Colorado governor signs gun control bills after massacre

onthedarkside

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The "if it saves one life..." argument is a fallacy.  You could save tens of thousands of lives by outlawing tobacco.  You could save thousands of lives by reducing the maximum speed limit on all roads to 30 miles per hour.  Or mandating that all occupants of all vehicles (cars, busses, vans) wear helmets as well as seat belts. 

But we don't. Because all of life involves trade offs between competing factors.  This "one live" argument is simply a form of emotional blackmail.

I’m encouraged that you at least accept the existence of ‘fallacy’. 

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The "if it saves one life..." argument is a fallacy.  You could save tens of thousands of lives by outlawing tobacco.  You could save thousands of lives by reducing the maximum speed limit on all roads to 30 miles per hour.  Or mandating that all occupants of all vehicles (cars, busses, vans) wear helmets as well as seat belts. 

But we don't. Because all of life involves trade offs between competing factors.  This "one live" argument is simply a form of emotional blackmail.

I think you aught to move to Florida there every meth head tweaker can conceal carry no checks nada zip lmao ???? sorry dude but background checks red flag laws outlawing all semi and full auto long guns will save lives all stop it will no bs it WILL save lives it isent a perfect solution but it will help and is by far better than nothing 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

No straw man, just being practical.  If you want to actually save lives, then work on crime in general and gun crime in particular. Not on what happens to be trending in the media. 

How about these proposals...

a/ 10 year mandatory sentence for illegal firearm possession.

b/ 10 extra years if it is used in a crime

c/ death sentence for murderers and drug dealers

d/ mandatory treatment for addicts and mentally incompetent people

Today's latest for you...................????

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-5-people-killed-shooting-105415592.html

3 hours ago, transam said:

Today's latest for you...................????

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-5-people-killed-shooting-105415592.html

..and what particular part of the Colorado legislation would have stopped this crime, if applied to Texas?  For me about the only thing would be enforcing immigration laws, since all concerned are reputed to be illegal immigrants to the US

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

..and what particular part of the Colorado legislation would have stopped this crime, if applied to Texas?  For me about the only thing would be enforcing immigration laws, since all concerned are reputed to be illegal immigrants to the US

Yet another excuse from a gun totter.....:unsure:

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Yet another excuse from a gun totter.....:unsure:

Not an excuse, and I am not a gun totter. Never owned one in my life, and never plan to.  

But a valid question.  How would the law have prevented any of the crimes in question?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Not an excuse, and I am not a gun totter. Never owned one in my life, and never plan to.  

But a valid question.  How would the law have prevented any of the crimes in question?

Gun law..............:clap2:

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

...uh, I thought it was obvious that I meant the law being discussed here, the Colorado bills that were just signed...

Gun Laws....Face the facts of a country where the police are dressed for combat...????

13 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Same way as in California:

California’s red flag law, which allows people to obtain gun violence restraining orders (GVROs), went into effect seven years ago.

Since then, GVROs have been credited with deterring at least 58 potential mass shootings and other types of gun violence in California, including suicides. Currently, 19 states and the District of Columbia have red flag laws, also known as extreme risk protection order laws.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/what-are-red-flag-laws-and-how-can-they-prevent-gun-violence/2023/01

I'm skeptical that these bills will do anything.  Firstly, any restriction on guns in one state won't change the laws of another state.  So anyone in Colorado can still drive across state lines to any red state and buy whatever they want.  Secondly, these bills are so watered-down as to be near meaningless.  A ban on assault rifles aren't even included.  Point is, these laws won't impact gun deaths....which the pro-gun folks will undoubtedly jump on and say "more gun laws don't help!"