Has anyone else been affective by not receiving their SSI for May?

davidstipek

Here it is May 6th and no check or Bank deposit yet this month. I was guaranteed on the 3rd of every month my SSI would be wire transferred to (in my case) Bank of Bangkok LTD. offices in New York, N.Y.  The latest it had ever been was 6pm, on the 4th.

For those who don't understand those Americans, who are retired and have applied for their Guaranteed Retirement check. from personal files that they paid into the total time working (Life) or until they received 40 credits. Were guaranteed (promised) that on their Birthday each month they would receive a check or a Directed Deposit. Most of us have other funds available, but worry when allotment time comes and.... NOTHING...

Was it missed? Banks misplaced it? Somone diverted it? We have to ask as they won't volunteer any info. Plus here in Thailand the Office we have to deal with is in Manila. Then they won't answer for 10 Business (working days). I bet "No One in the Federal Government" would wait 10 Days to get paid! Without calling Foul! Everyone else deals with their U.S. Embassy in their respective Country of residence.

I know there are some seniors who need this Pittance on time, monthly. and would go wthout eating, or if it happened too often, a bed to sleep in. As Landlords don't wait to find the next Tenant! 

13 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Everyone that i know that is getting direct deposit got their's on the 3rd, good luck, yesterday and today were both bank holidays

+1 DD on 3May 10:30 hrs ... almost like clockwork.   Though DD, not via NY BBL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidstipek said:

I was guaranteed on the 3rd of every month my SSI would be wire transferred to (in my case) Bank of Bangkok LTD. offices in New York, N.Y

Who guaranteed that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

my wife has direct deposit and hers always arrives before mine, I have BKK Bank she uses Krungthai

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

same here.... but a little earlier then you at 9,56 am BKB 555

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Who guaranteed that?

I have on Social Security Administration / Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance paperwork the following sumery of what we will pay and when:

We will pay Social Security benefits for any given month in the next month. As an example, Social Security benefits for March will be paid in April.

It stated in my case:

* I would receive $xxxxxxx around November 4th. 2022.

* This was money owed me thru Sept 2022.

*I would receive $xxxxxxx for October 2022 around November 3, 2022.

* After that I would receive $xxxxxxx on or about the third of each month.

I have gotten this clarification every year since 2005 (17 years - I keep everything. I worked here in 96/97 As a Government Employee transfered from USAF, so I remembered how Government Offices worked!)  So I would pretty much say to answer your question, The Social Security Administration.

I was posting here in regards to a couple of other Retiree's. I was looking to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue as they were. I was but as I had done over the years already. Again as I stated before Manila is our FBU Office, I had already sent emails for these Individuals, since they had no computers. (Just being friendly and helping out some of my Neighbors here in Chiangmai, since the U.S. Consultant's Office as well as the Embassy in Bangkok, refuse to get involved in any FBU matters).

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

my wife has direct deposit and hers always arrives before mine, I have BKK Bank she uses Krungthai

Mine has been done as a Direct Deposit by Social Security Administration thru BBL since 2005. Every once in a while, there is an issue. One year it got bypast as employees changed shifts thinking it was already complete instead of checking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidstipek said:

So I would pretty much say to answer your question, The Social Security Administration.

The problem with what you consider to be a guarantee is that there is no compensation mentioned if they fail to perform. So they can fail to perform and no penalty to them and  no compensation to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidstipek said:

Mine has been done as a Direct Deposit by Social Security Administration thru BBL since 2005. Every once in a while, there is an issue. One year it got bypast as employees changed shifts thinking it was already complete instead of checking.

I guess I have been lucky, seven years and never a problem

2 hours ago, davidstipek said:

I have on Social Security Administration / Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance paperwork the following sumery of what we will pay and when:

We will pay Social Security benefits for any given month in the next month. As an example, Social Security benefits for March will be paid in April.

It stated in my case:

* I would receive $xxxxxxx around November 4th. 2022.

* This was money owed me thru Sept 2022.

*I would receive $xxxxxxx for October 2022 around November 3, 2022.

* After that I would receive $xxxxxxx on or about the third of each month.

I have gotten this clarification every year since 2005 (17 years - I keep everything. I worked here in 96/97 As a Government Employee transfered from USAF, so I remembered how Government Offices worked!)  So I would pretty much say to answer your question, The Social Security Administration.

I was posting here in regards to a couple of other Retiree's. I was looking to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue as they were. I was but as I had done over the years already. Again as I stated before Manila is our FBU Office, I had already sent emails for these Individuals, since they had no computers. (Just being friendly and helping out some of my Neighbors here in Chiangmai, since the U.S. Consultant's Office as well as the Embassy in Bangkok, refuse to get involved in any FBU matters).

The first part of this message here down to the amount I would receive each month is verbatim! only thing missing is the X'd out dollar values as it's no one elses concern. Both of the Ladies I was trying to help had same letters, that they produced.

So Dollar values stating I would receive and date of deposits pretty much firms up a commitment since it's written and signed by Social Security Office on their Letterhead. Manila says if not received they have a commitment to explain why.

Hey I am not argueing with you I am just searching to see if there are others out there with same issue...   

FBU Manila seems to have problems. I'm American, single, 62, no dependents, no complications...living in Vietnam, recent retiree.Last August, I began receiving benefits into my Vietnam bank acct. But then suddenly, payments sputtered out. It went like this:

Aug--received

Sep--received

Oct--no

Nov--received

December--no

Jan,2023--no

Feb--no

March--no

April--no

May--no

I'd used their online inquiry MANY times, and received varied responses, such as, "your bank info not correct" (impossible, since it worked before/nothing changed.)

Then it was "We've re-instated benefits, please wait 7-10 days" but NOTHING.

Then it was "It appears bank info incorrect" again. WTF?

They don't answer phone calls,and my lovely friends, who've been helping me survive, are about to wring my neck. I'm wondering why FBU Manila can't seem to simply try to deposit/if unsuccessful-contact me so I can change bank or?

Anyway, that's my story. It's frustrating,because I want to exit Vietnam and live in Thailand, but......

Not sure I'd EVER have DD into Bangkok Bank NYC let alone any foreign SE Asian bank. Why? If there are problems then you have to deal with foreign officials in a language most expats are not fluent in

I'd use a USA bank (not susceptible to Thai bank holidays) and then make transfers when needed. No interest rate to speak of when money is kept in Thai banks from my experience. Better to take advantage of the 4% plus interest rates now on offer by US banks. But, if you are living paycheck to paycheck then... well. doesn't matter.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Confused 1

I have my SS benefits send by direct deposit to Bangkok Bank. I am also representative payee for my daughter and her SS benefits are routed via Bangkok Bank's New York branch. Sometimes my benefits arrive a day before my daughter's. I think internal processing within Bangkok Bank may delay payment some months when coming via Bangkok Bank's New York branch.