Annoying People

Ulysses G.

I just ate breakfast at JJ's and there was a table full of young American tourists sitting at a long table eating while their lovely Thai guide talked on her cell phone in a normal tone and with little accent.

All of a sudden a European tourist started yelling and shreaking about how Americans have no respect for anyone else and should go outside to use the phone. He was much more annoying than the girl on the phone and was screaching at the top of his voice.

He got up and made a big show of paying his bill while complaining about "Americans" the whole time. On his way out the door he leaned back in and bleated BLAH, BLAH BLAH! while everyone did their best to ignore him.

He sure showed us. :o

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ate breakfast at JJ's and there was a table full of young American tourists sitting at a long table eating while their lovely Thai guide talked on her cell phone in a normal tone and with little accent.

All of a sudden a European tourist started yelling and shreaking about how Americans have no respect for anyone else and should go outside to use the phone. He was much more annoying than the girl on the phone and was screaching at the top of his voice.

He got up and made a big show of paying his bill while complaining about "Americans" the whole time. On his way out the door he leaned back in and bleated BLAH, BLAH BLAH! while everyone did their best to ignore him.

Maybe he missed out last night.

what does this have to do with any of us?

what did "I was robbed of 5 baht" have to do with us? Nothing. But it generated 50 responses read by 1400 people!!

We covered Israelis, so now let's hear all the pro/anti American rhetoric. Yawn, yawn.

If you've heard it all before - switch off now. This site has been overtaken by SOE's (Sad Old Expats) .

To the supervisors of this site ... If it's possible - delete my userid from your members list.

Any interesting forums out there?

You've got a point, ulysses; in fact, there are several there. Some European tourist totally out of line, blaming the wrong people for doing what he's doing even louder. Maybe it's a hazard of living in a tourist town and being so close to a neighborhood that almost gives Khao Sahn Road a run for its money for weird tourists. Anyway, your post doesn't seem to have any hidden innuendos. Or is that spelled innuendoes?

what does this have to do with any of us?

what did "I was robbed of 5 baht" have to do with us? Nothing. But it generated 50 responses read by 1400 people!!

We covered Israelis, so now let's hear all the pro/anti American rhetoric. Yawn, yawn.

If you've heard it all before - switch off now. This site has been overtaken by SOE's (Sad Old Expats) .

To the supervisors of this site ... If it's possible - delete my userid from your members list.

Only 27 posts and you've had enough?

I don't know people today have no staying power

To the supervisors of this site ... If it's possible - delete my user id from your members list.

I for one am sorry to see this guy go.

If you sift through his old posts, you find a whole treasure trove of fascinating information about Chiang Mai, Thailand and South East Asia as well as lots of little gems about Buddhism and Dharma that enlighten one just by reading them - one after another.

A master debater - it is easy to see how he could become impatient with us mere mortals. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yeah, a far higher percentage of Americans suck than Aussies. But that's cuz Aussies ROCK

(Never mind the fact that I left there hoping never to return)

It's a shame that I am often too shocked like a deer in headlights to get up and tell someone like this schmo to shut the fk up. Like why the hel_l can't someone talk on a phone in a freaking restaurant? I sure ain't getting off my lazy rump just to talk on the phone (unless it was with one of my other mistresses of course :D )

But yea, Americans sucking is another issue :D

Lol ... nice call :o

LOL.....I'm sure I suck some days too. Some days your the pigeon and some days your the statue.

Yeah, a far higher percentage of Americans suck than Aussies. But that's cuz Aussies ROCK

(Never mind the fact that I left there hoping never to return)

It's a shame that I am often too shocked like a deer in headlights to get up and tell someone like this schmo to shut the fk up. Like why the hel_l can't someone talk on a phone in a freaking restaurant? I sure ain't getting off my lazy rump just to talk on the phone (unless it was with one of my other mistresses of course :D )

But yea, Americans sucking is another issue :D

Lol ... nice call :o

I'm always amazed at the number of backpack tourists who sit in the guest house restaurants and chain smoke cigarettes, but do so very politely by holding their cigarettes behind their tables so they don't get smoke in the faces of those at their table. Of course, they get their smoke in the faces of all the people sitting in the tables behind them, but I suppose that doesn't count. :D

The other day I watched as a table full of young backpackers sat talking and smoking, with all three of the young ladies on one side holding their cigarettes behind them. Unfortunately, there was another table full of young backpack tourists sitting and smoking behind them, doing exactly the same thing. They must have burned each other at least four times while I was sitting there! :D

As a smoker who hasn't smoked in more than eight years, I'm amazed that I must have smelled as badly as these women did when I was smoking! If I had realized then what I can smell today, I would have quit before I started! And it's not their burning cigarettes that smell so badly. It's the stale ashtray smell that's in their hair and clothing that really stinks. I guess we all have to learn the hard way. :D

I understand why people older than me smoke. It was ultra- fashionable and no one knew the health risks and they became very hooked.

What I don't understand is why people under 50 start to smoke. Too many bad things have been known about it for a long time and it has become less and less accepted over the years.

The fact that young people are still becoming addicted today to a substance so unhealthy and so reviled is amazing to me. :o

I understand why people older than me smoke. It was ultra- fashionable and no one knew the health risks and they became very hooked.

What I don't understand is why people under 50 start to smoke. Too many bad things have been known about it for a long time and it has become less and less accepted over the years.

The fact that young people are still becoming addicted today to a substance so unhealthy and so reviled is amazing to me. :o

theres still some element of cool-ness to smoking these days, so I guess the young still want to try it out. I tried it out when i was at school many moons ago but it wasnt until we viewed a video at school about some older folks that smoked and the health they were in that really put me off- really graphic sick006.gif

must viewing for 13+ year olds thinking of smoking, what gives me a smile is the blurred images on tv smoking.

and the question to you older guys that still smoke, why doesnt the pictures on the cig. packs put you off? sick010.gif

The fact that young people are still becoming addicted today to a substance so unhealthy and so reviled is amazing to me. :D

Here's the mindset of far too many backpack types:

Backpacker: I'm a total vegan, and I only eat organic vegetables grown in a fair trade environment. No refined sugars or milled grains for me.

Complete Stranger: Want to try these pills?

Backpacker: Ok!

:o

I just ate breakfast at JJ's and there was a table full of young American tourists sitting at a long table talking in loud voices while their lovely Thai guide talked on her cell phone in a normal tone and with little accent.

All of a sudden a European tourist requested that they quiet down, but the Americans had no respect for anyone and continued being a generaL pain in the ass.

I think we need to read between the lines to get a balanced view. :D

Backpackers eh.. you can take em out of the trailerpark but....

I just ate breakfast at JJ's and there was a table full of young American tourists sitting at a long table talking in loud voices while their lovely Thai guide talked on her cell phone in a normal tone and with little accent.

All of a sudden a European tourist requested that they quiet down, but the Americans had no respect for anyone and continued being a generaL pain in the ass.

This must be MY BREAKFAST AT JJ'S: THE DREAM SEQUENCE :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Backpackers eh.. you can take em out of the trailerpark but....

Odd then that for all intents and purposes Chiang Mai, as a destination for foreigners, was built upon backpacker dreams. The entire trekking industry was built up upon the backs of backpackers so to speak and trekking is what put Chiang Mai on the map. Why if old man Daret hadn't started catering to backpackers in his old noodle shop location on Moon Muang then there might not have been a proliferation of guesthouses. And if there had not been a proliferation of guesthouses then the nicer hotels might not have been built. And then the major tourist attractions might have remained the Asian version of natural beauty such as the long forgotten Erawan resort. And without the tourist attractions and the upscale hotels then all those foreign food restaurants that all you neo-sahibs depend upon for your sustenance might not exist.

So you can slither up your pedestals all you want, but to mock the people who forged the ammenities in Chiang Mai that you depend upon is a bit ironic, if not narrow minded. :o

Well joking apart I agree with Johpa to some extent. There does appear to be some major differences in the backpacking community depending on where they're from. Europeans tend to be more laid back and respecting of Thai culture. Americans in groups can be very loud and obnoxious as UG pointed out.

Also, backpapckers tend to be young folk - mostly twentyish, are they not ?

While some antics might amuse ( I am remembering some beach party photos someone posted here once :o ) , I am sure many of us were not entirely polished in our behaviour at that age (& indeed, that many of us are still not :D. )

Most of them seem to be simply harmless, well intentioned young people.

Edited by WaiWai

Well said waiwai. There are so many different kinds of backpackers about, so would be unfair to lump them into one big pigeon hole. Yes, some are just plain inconsiderate and have no real wish to learn about or respect the culture around them, but most do, or at least go quietly about their business. Certainly with younger backpackers, is good to be tolerant, for with travelling and experiencing other cultures (and even making cultural and social blunders) they will hopefully broaden their minds. Its all a learning curve.

Actually, backpackers may look a bit grubby for the most part, but i would rather be around that than some well-dressed arrogant middle class person who comes to Asia to act like a King/Queen. Playing the big shot money spender (who still never leaves a decent tip) is the kind of tourist (or expat) that makes me feel embarressed as a westerner here, not the backpackers.

Sadly, some people cant see past their own noses.

Also, backpapckers tend to be young folk - mostly twentyish, are they not ?

While some antics might amuse ( I am remembering some beach party photos someone posted here once :o ) , I am sure many of us were not entirely polished in our behaviour at that age (& indeed, that many of us are still not :D. )

Most of them seem to be simply harmless, well intentioned young people.

We young backpackers do tend to get a little boisterous when we are having a good time (unlike the local expat barflies) and it is important that we learn to tone it down a bit when around more serious folk. Thanks for the reminder.

I just did two months Stateside, living out of a daypack and with hair hanging half-way down my back but tried my best to remember to shower at least once a week and not offend people older and wiser than myself.

When I first came to CM, I was actually one of those short-haired dudes on R&R from the war in Vietnam. That was in 1966 and I continued to return as often as possible, with longer and longer hair and smaller and smaller backpacks, until I finally moved here permanently in 2001. I still tend to avoid showers and get a bit loud now and then but it is not a negative indicator of my love for this country and her people.

I am thoughtful enuf to carry nose-clips and earplugs for those around me who cannot deal with my odor or my noise and trust that I will be forgiven for being a damned hippy backpacker.. :D

I am thoughtful enuf to carry nose-clips and earplugs for those around me who cannot deal with my odor or my noise and trust that I will be forgiven for being a damned hippy backpacker.

Right on, Dustoff ! Long live the middle-aged and senior backpackers, too :o.

There does appear to be some major differences in the backpacking community depending on where they're from. Europeans tend to be more laid back and respecting of Thai culture. Americans in groups can be very loud and obnoxious as UG pointed out.

Actually, I am always amazed at how loud Europeans and Canadians are in large groups of any type, mostly because they are so critical of Americans.

Most be something to do with LARGE GROUPS. :o

Well joking apart I agree with Johpa to some extent. There does appear to be some major differences in the backpacking community depending on where they're from. Europeans tend to be more laid back and respecting of Thai culture. Americans in groups can be very loud and obnoxious as UG pointed out.

UG didn't say that. In fact he said the opposite. He said the European was loud and rude. I have a German friend who charters whole jets to bring 200 Germans at a time to Central and South America. Midway across the Atlantic he gives them a captive 1 hour speech on good manners and tells them how cheap, rude , arrogant and condescending they tend to be and how he will have none of it on his tour. Me, I like Germans, but he knows them better than me.

Edited by lannarebirth

There does appear to be some major differences in the backpacking community depending on where they're from. Europeans tend to be more laid back and respecting of Thai culture. Americans in groups can be very loud and obnoxious as UG pointed out.

Actually, I am always amazed at how loud Europeans and Canadians are in large groups of any type, mostly because they are so critical of Americans.

Most be something to do with LARGE GROUPS. :D

Good one UG and I would rather go with that than single out any particular culture or nationality for loud or abusive behavior.

Not everyone would agree with that however and many think that generalizations, as unfair as they are to individuals, come about for a reason. An old farang friend of mine operated a hotel on Phuket for many, many years and found that he had to adjust his room assignments according to nationalities. He was fortunate enought to own two buildings on opposite sides of the street and reserved one for the 'noisy and inconsiderate' folks who he identified as Italians, Germans, Latinos and Israelis in that order.

Not only were the Italians, and to a lesser extent the Germans, very inconsiderate of others in the hotel, they were frequently abusive and violent with the girls they brought back to their rooms. I found it interesting that the local ambulance service always knew which building of his to go to when called and they got it right the great majority of the time.

Americans on the other hand, while arrogant and seem to think that they are from "the best country in the world", are usually on the respectful side when it comes to letting others get their sleep, treat the girls with respect and tend to tip rather generously. Italians, he said, don't tip at all, the French and Israelis will go to great lengths to avoid paying for anything whatsoever including their room, Germans are popular with the girls because they spend money generously but black eyes and bruises among the girls are not uncommon, as with the British. What the hey, smack the bitch, she's only a whore anyway, right?

I figure we all have the past and current reputations of our countrymen to deal with and the best we can do is not to indulge in any kind of prejudice whatsoever and keep our own act together as that is how we are going to be remembered as individuals.

Not that I am a saint - in fact my mother never seems to get the irony of calling me a son of a bitch... :o

Talking of Italians, my fathers side of the family are, and from my own experience they generally do have a tendency to be a bit ruckus and 'full on'.

It so happens i went into (i think it was a Starbucks) coffee shop recently in CM and an Italian family were in deciding on what to buy. I pondered what i wanted for a sec and as the family were still deep in deliberation I stepped up to the girl to place my order. I was about to open my mouth, when the Italian mum bellowed and i mean BELLOWED what they wanted. It was very long, drawn out, and elaborated too.."YES..WE ARE GOING TO HAVE. 'X', AND AND AND 'Y' and and OK um..che cosa uno? OK that one...and ...Hmm OK..WAIT...." and so on.

The girl behind the counter initially jumped out of her skin but eventually began to look a bit fed up. She motioned to take my order but the italian lady kept waving her finger about and saying "OK" as if she were ready, every time the girl seemed distracted.

As I was in no hurry and the girl seemed a bit stressed as to who to serve first i just smiled, stepped back, and waited. Anyway..found the 'show' they put on kinda interesting to watch in any case.

Finally, after the family (mum, dad & two kids) had sorted out their order and it was tallied up, they realised they didnt have enough money..so had to ask for the nearest ATM.

Eh, well...i got my order of coffee and a side order of Great Sense of Peace knowing most of my family are the other side of the world.

Edited by eek

Most be something to do with LARGE GROUPS. :o

I think you'll find the Canadians are actually Americans pretending to be from Canada :D