Hisense TV any good ?

tgw

since my not so old TCL TV stopped working, I wonder if Hisense TV are durable ? any experiences ?

I'm considering buying one of their not-so-smart 4k models, for use with a media player box.

Was using a 65" for a year recently. I personally wouldn't purchase one.

The remote and OSD were cheap/poor all around compared to the latest from LG and Samsung.

Had to point remote directly at the IR receiver on the bottom left of the TV to get button presses to register.

It would shut off at night when I wasn't in front of it. I never setup internet access on it, and I couldn't find a time setting anywhere, or any other setting related to shutting off at certain times, but for whatever reason, it would shut itself off late at night if I was at a table a bit off to the side using my laptop. But when on the sofa in front of it, it never shut off. I wonder if there was a camera or some other sensor in the TV and it sensed that nobody was in front of it watching so it would turn off. I'm glad I never connected it to the internet.

Have LGs now and couldn't be more pleased with the picture (better than Hisense), connectivity (HDMI + optical to sound bar work flawlessly), remote, etc. They just work. If there was anything I didn't like about the OSD / home screen, there's a setting in there to change it. Similar experience to recent Samsung TVs I've used.

If I was going to purchase now, I'd go with a cheap LG or Samsung over Hisense if all you need is a "dumb" display with good/working connectivity options.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a 65" Hisense 4K TV from PowerBuy about 2 years ago and have it connected via eARC HDMI to my Marantz AV receiver which is connected to an Android media player box.

It is also connected to my home network by Cat5E ethernet cable, so software/firmware updates happen automatically when it is in standby mode.

As it is connected to my home network I can use the TV remote to connect to YouTube (and Netflix if I had a subscription) and the eARC HDMI would pass the audio channels back to my AV receiver and play the sound on my surround speaker system.

I have never had a problem with it and have been very happy with the picture quality and resolution.

I don't normally use the remote control for it except for turning it on and off, as everything else is controlled by my air mouse.

Occasionally we get power outages and brownouts which upset all electronics including the TV, but turning everything off, waiting 15 seconds, then turning everything on again (aka a hard reset) always fixes the problems.

If and when this one dies, I would definitely consider another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have one . Big mistake. Picture is good but like a phone you have to clear cache regularly otherwise picture jumps.

Really pissed off about this. The day we went to Tesco to buy a TV there was a sale on and we could have bought a SHARP television 42 inch smart TV for 5500 baht. But the salesman said the Hisense was better, had more features was worth the extra 2000 baht. He said it was made in Thailand whereas in fact it is a Chinese brand. 

Next time they have a sale I will get another television and relegate this one to the bedroom  and if I ever see the salesman again I will tell him he gave us a bum steer.

Just now, Denim said:

Picture is good but like a phone you have to clear cache regularly otherwise picture jumps.

I have never "cleared the cache" on my Hisense TV... do it regularly on the Android box of course but never the TV. :blink:

I guess you are using the "smart" features of the TV and not like a dumb monitor like I am?

2 hours ago, Encid said:

I bought a 65" Hisense 4K TV from PowerBuy about 2 years ago and have it connected via eARC HDMI to my Marantz AV receiver which is connected to an Android media player box.

It is also connected to my home network by Cat5E ethernet cable, so software/firmware updates happen automatically when it is in standby mode.

As it is connected to my home network I can use the TV remote to connect to YouTube (and Netflix if I had a subscription) and the eARC HDMI would pass the audio channels back to my AV receiver and play the sound on my surround speaker system.

I have never had a problem with it and have been very happy with the picture quality and resolution.

I don't normally use the remote control for it except for turning it on and off, as everything else is controlled by my air mouse.

Occasionally we get power outages and brownouts which upset all electronics including the TV, but turning everything off, waiting 15 seconds, then turning everything on again (aka a hard reset) always fixes the problems.

If and when this one dies, I would definitely consider another.

Thanks for the review.

I have one question: does any part of that TV get hot when playing videos encoded in H265 ?

Edited by tgw

Just now, tgw said:

Thanks for the review.

I have one question: does any part of that TV get hot when playing videos encoded in H265 ?

Not that I know of...

In any case my TV does not do the 10-bit HEVC H265 codec translation... the Android box with Kodi or VLC software does.

• Thanks 1

I have a Hisense 70" "E7G, purchased 2 years ago through Lazada; Hisense store.  It is used daily.  I stream through a mini-PC and also view broadcast channels via antennae.  It has Android TV built in but I rarely use it.  I do not use it for games.  I do use it for internet browsing via the PC.
I an very happy with it.  Color seems bright and accurate,  The picture is sharp with no judder when viewing fast moving sports.   I'm not a particularly critical viewer but I have run some display test like various flat color fields and the display is excellent with only minor brightness inconsistency around the edges, totally invisible viewing normal content,  Sound quality is fair.  I use accessory powered speakers.  No performance issues at all with the TV or remote.  I would buy Hisense again.  

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dddave said:

I have a Hisense 70" "E7G, purchased 2 years ago through Lazada; Hisense store.  It is used daily.  I stream through a mini-PC and also view broadcast channels via antennae.  It has Android TV built in but I rarely use it.  I do not use it for games.  I do use it for internet browsing via the PC.
I an very happy with it.  Color seems bright and accurate,  The picture is sharp with no judder when viewing fast moving sports.   I'm not a particularly critical viewer but I have run some display test like various flat color fields and the display is excellent with only minor brightness inconsistency around the edges, totally invisible viewing normal content,  Sound quality is fair.  I use accessory powered speakers.  No performance issues at all with the TV or remote.  I would buy Hisense again.  

ok another satisfied HiSense user, thanks for the report

I'd be more interested however to know if these still work after 5 years or more, if anyone could report on older TVs ?