Married in USA - Wanting an uncontested divorce in Thailand

dingdongrb

21 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

No

As I stated, our USA marriage certificate and an affidavit from the US Consulate (Chiang Mai) stating we were married in the USA (when & where).

I find it humorous as well as annoying that no matter how many times I have stated we have not registered our marriage in Thailand that people are still questioning it.

Not questioning it. Just asked a question was all. I could not do an extension of stay in Udon based upon being married to a Thai with just being married in the US and having that paperwork. We had to register the marriage at the local Amphur here in Thailand.  When we divorced in the US we still had to get a divorce at the Amphur here in Thailand as well to remove it from the system here.

1 hour ago, Pink Mist said:

Not questioning it. Just asked a question was all. I could not do an extension of stay in Udon based upon being married to a Thai with just being married in the US and having that paperwork. We had to register the marriage at the local Amphur here in Thailand.  When we divorced in the US we still had to get a divorce at the Amphur here in Thailand as well to remove it from the system here.

"Not questioning it. Just asked a question was all."      What??????

I did 7 extensions (all in CM) and was never required to register.

Looking into the divorce and finding out the same thing from multiple sources we have two choices:

1) Go back to any state in the USA (according one poster, Guam) and stay in that state until it recognizes me as being a resident, then file for a divorce. Once the divorce is granted then Thailand will recognize it.

NOTE: States have different times (days/months) as to when they deem you are a resident.

2) register the marriage here in Thailand and then after Thailand provides the registration certs we can immediately get a divorce. The USA would recognize the divorce.

9 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

2) register the marriage here in Thailand and then after Thailand provides the registration certs we can immediately get a divorce. The USA would recognize the divorce.

Now, don't hold me to that suggestion. It was something I heard.  Or, maybe someone else commented one this and I missed it. ????????

(The process for divorce in Nevada was interesting...  But too much money for me).

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Now, don't hold me to that suggestion. It was something I heard.  Or, maybe someone else commented one this and I missed it. ????????

(The process for divorce in Nevada was interesting...  But too much money for me).

It was also mentioned by a Thai law office I contacted.

I contacted the Clerk of Court in Clark county (Nevada) and she said the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

W/O trying to hijack the thread, was wondering what a person would/could do if married by a judge in an office (in the states) and the Thai woman vanished 3 months later after returning to Thailand (4 months after the judge office thing). Add to this that the current location is unknown and it was over 25 years ago.

Would you still need to "serve papers" or just pay an annulment fee so that it just goes away like it never happened?

Might be an option for the OP as well.

Edited by mrwebb8825

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

W/O trying to hijack the thread, was wondering what a person would/could do if married by a judge in an office (in the states) and the Thai woman vanished 3 months later after returning to Thailand (4 months after the judge office thing). Add to this that the current location is unknown and it was over 25 years ago.

Would you still need to "serve papers" or just pay an annulment fee so that it just goes away like it never happened?

Might be an option for the OP as well.

No, it wouldn't be a choice for me because what you described isn't even close to my background.

21 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

No, it wouldn't be a choice for me because what you described isn't even close to my background.

the reason you present to the US office for the divorce would be your own - doubt it would be challenged or even investigated.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 3:04 AM, dingdongrb said:

She would have no reason to go after me as the divorce would be uncontested and with saying that she would have both residences here in Thailand as well as monthly alimony while I would keep the residence in the USA.

I am only concerned if the wife could pursue an adultery case against a girlfriend if there was no divorce here in Thailand. But if Thailand doesn't recognize us being married since we never registered here I don't foresee that as any possible issue.

Far as I know there is no "alimony" in Thailand. IMO that is just an American abomination thing.

Perhaps you mean you are buying her co operation.

As you have no amphur marriage certificate it would be rather "difficult" to get divorced in Thailand.