Which neighbouring country is easiest for a tourist visa

Hi everyone, long term member and visitor on this site and things are changing all the time so need a little input from members.

Travelling on an Australian PP.  I will have a single entry TV on entry from au. After the first 2 months I plan to spend a week in a neighbouring country looking around while getting a new TV and come back to Thailand.

I've done them all in the past, Penang, Vientiane, Phnom Phen. But things change, where would it be the easiest/least hassle to get a new TV for my return. I know about extensions but prefer the TV route. Thank you.

Edited by bmanly
left out a word

2 hours ago, bmanly said:

After the first 2 months I plan to spend a week in a neighbouring country looking around while getting a new TV and come back to Thailand

Since you are talking about spending a week (mini holiday) it's a no brainer. 

Saigon..

Very easy airport to district 1 and consulate easy access.

Be aware that it requires an appointment so forward planning required. 

Return air from Bangkok approx 3500baht.

Vientiane in Laos also requires an appointment.

Flights to Udon Thani means relatively short trip to Nong Khai. 

• Love It 1

Phnom Pehn and have an agent ( Cini travel street 130 or Lucky Lucky monivong road) do ot for ya  $60
air asia often less than 3,500 return

New TV>??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Does Penang require an appointment? And, what are the requirements there for a single entry tourist visa? 

No appointment is necessary, but they only accept a limited number of applicants per day. Since the consulate is insanely busy, you will not be successful in submitting an application unless you queue up well before the consulate opens in the morning. Their stated requirements are available at https://penang.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/114490-visa-requirements-ii

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is a very important question, and the answer probably not what people want to hear. The days of staying long term in Thailand on tourist visas (from neighbouring countries) and visa exemptions seem to be coming to an end. Most embassies/consulates that were lenient in their requirements have been tightening up. The precise criteria they are using is usually unclear. Reports on recent experiences at embassies/consulates in the region would be very welcome.

To start with, here is my assessment of the locations that were considered easy a few years ago:

Vientiane: Still considered a good place to apply, but requires an appointment in order to go there. It is often not possible to find an appointment slot unless you book very well in advance. Historically (and in the absence of updated reports hopefully still) they will give you a tourist visa if you do not already have two issued by them visible in your current passport.

Savannakhet: Was until recently considered an excellent place to apply, with the only drawback being that it is insanely busy when visa run groups arrive (typically Mondays and Thursdays). There are reports that this consulate is now using strict criteria when deciding whether to grant you a tourist visa. One reported guideline is that they will not provide a tourist visa if you have spent over 90 days within the last six months in Thailand as a tourist. They may also deny you if you have over the last few years spent long periods in Thailand without a long term extension to stay. Pending new reports, this consulate should no longer be considered a soft touch.

Hanoi: At one time, this was one of the best places to apply. Almost all recent reports state this embassy is now both unfriendly and strict, especially on providing tourist visas. Best avoided.

Ho Chi Minh City: Since Saigon is a great city to visit, this has long been a favourite place to go. You now need an appointment to apply there. More important, their criteria for providing visas (including tourist visas) have become stricter, with denied applications more frequent.

Yangon: Historically, they had requirements you needed to meet, but were flexible and seem rarely to have denied tourist visa applications. Since it is not a popular city to visit (because of visa requirements to enter Myanmar, and the instability within the country) this embassy has never been very busy. I suspect this is still a good place to go for a tourist visa, though there have been no recent trip reports.

Hong Kong: Sadly, you can no longer apply here unless you are a Hong Kong resident.

Penang: This consulate is now exceptionally busy, and they only accept a limited number of applicants per day. It should probably be avoided but, if you do decide to go there, queue to submit your tourist visa application well before the consulate opens in the morning.

Kota Bharu: A few years ago, this was a decent place to apply, although inconvenient to travel to, and a boring area for many (strict Muslim). I have seen zero recent reports 

Briefly, here is a discussion of other nearby embassies and consulates.

Phnom Penh: Previously considered strict (and it has not become easier) it is now worth consideration just because other places, for the most part, have become similarly difficult. One drawback (assuming your application for a tourist visa is accepted) is that the process takes several days. It is not overnight as with many other locations.

Kuala Lumpur: Has oscillated between a good embassy and terrible. Recent reports suggest it should be avoided but (from experience) this could change at short notice.

Singapore, JakartaBaliSeoul: Very difficult to get Thai tourist visas here.

Who can provide first hand trip reports on their recent experiences?

Good post Tim. From recent reports Bali is a no go as it is a Consulate. Applications must be via the Embassy in Jakarta. Shame as they were helpful in the past.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

How about Manila - is that a good option?

I should have covered Manila. It is an unfriendly location to apply, and applications for tourist visas are often denied.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is a very important question, and the answer probably not what people want to hear. The days of staying long term in Thailand on tourist visas (from neighbouring countries) and visa exemptions seem to be coming to an end. Most embassies/consulates that were lenient in their requirements have been tightening up. The precise criteria they are using is usually unclear. Reports on recent experiences at embassies/consulates in the region would be very welcome.

To start with, here is my assessment of the locations that were considered easy a few years ago:

Vientiane: Still considered a good place to apply, but requires an appointment in order to go there. It is often not possible to find an appointment slot unless you book very well in advance. Historically (and in the absence of updated reports hopefully still) they will give you a tourist visa if you do not already have two issued by them visible in your current passport.

Savannakhet: Was until recently considered an excellent place to apply, with the only drawback being that it is insanely busy when visa run groups arrive (typically Mondays and Thursdays). There are reports that this consulate is now using strict criteria when deciding whether to grant you a tourist visa. One reported guideline is that they will not provide a tourist visa if you have spent over 90 days within the last six months in Thailand as a tourist. They may also deny you if you have over the last few years spent long periods in Thailand without a long term extension to stay. Pending new reports, this consulate should no longer be considered a soft touch.

Hanoi: At one time, this was one of the best places to apply. Almost all recent reports state this embassy is now both unfriendly and strict, especially on providing tourist visas. Best avoided.

Ho Chi Minh City: Since Saigon is a great city to visit, this has long been a favourite place to go. You now need an appointment to apply there. More important, their criteria for providing visas (including tourist visas) have become stricter, with denied applications more frequent.

Yangon: Historically, they had requirements you needed to meet, but were flexible and seem rarely to have denied tourist visa applications. Since it is not a popular city to visit (because of visa requirements to enter Myanmar, and the instability within the country) this embassy has never been very busy. I suspect this is still a good place to go for a tourist visa, though there have been no recent trip reports.

Hong Kong: Sadly, you can no longer apply here unless you are a Hong Kong resident.

Penang: This consulate is now exceptionally busy, and they only accept a limited number of applicants per day. It should probably be avoided but, if you do decide to go there, queue to submit your tourist visa application well before the consulate opens in the morning.

Kota Bharu: A few years ago, this was a decent place to apply, although inconvenient to travel to, and a boring area for many (strict Muslim). I have seen zero recent reports 

Briefly, here is a discussion of other nearby embassies and consulates.

Phnom Penh: Previously considered strict (and it has not become easier) it is now worth consideration just because other places, for the most part, have become similarly difficult. One drawback (assuming your application for a tourist visa is accepted) is that the process takes several days. It is not overnight as with many other locations.

Kuala Lumpur: Has oscillated between a good embassy and terrible. Recent reports suggest it should be avoided but (from experience) this could change at short notice.

Singapore, JakartaBaliSeoul: Very difficult to get Thai tourist visas here.

Who can provide first hand trip reports on their recent experiences?

Great detail, but do you realise you've indicated that every place is strict and has some problem except Vientiane 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

Great detail, but do you realise you've indicated that every place is strict and has some problem except Vientiane 

Unfortunately, unlike with the situation five years ago or so, that is now mostly the reality. It is noticeable that the most professional visa run company in Bangkok will no longer accept people on their visa runs to Savannakhet if the intention is to apply for a tourist visa. The reason is that so many tourist visa applications are denied.

We are not yet in possession of recent reports from places like Yangon and Kota Bharu. These places were previously pretty good, but we cannot say if this is till the case.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I should have covered Manila. It is an unfriendly location to apply, and applications for tourist visas are often denied.

Sorry to badger (ahem) but I'm never really sure what counts as strict in these discussions. Is the "no more than 90 days in the last 6 months" rule about as strict as it gets? I would never fall foul of that one but I don't know if that means I can safely apply anywhere. Also, is this info basically for people who have only been in the country where they are making the application for a few days and intending to go to Thailand right away? Does it make a difference if you've been there for a couple of weeks or a month?

1 hour ago, Badger18 said:

Sorry to badger (ahem) but I'm never really sure what counts as strict in these discussions. Is the "no more than 90 days in the last 6 months" rule about as strict as it gets? I would never fall foul of that one but I don't know if that means I can safely apply anywhere. Also, is this info basically for people who have only been in the country where they are making the application for a few days and intending to go to Thailand right away? Does it make a difference if you've been there for a couple of weeks or a month?

I appreciate your frustration. Usually, it is very unclear precisely which criteria are used. These are some of the factors that are often known to play a part:

• Days in Thailand as tourist over some time period (commonly 90 days over six months)
  • Other long periods in Thailand that some officials do not like (using dodgy volunteer visas, staying years on Covid extensions and using education visas known to be dodgy are examples)
  • The total number of Thai tourist visas visible in your current passport.
  • Whether (and how many) tourist visas issued at that specific location are visible in your current passport.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I followed up on one tip which was Cina Travel Visa Agent in Phnom Pehn. The reply was that is takes 4 days to get your tourist visa. So I asked that if I lodged on Monday Morning, would I get it back on Thursday or Friday and the reply was "come to my office first". Not very encouraging. 

Anyhow, I have not been in Thailand during 2020 and 2021 due to covid. In 2022 I did 2 separate visits from AU both with tourist visas. So at this time I have not been in Thailand for 6 Months, I am leaving shortly. I was thinking of booking flights for my 1 week away and getting that second TV at a friendly Consulate. The last TV I got from a neighbouring country was in Vientiane in 2019 and that Consulate at the time was lodge one morning and pick up the next morning with the first morning being by appointment only. So as far as I know I'm certainly not pushing my luck or abusing the system. I added this info just to clear things up, cheers.

20 odd years ago they had several visa agents in the Georgetown area of Penang that you could use to obtain a tourist visa. Are these visa agents still operational or are they not allowed to provide this service anymore?

Off topic posts with misinformation regarding VPN usage to give immigration the wrong idea of where you are when you apply for an e-visa as well as replies have been removed.

5. You will not use ASEAN NOW to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Topics or posts deemed to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or which deliberately distort information will be removed. In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bmanly said:

20 odd years ago they had several visa agents in the Georgetown area of Penang that you could use to obtain a tourist visa. Are these visa agents still operational or are they not allowed to provide this service anymore?

They can still do it, but the thai embassy now requires every applicant to be interviewed in person. So its pretty much pointless to hire an agent if you have to go with them anyways. Also they only accept limited amount of applications per day, people camp out on the sidewalk early in the morning.

Edited by at15
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bmanly said:

from what i have heard, Jim and the Banana guest house no longer do 

• Thanks 1

If you're up for a change of scenery and would like to explore consider Hong Kong.  I did this a few times years ago, before Covid and the political craziness.  I have no idea what the situation is now.

Some cheap flights to Macau, and you can then ferry over to HK.  I liked Macau, and I don't gamble.