The campaign promises and populism shaping Thailand’s 2023 election

webfact

image.png

The huge number of so-called populist promises being made in campaigning for Thailand’s election may have overwhelmed many voters. But political parties are hoping that at least some of these pledges stick in voters’ minds as they enter ballot booths on May 14.  

Pongsatorn, a new graduate from a technical college in the North, said Pheu Thai’s pledge to raise the minimum monthly salary of bachelor’s degree holders to 25,000 baht was appealing because he now plans to study for a degree.

“I think I will vote for Pheu Thai because of this policy – even though I would otherwise prefer another party,” he said.

He said that while nobody knows for sure if Pheu Thai would actually be able to raise monthly salaries that high, the party’s track record on similar pledges offers hope. When Pheu Thai came to power in 2011, it honored its campaign policy to raise the minimum daily wage to 300 baht, and the monthly salary of bachelor’s degree holders to 15,000 baht.

“The promise of a higher salary matters because living expenses are now so high,” he said. “My rented room alone costs me 5,000 baht a month.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-campaign-promises-and-populism-shaping-thailands-2023-election/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pongsatorn, a new graduate from a technical college in the North, said Pheu Thai’s pledge to raise the minimum monthly salary of bachelor’s degree holders to 25,000 baht was appealing because he now plans to study for a degree.

Easy promise for them make, but can industry cover the cost of the mandatory salary?

Surely your wage should reflect your ability within the company, not what a "no fail" bachelors degree system" means.

• Like 2

Raising the minimum wage for someone who holds a degree??????????????????????

As Terry Pratchet said:

"In most cases, a higher education gives not higher skills but a better range of excuses (for incompetence and corruption)"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

So would this raise be for every job?  Wouldn't that mean that there's a chance that businesses would simply become less likely to hire graduates?

Well, if PT honors their promise again, all well and good. Thailand needs better education quality not quantity, but encouraging people to study is always positive.

Europeans strike for more money all the time. Thais seem to have to bear it.

• Like 1