Windows 10 22H2 update has been downloaded onto my external HDD, do I need to also download an ISO media creation tool to complete the 22H2 installation?

steven100

Hi Gents,  

So my PC Win10  has downloaded 22H2 Update onto the external HDD. 

Do I need to download an ISO media creation tool to complete the 22H2 installation?   or will it install automatically as part of the update ?

The reason I ask is because the installation failed .....   so I am curious as to why it failed, is it to do with no ISO file ?  ( is that not part of the update already built in )

or could it be there wasn't sufficient space on the C:\  ?     It only had 5.5GB free yesterday.  But surely I don't need the whole 32GB free for the installation?  I remember reading somewhere that an existing install needed 20GB ....   so this could be the reason it failed ..... 

image.png.57b60ceccdac3aa774e2888bc0781dc7.png

• Confused 1

You need to take your computer to a technician (I am making the assumption you are not technically adept - most people are not), have them clone your system (if you can't), install a new higher capacity drive (preferably a 1+TB SSD), and re-image your system, after which "Bob's Your Uncle" and your system will run......well, within the limitations of your other hardware.

If you a comfortable doing an image of your drive, Macrium Free does a great job (as long as you have sufficient room on your external drive).  Do a complete disk image, have at 1+ TB SSD drive installed, and then restore your entire disk image.

Just guessing, but if your "C" drive is "full", my guess (just a guess) is that you have an older system.  If your computer is over 5 to 7 years old just bite the bullet and buy a new computer (you'll be happy you did).  If it's not "older" than something is filling up the HD capacity and it is beyond the scope of this forum to figure out what that may be. 

That update is never going to be installed on your system due to space restrictions given the info you provided regarding the remaining space on your "C" drive.

Imho, for people who don't really understand how to administer their own home system?  ????Just buy a new system with plenty of CPU, RAM, and SSD capacity that is preloaded with Windows (Win11 is probably the best for you as it will not require you to think too hard about it during it's "life-cycle").

Your situation simply screams: "Buy a new computer", and then use the old computer to learn how to run some variation of Linux, which unlike Windows is a streamlined operating system that uses less than 20GB in many cases for the core OS files. Or even load a new copy of Win10 that you can use to experiment on.  It's always good to have a second "sandbox" computer to play with and learn on.  Things like backing up your system, optimizing your system, breaking your system and fixing it, and loading up different operating systems.

Best of luck........... :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

You say external HDD and then refer to C:\ ?

Windows must be install in your boot partition in order to work but if you want to boot from external disk you have to do so via media creation

yes  ,  I chose the external HDD for the download because of the size,   but my C:\ doesn't have enough space for the install .....   imo 

31 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

You say external HDD and then refer to C:\ ?

Windows must be install in your boot partition in order to work but if you want to boot from external disk you have to do so via media creation

Windows is installed on your C drive, and the BIOS tells the boot partition  where to look for that system. If you wanted to boot from any other drive or location, you must tell in your BIOS where that place is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes  ,  I chose the external HDD for the download because of the size,   but my C:\ doesn't have enough space for the install .....   imo 

Windows 10 or 11 installation will fit onto an 8GB USB stick. OK you need much more space on C Drive, but if it is an upgrade as opposed to another installation, it should not take much more space.

• Like 1

Your c-drive has only 32GB? Is your computer a netbook (Asus and others sold those things a couple of years ago with 32GB flash drive).

If so, it's not upgradable and you should buy a new one, if you don't want to do a clean install and have the same problem again with the next bigger update.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Consider what is currently hogging your C drive can it be deleted? Moved to external drive?.

Run explorer,right click c drive select properties,disk clean up,new popup select cleanup system files, close this popup and select disk cleanup,this will clear some space for you

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, norbra said:

Consider what is currently hogging your C drive can it be deleted? Moved to external drive?.

Run explorer,right click c drive select properties,disk clean up,new popup select cleanup system files, close this popup and select disk cleanup,this will clear some space for you

During this process you will be shown how much space can be recovered .

Recovery will take sooome time depending on size selected

Edited by norbra

48 minutes ago, norbra said:

Especially, clean up System Restore files which can take a lot of space, and look on C drive for Windows.old if you have re-installed it. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Especially, clean up System Restore files which can take a lot of space, and look on C drive for Windows.old if you have re-installed it. 

so I have cleaned up all I can such as deleted restore points, storage deletes etc .....  

on the C drive .... now shows 7.39GB free..... 

So yesterdays 22H2  22GB UPDATE   download will be sitting on my external HDD I suspect.

Will it try to install that into the boot partition automatically ?   every few days I expect ..

It should install ok when I have sufficient free space on the C drive ??

I don't need to do anything specifically,  and I don't    need to create an ISO file.   ?? 

correct  ?  

2 hours ago, connda said:

That update is never going to be installed on your system due to space restrictions given the info you provided regarding the remaining space on your "C" drive.

This could be the case unless I can get as much as possible over to the 500GB HDD  thereby to free up at least 22GB on the C:\  .......    my C:\ DRIVE is only 64GB flash memory so as you said it's space restricted severely.

I'm not sure I can gain enough space for the 22h2 install even if I move everything over to the HDD except Windows 10.      I think what I've said is correct ?

You could do a full clean install onto your pathetically small C drive, in which case it will delete everything on that drive first. So transfer ALL your data onto say your external drive, copy the W10/11 iso onto a USB stick, and start over clean.

You would have to move the locations of your Windows library folders (Docs, Music, Videos, Downloads etc) to the external drive.

Does your PC/laptop whatever it is, not have a slot for a 2.5 inch SSD?

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This could be the case unless I can get as much as possible over to the 500GB HDD  thereby to free up at least 22GB on the C:\  .......    my C:\ DRIVE is only 64GB flash memory so as you said it's space restricted severely.

I'm not sure I can gain enough space for the 22h2 install even if I move everything over to the HDD except Windows 10.      I think what I've said is correct ?

You can run the upgrade manually from the media downloaded on to the HDD, choosing to keep existing data. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,  this is the most practical way i think.

Is your present installed W10 on your C drive? If so you will have to do a full clean install onto the external drive, although I am doubtful whether Windows will run on other than a C drive.

So, disable the internal flash drive and partition the HDD into two, say 100GB (C)  & 400GB (D) and install onto the 'new' C drive.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is your present installed W10 on your C drive? If so you will have to do a full clean install onto the external drive, although I am doubtful whether Windows will run on other than a C drive.

So, disable the internal flash drive and partition the HDD into two, say 100GB (C)  & 400GB (D) and install onto the 'new' C drive.

He can install over the top of his existing install. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, NextG said:

He can install over the top of his existing install. 

Of course, but leaving very little space for any programs, unless you do a regedit and change the location where to install them, on say a partition on your HDD.

My W11 and minimal programs use 60GB, of a 100GB partition.

Edited by KannikaP

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Of course, but leaving very little space for any programs, unless you do a regedit and change the location where to install them, on say a partition on your HDD.

My W11 and minimal programs use 60GB, of a 100GB partition.

It’s Windows 10 and 60 GB is way too high for an OS install with “minimal programs”. Perhaps you have an old install taking up space. I would expect half that to be the case with your description. 

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

It’s Windows 10 and 60 GB is way too high for an OS install with “minimal programs”. Perhaps you have an old install taking up space. I would expect half that to be the case with your description. 

Yep, you are correct. Just checked and my actual Windows folder is only 17GB. The rest is taken with programs, some of which I will uninstall, not that I am hurting for disk space. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yep, you are correct. Just checked and my actual Windows folder is only 17GB. The rest is taken with programs, some of which I will uninstall, not that I am hurting for disk space. Thanks.

Seems a lot for programs… Perhaps run a Disk Clean up to include System Files:

26 minutes ago, NextG said:

Seems a lot for programs… Perhaps run a Disk Clean up to include System Files:

I do it regularly, as I advised the OP to do, System Restore points etc. Will look into it. Cheers.

What a plonker I am. I was reading the Free Space figure of 64GB, instead of the Used space of 38GB.

Although I do not have many programs as such installed, many of my banks, radio stations etc are installed as apps but do not show in the Programs menu. All works fine here.

Edited by KannikaP

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

let me know if it installs.

It did. When I closed the pc down last night it asked if I wanted to download and restart, or download and shutdown.

I chose download and shutdown, which it did and it came up normally this morning when I booted the pc up. 

So far I have not noticed any difference.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

It did. When I closed the pc down last night it asked if I wanted to download and restart, or download and shutdown.

I chose download and shutdown, which it did and it came up normally this morning when I booted the pc up. 

So far I have not noticed any difference.

Looks like I need 20 GB free  ....

image.png.1ea26d4415c50caa4ea62aae1f99d22c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Looks like I need 20 GB free  ....

image.png.1ea26d4415c50caa4ea62aae1f99d22c.png

My C drive and the D drive are a total of about 1 tB on the computer and any other drives are external.

My C drive is 565 gB with 477 gB free and the D drive is 365 gB with 299 gB free, so I have plenty of space available.

Yes, I think that the internal C and D drives on your pc are a bit on the small side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

My C drive and the D drive are a total of about 1 tB on the computer and any other drives are external.

My C drive is 565 gB with 477 gB free and the D drive is 365 gB with 299 gB free, so I have plenty of space available.

Yes, I think that the internal C and D drives on your pc are a bit on the small side.

yes ... correct,  very small .... it was ok for what I needed up until this damn update came along,  anyway I'll copy everything except windows over to my HDD 500gb ... then i may take it to the shop to upgrade/increase the flash memory from 64GB to max .... and see what else he can upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1