Converting To Xenon Bulbs

I keep seeing for sale conversion kits to convert

Your car / pick up bulbs into some thing called

XENON bulbs, ive done a search but only come up

With technical info, is there any real benefit in

Doing this type of conversion, If so what …?

Thanks

post-37178-1183722900_thumb.jpg

Benefits would be better illumination of the road at night. BUT... (reading from forums and actually seeing on the roads) those aftermarket kits will cause glare to on coming traffic since stock housings weren't made for them.

Newer BMW's, Benz's, Camry's, with factory installed HID/Xenon will not cause glare. But more and more older cars are being fitted with these kits and you can see it more often now-a-days, causing glare to on coming traffic.

There are "proper" ways of fitting HID/Xenon to your car, such as adjusting the beam pattern, or even changing the entire housing that were made for HID/Xenon.

Do your research carefully for these kit's... i've read a lot of "cheap" kits coming out of china that breaks easily.

This is the same position as replacing tungsten with halogen years ago. The bulbs produce light in the wrong place for the existing reflectors, so either the kit has to include a machined collar for the new bulb so that it is to be placed in the correct 3d location for the reflector {which is likely to be unique by model} or dazzle and glare will be a problem for oncoming drivers, along with incorrect illumination patterns for the driver.

Regards

I’ve found these blind oncoming drivers, myself included, and wouldn’t be surprised if there hasn’t more than one head on collision caused by them.

Having said that, I’ve driven a GMC Suburban many times that had aftermarket Xenon bulbs fitted. The light wasn’t as intense or directed as with normal lights. The Xenon gave out a duller than normal bluish light that covered a wider area.

Due to the spread of the light they were good for showing up animals at side of the road on pitch black nights but didn’t provide as much forward light penetration as I expect from lights on full beam.

I intended changing my own car to Xenon lights but after experiencing driving with them I forget the idea.