Gunfight erupts during wedding, 13-year-old boy injured in crossfire

webfact

image.jpeg

On April 30, a confrontation between two groups of teenagers escalated into a gunfight at a wedding in Buriram Province. The incident left three villagers injured by stray bullets, including a 13-year-old boy in critical condition. Authorities are pursuing charges related to bodily harm and firearms law violations.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Withisarn Aphornphong, Superintendent of Prakhon Chai Police Station, led the arrest of a 21-year-old suspect known as "Bee" (an assumed name) along with a .38 caliber revolver, and an 18-year-old suspect known as "A" (an assumed name) with a homemade shotgun, reported Daily News.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

The altercation unfolded the previous night in front of a wedding venue in Moo 1, Kok Tum Subdistrict, Prakhon Chai District, Buriram Province.

The two groups of teenagers engaged in a heated dispute, which eventually led to the use of firearms. In the crossfire, three villagers, including a 13-year-old boy, sustained injuries from stray bullets. The injured were initially treated at Prakhon Chai Hospital and later transferred to Buriram Regional Hospital due to the critical condition of the young boy.

image.jpeg

During interrogation, the visiting teenagers informed the police that they had come to attend the wedding and, upon seeing a procession of cars, invited 7-8 friends to watch the parade. While they were dancing, a group of local teenagers began harassing them, ultimately leading to the confrontation and subsequent gunfight.

Conversely, the local teenagers involved in the case claimed they merely wanted to join the parade but were confronted by the visiting group, who seemed displeased with their presence despite being locals. The encounter resulted in a heated exchange before the gunfight erupted. They have since apologized to the injured parties.

image.jpeg

As an initial step, the police have charged the suspects with "bodily harm and violation of firearms laws" and will proceed with further legal action.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

led the arrest of a 21-year-old suspect known as "Bee" (an assumed name) along with a .38 caliber revolver, and an 18-year-old suspect known as "A" (an assumed name) with a homemade shotgun,

Guess 'C' got away with the machine gun

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

On April 30, a confrontation between two groups of teenagers escalated into a gunfight at a wedding in Buriram Province. The incident left three villagers injured by stray bullets, including a 13-year-old boy in critical condition. Authorities are pursuing charges related to bodily harm and firearms law violations.

Ohhh happy days...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Did the bride say I do before the lead started flying the perps should have use mud instead of bullets to sling ????

Should have said I'm off... "run-away bride"

• Haha 1

it's attempted murder ! pull gun point & pull the trigger & 13 year old kid shot , what cos you weren't invited to the wedding or were not welcomed to free alcohol you shot a kid  ???? 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

it's attempted murder ! pull gun point & pull the trigger & 13 year old kid shot , what cos you weren't invited to the wedding or were not welcomed to free alcohol you shot a kid  ???? 

The report says stray bullets. Thec13 year old was not an intended target.

Having said that, in the recent case in Liverpool where a 9 year old girl died from a stray bullet, the shooter is now doing over 20 years inside.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I actually had to open this up and look for where it happened just to avoid my confirmation bias with the assumption that “Oh, no, not another USA shooting”.... 

The fact it's posted in Isaan News might have given the location away a bit.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know about you, but I've been to plenty of weddings in my native UK and not one person got shot.

I’m sure some Thai Apologist or USA Pro-Gun supporter will be able to dig out something from the archives that there was a shooting at a Gypsy wedding in Ireland in 2015 and tell us that such gun crime does exist elsewhere....  :whistling:????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

Surely deliberately shooting at someone with a gun should incur a stronger charge than bodily harm.

The critically ill innocent 13 year old might agree.

He was hit with a stray bullet round.  So not the intended target, hence the issue of 'intent' versus recklessness comes into play.  One would have to study and understand the nuances of the Thai legal system and what charges are possible.  I am hoping the bodily harm charge can potentially incur a significant maximum jail term.  Often, additional charges are added when further evidence is gathered/clarified.  

• Thumbs Up 1