Do i need return ticket to visit Thailand?

Am i required to purchase return ticket when passing immigration checkpoint at airport? I will enter with free tourist visa 30 days, but i intend to leave 34 days later. Will i have a problem with IO when i show my return ticket dated 34 days of stay?

I understand that overstay is no good. But in my situation, would i rather visit CW to apply visa extension and pay 1900 or simply overstay and pay 2000 upon departure?

I guess airline check-in are the pickiest. But a ticket at 34 days is no problem from what I have heard. I would make a formal extension when I am there just to follow the rules (and avoid some possible "black listing"). But other guys here follow this more closely.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Never asked by immigration to show onward ticket. Me flown to Thailand “dozens” of times on one way tickets. A few queries from airline agents , no real hassle. 

I have held long term visas for a number of years though. For example came in on Scoot one way last time.  I could not check in at the kiosk I assumed they wanted to see it, turns out my birthday was off by one day on the listing 

They never asked to see my visa though. 

• Confused 2

I have been stopped at the airport leaving Australia as i did not have a return ticket by V%^#*n Airlines.

When i argued the point and showed a Thai Drivers licence, yellow house book and pink Thai id card they eventually let me on.

However the two chaps i was travelling with had to buy a return ticket before they were allowed on the flight, we simply bought a one way, return leg with another airline, that satisfied the overly officous ground crew in Perth.

i used to fly Thai airways and was never questioned about a return flight, however they no longer service Perth.

i think it depends upon the airline and i have only had issues at departure airport, i have flown in heaps of times, 3rd passport, and i have never been questioned at immigration at the Thai end.

15 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

However the two chaps i was travelling with had to buy a return ticket before they were allowed on the flight, we simply bought a one way, return leg with another airline, that satisfied the overly officous ground crew in Perth.

The requirement is normal procedure and the airline was not being over the top. 

It's policy.

BTW it did need to be a return ticket.

Any onward flight would be fine.

Also "rent a ticket" online from various companies such as onwardflight.com 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

that satisfied the overly officous ground crew in Perth.

They're simply doing their jobs. It's a Thai government requirement for an onward flight ticket for visa exempt entry, not the airline's.

Airlines will get fined at least a couple of thou USD if they deliver passengers that don't meet the official requirements. There's also the attendant administration costs, bad publicity etc so it's in their interests to pre-screen the passengers on behalf of Thai Immigration.

Thai Immigration, in principle, should be double-checking every passenger to see if they have onward tickets and the minimum amount of cash. However that's not practical as it would take way too long to clear the queues hence the current lassez-faire approach.

It works well and the only reason it's an issue is because some people are unprepared for any questions when they are checking in. I only found out about this sort of stuff when I turned up at BNE many moons ago on my first trip abroad with a one-way ticket to Bali and the check-in staff forced me to buy an expensive refundable one-way ticket from Medan to Penang that took forever to get my money back from.

Much easier now with internet access and onwardticket(.)com et al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Airlines will get fined at least a couple of thou USD if they deliver passengers that don't meet the official requirements. There's also the attendant administration costs, bad publicity etc so it's in their interests to pre-screen the passengers on behalf of Thai Immigration.

I thought they only where responsible to return them back where they came from, not being fined. Where you have your information about the fines? 

Ground handling at check in airport may be your sole problem

If they play by the book you'll either have to buy an outbound ticket (anywhere) at the 30 day point or be offloaded

My experience at Gatwick in 2005 on Emirates is a strong reminder. It took me literally persuading the Head of Station of Emirates to let me on the flight and I had to sign an indemnity should I have been turned around at Bangkok and declined entry clearance

I was dressed very nicely that day and 18 years later believe that was the sole reason they let me board

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Fines have increased from $2,000 where they were for at least 30 years to now (up to) $10,000 from last year

wow, first time I hear now, 

I know Vietjet Air is strict with proof, and it made long que last check in we had now from Vietnam back to Thailand, while Emirates just asked me if I had a return ticket last time, I said yes, and they said ok and no need to see, even it was with another operator. 

I normally have a full price flex ticket I cancel same day I land if not excact return date.

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I thought they only where responsible to return them back where they came from, not being fined. Where you have your information about the fines? 

Google search. Here's one random result...

https://airlines.iata.org/analysis/document-verification-travel-trouble#:~:text=Fines average out at %243%2C500,to a fare-paying passenger.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Chivas said:

No

You go and find the information yourself. Its not difficult fella

Try posting accurate information.

Not difficult fella. 

From Division 1 gov website...

"The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is not the visa extension.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying residence to immigration officer or notifying later than the set period, must notify in person and a fine of 2,000.- THB will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he/her will be fined 5,000.- THB with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- THB for each day which passes until the law is complied with."

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Ground handling at check in airport may be your sole problem

If they play by the book you'll either have to buy an outbound ticket (anywhere) at the 30 day point or be offloaded

My experience at Gatwick in 2005 on Emirates is a strong reminder. It took me literally persuading the Head of Station of Emirates to let me on the flight and I had to sign an indemnity should I have been turned around at Bangkok and declined entry clearance

I was dressed very nicely that day and 18 years later believe that was the sole reason they let me board

Does it have to be exactly 30 days prior to arrival? I dont mind to purchase return ticket from the same airlines i will travel with, however i intend to stay 33 to 34 days in Thailand due to family matter on my 4th week of stay. 3-4 days extra stretch just in case family matter isnt yet resolved sooner than expected. 

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

Airlines have deep pockets and are at the whim of country of destination authorities.

Read the contract of carriage carefully though  it has always been the case the passenger is responsible to prepare all relevant documents/visas and is responsible for any costs if denied entry

The airline can use legal means to come after you later however, when Thailand or another country says "send him back" that means now even if the airline has to bump a paying passenger.

Unfortunately if a deadbeat just crosses his arms and refuses to pay for repatriation flight they don't physically force you to pull your wallet out.

Maybe they should call some toughs in or throw the clod in jail instead?

5 hours ago, arfandy said:

Does it have to be exactly 30 days prior to arrival? I dont mind to purchase return ticket from the same airlines i will travel with, however i intend to stay 33 to 34 days in Thailand due to family matter on my 4th week of stay. 3-4 days extra stretch just in case family matter isnt yet resolved sooner than expected. 

I think you misunderstand...I could have worded the earlier post better.....If (and its still an if) they check the passport for a tourist visa (which they 100% should) when ground handling at check input your flight details and see the 34 days duration they can and many airlines do (because of the increased fine levels) ask to see any outbound ticket at any time within the first 30 days after you arrive

I've never had reason to do so subsequently but there are onward ticket websites designed to get around the issue for fairly nominal cost....its always been my view that check in staff know only too well what they are when presented with one lol but their liability is covered at that point

Edited by Chivas

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

I think you misunderstand...I could have worded the earlier post better.....If (and its still an if) they check the passport for a tourist visa (which they 100% should) when ground handling at check input your flight details and see the 34 days duration they can and many airlines do (because of the increased fine levels) ask to see any outbound ticket at any time within the first 30 days after you arrive

I've never had reason to do so subsequently but there are onward ticket websites designed to get around the issue for fairly nominal cost....its always been my view that check in staff know only too well what they are when presented with one lol but their liability is covered at that point

I am an Asian and visiting Thailand i get visa exempt for 30 days. Ofc i could apply for 14 days extension at CW but will airlines refuse to accept my reason for extension within 30 days? I know such website provide temporary booking flight for 48 hours at the cost of $10. But i will have my retur ticket ready and scheduled at the 33th or 34th day and it is within the grace period where i am legally allowed for a single extension while being in Thailand. Will airlines still insist i must leave or provide the proof of leaving the country before 30 days are up?

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

I am an Asian and visiting Thailand i get visa exempt for 30 days. Ofc i could apply for 14 days extension at CW but will airlines refuse to accept my reason for extension within 30 days? I know such website provide temporary booking flight for 48 hours at the cost of $10. But i will have my retur ticket ready and scheduled at the 33th or 34th day and it is within the grace period where i am legally allowed for a single extension while being in Thailand. Will airlines still insist i must leave or provide the proof of leaving the country before 30 days are up?

All the people that insist you get a return/onward ticket within 30 days say it's because airlines will be responsible to fly you back out if you're rejected entry and want protection for that cost. 

Well if you already have a ticket at 34 days what is the cost of re-scheduling your paid ticket? Maybe $50

Rediculous to think an airline would care about reclaiming that insignificant cost. If you're hassled ask to see the Duty Manager and explain your case. Worst case is they'd ask you to sign an indemnity form agreeing to any cost (very unlikely in your case)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1

Since someone laughed at my post above, I arrived 8 March on visa exempt with a return ticket nearly 5 months later and nobody cared.

Last year I flew to Thailand 3 times on one-way tickets entering visa exempt, no-one cared.

I'm wondering if all the people saying you can't do it are actually experienced visa exempt flyers or just quoting some long held belief (or have shares in onward flight company lol)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Since someone laughed at my post above, I arrived 8 March on visa exempt with a return ticket nearly 5 months later and nobody cared.

Last year I flew to Thailand 3 times on one-way tickets entering visa exempt, no-one cared.

I'm wondering if all the people saying you can't do it are actually experienced visa exempt flyers or just quoting some long held belief (or have shares in onward flight company lol)

This has been discussed here ad nauseum. Your experience is not universal. Some people get asked, some don't.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

This has been discussed here ad nauseum. Your experience is not universal. Some people get asked, some don't.

I just find it funny that people on long stay visa's where a return flight is not relevant seem to have the loudest say demanding its required....

Meanwhile, visa exempt people who it actually applies to have their advice diminished by "you were lucky" or "some are asked, some not", so you must get a ticket

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I'm wondering if all the people saying you can't do it are actually experienced visa exempt flyers or just quoting some long held belief (or have shares in onward flight company lol

Your personal experience is irrelevant. 

The fact is often particular airlines do NOT required onward flight.

Also many folk have reported that it has consistently been required.

It can be the carrier used or point of departure.

From my (first hand) experience it seems low cost airlines more likely to request onward flight.

If point of departure nearby countries such as Vietnam then pretty much 100% onward flight will be required if flying visa e exempt. 

I flew every month to Saigon return for several years and have discussed it with airline staff.

This topic comes up every few weeks and it's boring.