotian hotel have filed a suit - that's more likely to be carried on with. I think "Moonham" (stupid name!) should slap a gag order on his father - he's really not helping his son's case, is he? :o

Edited by November Rain

I agree it is quite shocking how his father has reacted. I suppose he will be quite shocked himself though and is just trying to protect his son, still you would think he could find a less aggressive and more understanding stance instead of insulting the victims.

Edit: I would also add that I would see the mother or even the son turning up as a sign of respect to the victim and regret to what they did. If they dont come it shows to me they dont care about what they have done. Although I can also see why some people may be very uncomfortable with this.

Jake

Edited by madjbs

I had a look at his 'fanclub' website - www.moohamfanclub.th.gs. The background music is called 'Bad Day'. Not quite as bad a day as his victims had.... And what on earth has this guy got a fanclub for anyway?

Simon

I had a look at his 'fanclub' website - www.moohamfanclub.th.gs. The background music is called 'Bad Day'. Not quite as bad a day as his victims had.... And what on earth has this guy got a fanclub for anyway?

So his parents can make a pathetic use of their resources.

Daniel Powter - 'Bad Day' lyrics

Cause you had a bad day

You're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know

You tell me don't lie

You work at a smile and you go for a ride

You had a bad day

You've seen what you like

And how does it feel for one more time

You had a bad day

You had a bad day

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Note to Kanpithak:

It's not you that had a bad day, it's her:

victim.jpg

Justice would have been served if the crowd assaulting this sick sh*t had gone all the way.

I agree.

So basically, you are saying that law and order should be put aside in favour of "mob rule"? You missed kristalnacht by 75 or so years.

Some of you people amaze me. The first to expel urine all over the government for perceived faults or to complain about tea money, but the first to put forward vigilante actions when it's convenient.

Please think about the idiocy you are espousing. When you allow mobs to do as they wish there is anarchy. I think plenty of male expats would be quite worried if a mob showed up looking to dispose of people for their presumed illegal and inappropriate activities.

Thankfully, Thailand has a justice system, which for all its warts does work and is far better than the alternative of random beatings and violence.

Justice would have been served if the crowd assaulting this sick sh*t had gone all the way.

I agree.

So basically, you are saying that law and order should be put aside in favour of "mob rule"? You missed kristalnacht by 75 or so years.

Some of you people amaze me. The first to expel urine all over the government for perceived faults or to complain about tea money, but the first to put forward vigilante actions when it's convenient.

Please think about the idiocy you are espousing. When you allow mobs to do as they wish there is anarchy. I think plenty of male expats would be quite worried if a mob showed up looking to dispose of people for their presumed illegal and inappropriate activities.

Thankfully, Thailand has a justice system, which for all its warts does work and is far better than the alternative of random beatings and violence.

Oh, please... A little melodramatic, no? :o Thailand has a justice system that never really punishes people like this kid. And his ilk; dek faak offspring of "influential" people. I don't think anyone could blame the people that weren't rammed by this pillock for giving him a serious beating or worse. It would be a real tragedy obviously...Human nature at its finest.

I agree.

No, we do not allow mobs to do as they wish. This will be a murder case then. And those involved will be hunted. I doubt though they would be caught. It does seem though some sort of justice would have been done. Just different way of doing things.

Do you think we are going to see justice now? I don't think so.

Police obtain warrant for man's arrest

Police yesterday obtained a court warrant for the arrest of the son of a former Miss Thailand beauty queen who is being accused of ramming his Mercedes into a crowd at a bus stop, killing a woman and injuring several others. Three serious charges have been laid against him. Jiraphat Phumjit, chief of Thong Lo police, said investigators had asked the court to issue the warrant because the suspect had allegedly tried to avoid police questioning. Kanpithak, nicknamed Mooham, has been undergoing treatment for his injuries at Samitivej Hospital since the incident on Wednesday. Jiraphat said yesterday Kanpithak had not sustained any serious injury. For this reason, police believe he can be questioned over the incident. Pol Maj-Gen Anan Srihiran, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 5, said investigators had collected enough evidence to back the charges, but Kanpithak's doctor at Samitivej had not allowed investigators to question him. The doctor could be questioned for stopping police from getting access to his patient without a sound reason. Police may also ask that Kanpithak be transferred to the Police General Hospital. Speaking after visiting Ms Saengmanee at Camillian Hospital, Kanpithak's mother, Sawinee, pleaded for justice for her son, saying once her son's condition improves he will tell his side of the story. She said her son was not trying to avoid questioning and denied Kanpithak's doctor had tried to obstruct investigators.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/08Jul2007_news05.php

Let me guess, dad had a talk with a doctor, maybe even a friendly donation was made so that the son appears to have suffered serious injuries. They're trying to pull a Pojaman.

I agree.

You obviously haven't lived in the South of Thailand and seen the kind of ad hoc justice meted out on farang and others by the small local villages belonging to that other religion here when an outsider runs over one of their own (or even endangers). (please this is not a slam on that religion, just a note of different ways local cultures dispense justice as they always have)...irrespective of the national and local enacted laws.

I agree.

Oh, please... A little melodramatic, no? :o Thailand has a justice system that never really punishes people like this kid. And his ilk; dek faak offspring of "influential" people. I don't think anyone could blame the people that weren't rammed by this pillock for giving him a serious beating or worse. It would be a real tragedy obviously...Human nature at its finest.

google Duangchalerm Yoobamrung if you want to see Thai justice for the wealthy and well-connected.

The idea that his father a police officer in one of the most corrupt countries on the planet. Can take responsibility is insane.

Poor people are given incredible sentences in this country for victimless crime.

This guy will not go to jail. Another rich person having a tantrum.

What a very ugly and sick society we live in.

Killed because some rich kid lost his temper with a bus driver.

Poor lady.

So right. This is the thing that really makes me sick. I know another guy (a lo-so Thai) who went to jail for helping 2 other guys steal 300 dollars worth of used wood from a former employer. They were caught, they said sorry, they paid the employer back, the employer said he wanted to leave it at that, but the prosecutors went ahead anyway - the guy got 3 years in prison - on a 1st offense.

Couple this with the outrageous statements made by the father (front page of Bangkok Post 7-7-07) that the bus conductor was a lo-so with no education, and the people who 'attacked' his son's "car" would be sued very nearly made me vomit.

Then he said he would 'pay compensation' to the dead and injured 'as long as it wans't too much'. Then he threatened them!

I tell you, when I first read that I wanted to go find a few rocks of my own, find out where hi-so 'daddy' works, and lead a vigilante mob to the place!

And I'll bet this sh+t was one of those rich people taking part in the Bangkok demonstrations every week prior to the coup to make sure 'the right people' got their power back..

your remarks are really reasonable, but who in Thailand with money and relatives in higher positions will be judged guilty ??

The high and the mighty have all the rights here to do what they want and are able to come out clean every time.

Was watching it on the news this morning, the guy's obviously mentaly unstable. Why the ###### is someone who's known to suffer from seziures allowed to drive anyway?

your remarks are really reasonable, but who in Thailand with money and relatives in higher positions will be judged guilty ??

The high and the mighty have all the rights here to do what they want and are able to come out clean every time.

Very true, but surely the same would apply in almost any country in the world. If you have money and/or position, you can circumvent the law most times and most importantly you EXPECT to. Just ask G.W.B. :o

Any information on what model of Mercedes that was involved?

I'd be interested in knowing just what the gross weight of this deadly missle was...

I've tried to look for the info in various Thai websites, but it has not been mentioned anywhere. :o

I've only found a pic posted on a well-known Thai webboard.

post-7865-1183896945_thumb.jpg

"From now on, I won't let my son drive. He will also enter the monkhood in dedication to his victims," Kan-anek said.

What about doing some serious jail time first, first degree murder!

Bah I just found out I sparred this punk a few years ago (Tae Kwon Do), I was being very nice but knocked him on his butt anyway.... wish Id caved in his ribcage. He DOES NOT have any mental problems outside of being a young man of weak character, hes as normal as any other rich little bastage with no sense of morality in Thailand. These claims that he is mentally disabled are complete lies.

Damian

Just another example of the bloody rich and famous and well connected getting away with it again.Paris Hilton springs to mind.She made a million giving an interview after her brief stint in jail!

Edited by Momo8

This is a tragic event no mater how you cut it, and I don’t want to make a profile on this as it is on going but I will say that finding a 20 year old Thai behind the wheel of a Mercedes does not suggest financial stress but more attitude wrapped in ego. I suspect that is how this will play out with someone trying to buy their way out of this.

I have good new readers,

NO ONE IS GUILTY OF ANYTHING.

Our psychology controls our actions.

Our psychology is a product of both our genes and environment.

We have little control over either of the above influences.

Hence we have little control over our actions.

Hence our culpibility when we perfrom damaging actions is minimal.

Or then there's this,

Sane people do not perform insane actions.

An individual who acts insanely must therefre be insane and hence not culpable for their actions.

(This one might be called the "Klinger" defence, or see Catch 22 where it was originally sourced)

E.g. Is it ever sane to run over a crowd of people over a minor traffic incident? Knowing u will get caught? Of course not, you're insane and must be medicated, not jailed!

Or maybe you're usually sane but just for a tiny moment you did something crazy, like putting a gun at your bank managers head and pulling the trigger, well that's OK too because you must have been....

TEMPORARILY INSANE!! You get off too!

Let me guess, dad had a talk with a doctor, maybe even a friendly donation was made so that the son appears to have suffered serious injuries. They're trying to pull a Pojaman.

Dictionary Update

The word M-A-L-I-N-G-E-R-I-N-G has a new spelling, it's P-O-J-A-M-A-N (but P-O-T-J-A-M-A-N is also acceptable).

I'd be interested in knowing just what the gross weight of this deadly missle was...

I've tried to look for the info in various Thai websites, but it has not been mentioned anywhere. :D

Thank you....

any Mercedes experts out there that can identify this model?

from the news reports the plate number on it is "6699" :o

I have good new readers,

NO ONE IS GUILTY OF ANYTHING.

Our psychology controls our actions.

Our psychology is a product of both our genes and environment.

We have little control over either of the above influences.

Hence we have little control over our actions.

Hence our culpibility when we perfrom damaging actions is minimal.

Or then there's this,

Sane people do not perform insane actions.

An individual who acts insanely must therefre be insane and hence not culpable for their actions.

(This one might be called the "Klinger" defence, or see Catch 22 where it was originally sourced)

E.g. Is it ever sane to run over a crowd of people over a minor traffic incident? Knowing u will get caught? Of course not, you're insane and must be medicated, not jailed!

Or maybe you're usually sane but just for a tiny moment you did something crazy, like putting a gun at your bank managers head and pulling the trigger, well that's OK too because you must have been....

TEMPORARILY INSANE!! You get off too!

What you say is exactly understood by everyone. That's why it is the body that we are punishing. It is only the body that is being kept in prison. The mind is free to go anywhere it likes. We know the innocence of the mind and it was not the mind which committed the crime.

I've tried to look for the info in various Thai websites, but it has not been mentioned anywhere. :D

Thank you....

any Mercedes experts out there that can identify this model?

from the news reports the plate number on it is "6699" :o

looks like an e220 cdi :D

I agree.

anyone remember the guy who broke the brahma statue at erawan intersection - he was beaten to death - and that was not even for killing anyone! :D

wasn't he also later described as mentally ill? :D shouldn't he then be a resident of a luxury suite at samitivej hospital? justice system - not!