VFS Chiang Mai UK Passport Renewal

falang1969

16 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It is cancelled in the UK system when the application is received there but as they don't tell anybody outside of the UK it remains perfectly usable for travel although if anybody actually checked for whatever reason it may cause some issues.

It amazes me that people are willing to take that risk.

Potential legal implications of travelling on a canceled passport aside, say you do successfully leave Thailand... What if you are then denied entry upon your return?

The only option left, I would think, is to return to your home country and somehow retrieve the new passport that has been sent to Thailand.

It seems like an awfully big risk to take.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:05 PM, Upnotover said:

It is cancelled in the UK system when the application is received there but as they don't tell anybody outside of the UK it remains perfectly usable for travel although if anybody actually checked for whatever reason it may cause some issues.

I was told today by VFS in Chiang Mai, is that you can use for domestic flights but not international flights.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, falang1969 said:

Just a bit of feedback.

Submitted UK Passport application at Chiang Mai VFS today.

A couple of things......

For a UK adult renewal passport, a countersignatory IS NOT REQUIRED. So no need to get one of the 2 photo's countersigned or fill out that section on the application form. Which saves a lot of hassle!

However, if you do fill out the countersignatory section, (which you don't need to as above), you require a copy of the countersignatory's passport as well and one of the photo's countersigned.

You also need proof of address in Thailand, I used my Thai driving licence. They need it in colour and a copy of the front and back. My address is in Thai and English on the back of my Thai driving licence.

So regarding the application form, it's really only the first page that gets completed, passport number on page 2 and a signature at the end!

You keep your passport, which can be used for domestic flights BUT obviously not for international flights.

All above confirmed as of today at VFS Chiang Mai.

Thank you for the updated information.

46 minutes ago, falang1969 said:

I was told today by VFS in Chiang Mai, is that you can use for domestic flights but not international flights.

That would be the correct answer as you keep the old passport for ID purposes.  The point about international travel is that nobody will know, unless they make a specific effort to check, perhaps after you get arrested or something like that.

8 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

That would be the correct answer as you keep the old passport for ID purposes.  The point about international travel is that nobody will know, unless they make a specific effort to check, perhaps after you get arrested or something like that.

Correct. I have a friend who traveled internationally (within Asia if it makes a difference) after he had submitted his passport renewal at VFS Bangkok. I think he did two trips on it before his new passport was ready - absolutely not an issue. Personally I wouldn't take the risk myself and I am not recommending it, but I know it can / has been done 

I'll tack this on here....

Passport submitted to VFS 23/03 and notified ready for collection yesterday so just shy of 8 weeks. Happy days considering up to 13 quoted.

Picked up this afternoon (Monday-Friday 1400-1500) and headed straight to immigration at Festival to transfer stamps as previously reported here was possible but told cannot so headed to the airport branch where I copied as required (info page both passports + every page with Thai stamp + 90 day + TM30 + complete form) then straight to desk 3 where everything was checked then politely informed 'full today Sir come back 18/19'.  Immigration is shut tomorrow 17).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mahseer said:

I'll tack this on here....

Passport submitted to VFS 23/03 and notified ready for collection yesterday so just shy of 8 weeks. Happy days considering up to 13 quoted.

Picked up this afternoon (Monday-Friday 1400-1500) and headed straight to immigration at Festival to transfer stamps as previously reported here was possible but told cannot so headed to the airport branch where I copied as required (info page both passports + every page with Thai stamp + 90 day + TM30 + complete form) then straight to desk 3 where everything was checked then politely informed 'full today Sir come back 18/19'.  Immigration is shut tomorrow 17).

That's promising, thanks for sharing. I submitted my son't renewal (in Bangkok) on 27th March and so far nothing. I am waiting to get that back before I book flights to the UK for a summer trip so I take heart from your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my renewal UK passport from VFS Chiang Mai.  Despite the strike, the total time was about 1 month. The service from VFS was excellent.

However, I am informed by a friend that I should have been given an embossed letter from the UK asking Thai Immigration to record detail of the new passport. I did not receive the document, so I now need to contact VFS Global Chiang Mai.  

Despite exhaustive searches, I cannot find an email address, nor a tel. number fro VFS Chiang Mai.  Can anyone help please? 

DocTom.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:15 PM, JBChiangRai said:

They didn't cut the corner off, I'll keep you posted in 3 weeks, traveling in Asia.

Been to another Asian country whilst awaiting my new passport, no problems at all.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Letter no longer required. Head to immigration airport branch and fill out the appropriate form and provide copies of the following:

Info page old & new passport.

All pages with Thai stamps.

TM30 & 90 day.

Go straight to counter number 3.

@Mahseer  Thank you for great update.  I'm sure it will be of help to many on this site.

14 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Letter no longer required. Head to immigration airport branch and fill out the appropriate form and provide copies of the following:

Info page old & new passport.

All pages with Thai stamps.

TM30 & 90 day.

Go straight to counter number 3.

Mahseer.   Thanks for the reply.  However my local Thai Immigration office is in Mae Sod, not an airport branch.  But it still requires a long car drive.  So before I go, please can you comment further - will the same conditions apply as at the airport branch?  Do I have to go now, or is it permissible to wait until my August visit when I go for my one year visa extension?

Thanks again,  DocTom.

12 minutes ago, DocTom said:

So before I go, please can you comment further - will the same conditions apply as at the airport branch?  Do I have to go now, or is it permissible to wait until my August visit when I go for my one year visa extension?

Not a clue as to rules at other locations but the letter from VHS mentioned is no longer issued so every chance you'll be ok with documents listed.

Regarding when to go your previous passport is no longer valid so does the same apply to the visa?  Personally I wouldn't leave it just in case but maybe a phone could would confirm either way.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, DocTom said:

Mahseer.   Thanks for the reply.  However my local Thai Immigration office is in Mae Sod, not an airport branch.  But it still requires a long car drive.  So before I go, please can you comment further - will the same conditions apply as at the airport branch?  Do I have to go now, or is it permissible to wait until my August visit when I go for my one year visa extension?

Thanks again,  DocTom.

Hi

If you are uncertain regarding the mae sod office; and you have a copy of your online vfs appt application or an email confirming appt, and/ or also a copy of payment to VFS; that might help if your local immigration office get a little awkward.

Doesn't hurt to take them with you if you have them.  But as Maheer said, it really should not present a problem without any letter.

Mahseer, Raindancer,  many thanks to both of you for your speedy and helpful replies.  I shall act according to your advice, perhaps preceded by a telephone call to hear what the Mae Sod officials demand of me.

DocTom.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2023 at 12:50 PM, falang1969 said:

Has anyone applied for an adult UK passport renewal at CM VFS in the last few months?

If so, what was the turnaround time?

Deciding whether to renew here or in the UK, but don't really want to be stuck in the UK for months!

Being the OP, just a bit of feedback.

Applied at CM VFS on 11th May 2023

Picked up from CM VFS 5th July 2013

So almost 8 weeks exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1