The Slippery Slope..

I went through Suvarnabhumi yesterday and they took my half-height can of shaving cream and full tube of toothpaste. As if to explain, they pointed to the other tubes of toothpaste they had already confiscated. I tried to explain that GRAMs are in fact weight, not liquid volume like LITREs, but they insisted that 100 Milligrams = 100 Millilitres. Convenient.

On my way through the scanners, I noticed a huge, rubber, sealable tub (probably a clothes hamper) into which they had sorted the more "desirable" items. It was hidden behind a sign, and a security agent - a woman - was rummaging through the loot and came up with a piece of hard candy which she popped into her mouth. She then returned to the security checkpoint to rob some more passengers.

So what's next? Wanna rifle through my wallet, Beeach? :o

Edited by expatwannabe

I went through Suvarnabhumi yesterday and they took my half-height can of shaving cream and full tube of toothpaste. As if to explain, they pointed to the other tubes of toothpaste they had already confiscated. I tried to explain that GRAMs are in fact weight, not liquid volume like LITREs, but they insisted that 100 Milligrams = 100 Millilitres. Convenient.

On my way through the scanners, I noticed a huge, rubber, sealable tub (probably a clothes hamper) into which they had sorted the more "desirable" items. It was hidden behind a sign, and a security agent - a woman - was rummaging through the loot and came up with a piece of hard candy which she popped into her mouth. She then returned to the security checkpoint to rob some more passengers.

not all customs officers are all bad ,left my mobile in the xray tray in chaing mai last month ,a man chased me 300 yards to give it back ,not a cheap phone either :D

I've been dealing with the carry-on LAG restrictions since they were implemented last September so have some experience. IME, re: weight-measured items always look for the smallest size available, one that is equal to or less in approximate volume size to a 3 oz/100 ml liquid container. Many stores specifically sell travel-sized items. For shaving cream 2 oz/56 grams has proven acceptable, and 1.75 oz/50 grams for toothpaste passes the test.

All items should be packed in a 1 quart/1liter clear, resealable plastic bag.

Trying to explain weights and measures to screening personnel seems like an fruitless exercise and a potentially stressful way to begin a journey? Just a few minutes of research, probably less time than you spent writing your post or explaining weights, could have put you in a more prepared position.

I guess it would be nice if they could arrange the donation of confiscated items to a worthy cause?

If you wanna keep a pretty face during travels, guess it will cost u. Like most, we usually check it in if possible

One interesting note, when I flew through Suvarnabhumi, the check in agent at Bkk Air asked me if I had only small travel sizes of these things, if I had a plastic bag and if I needed to put any liquids etc in my check in luggage before it was sent on.

If you want to make the lineups really long just try taking through a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (laced with strong laxitive) and see how many customs officers call in sick the next day :o

If you want to make the lineups really long just try taking through a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (laced with strong laxitive) and see how many customs officers call in sick the next day.

Finally some good advice.

I'd like to point out that the website instructions do not mention GRAMS - only LITRES. That's why I thought my shaving cream and toothpaste were ok - because they're not technically liquids. Or if you want to measure them as liquids, you have to convert them through a viscosity or density ratio.

When I noticed the big bin of confiscated goodies - including hard candies - I realized I never would have won the argument. These thieves are looking for anything they can argue is/was in a liquid state - and that they might like to have.

As to the several posters who mentioned checked luggage - this was a short trip to Laos and I didn't care to have the Suvarnabhumi luggage handlers take their pick of my possessions.

Guess they taught me!

Edited by expatwannabe

Which website? The Bangkok Air website very specifically states: liquids, aerosols or gels

Measures Restricting Liquids, Aerosols, and Gels

Bangkok Airways will implement restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels from 1 June 2007. The changes are in line with new guidelines set by the international Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). These measures will apply to flights departing Bangkok Airways, as well as those who are making transit/ transfer connections in Bangkok.

The restrictions are as follows

1. Liquids, gels and aerosols will only be allowed in cabin baggage if they are kept in containers with volumes of not more than 100 ml each.

2. These containers fit comfortably in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag. The total volume of the bag must not exceed 1 litre.

3. Each person is allowed to carry only one such plastic bag.

4. The bag must be removed from cabin baggage and presented to security personnel for visual examination.

Examples of liquids, aerosols and gels include

1. Liquids, all liquids including beverages, soups and syrups

2. gels, including hair and shower gels

3. pastes, including toothpastes

4. creams, lotions and oils

5. contents of aerosol cans, including sprays, shaving foam, deodorants

6. mascara

7. liquid-solid mixtures

8. any other item of similar consistency

Note: The above items are some common examples and are not exhaustive.

Medications and special dietary requirements, including baby formula

1. Liquids, Are permitted in cabin baggage.

2. Must be removed from cabin baggage and declared to security personnel at the checkpoint. These items may be subject to security checks.

3. Customers with prescription medicine are advised to bring along supporting documentation (e.g. ID cards, letters from doctors) as verification.

Duty-free purchases

1. These items must be packed in a transparent, sealed plastic bag. Receipts of the purchased duty free items must be attached or enclosed in the bag.

2. Inflight duty free purchases from previous sectors will be allowed onboard for transiting / transferring passengers if they are packed in transparent, sealed plastic bags with receipt attached.

3. Items, which are not permitted through security checkpoints due to the "Liquids, Aerosols and Gels" restrictions, will be disposed off at the gate.

So, although you could bring up the weight argument here, toothpaste and shaving foam are clearly on the list.

If you want to make the lineups really long just try taking through a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (laced with strong laxitive) and see how many customs officers call in sick the next day :o

At the table before the screening machine they asked me if I had any liquids. I said no. Thye send me on my way. None was found out during the machine screening..........

If you want to make the lineups really long just try taking through a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (laced with strong laxitive) and see how many customs officers call in sick the next day.

Finally some good advice.

I'd like to point out that the website instructions do not mention GRAMS - only LITRES. That's why I thought my shaving cream and toothpaste were ok - because they're not technically liquids. Or if you want to measure them as liquids, you have to convert them through a viscosity or density ratio.

When I noticed the big bin of confiscated goodies - including hard candies - I realized I never would have won the argument. These thieves are looking for anything they can argue is/was in a liquid state - and that they might like to have.

As to the several posters who mentioned checked luggage - this was a short trip to Laos and I didn't care to have the Suvarnabhumi luggage handlers take their pick of my possessions.

Guess they taught me!

Welcome to Thailand, Land of Pretend Smiles.

H

I am flying to UK next week, first time in 5 years. I don't aim to take any liquids or gels in cabin luggage but I will have a DSLR camera and a couple of lenses, recharging equipment, leads etc. Will I have any problems? I certainly don't want my camera gear going into check-in luggage, I would rather leave it at home!

"She then returned to the security checkpoint to rob some more passengers. So what's next? Beeach?

That's right, wannabe, the security folks are cornering the market on half-used tubes of toothpaste and cans of shaving cream.

Just thought I would chime in with odd liquids screening behavior @ BKK.

A co-worker told me a story about her daughters friend. She came up to the liquids screening area @ Suvarnabhumi and they found a bottle (larger than 100ml) of perfume she had just purchased. They told her they would have to confiscate it. This girl begged the screener to let her keep it. The screener decided, as a compromise, she could pour the entire contents of the perfume bottle (again, more than 100ml) into the provided zip lock bag and take it aboard. :o

Edited by StrongView

A co-worker told me a story about her daughters friend.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says your co-workers daughter's friend's 'story' sounds suspect.

Sorry, I couldn't resist paraphrasing 'Simone' to illustrate how lame thrice removed 'stories' can be.

"She then returned to the security checkpoint to rob some more passengers. So what's next? Beeach?

That's right, wannabe, the security folks are cornering the market on half-used tubes of toothpaste and cans of shaving cream.

You think for a moment that they don't?

It's real easy to tell the rational Thailand residents from the starry-eyed newbies...

H

You think for a moment that they don't?

It's real easy to tell the rational Thailand residents from the starry-eyed newbies...

H

Amen to that ! :D

Thailand has world-class expertise in re-cycling, now if only I could find a way to bring in work-gangs to the UK, and charge the local-governments to sort & reduce the volumes of rubbish which are mainly buried or incinerated ... Sigh. :o

Whats so hard about packing that stuff in your check in luggage? Or carrying travel size stuff?

I only carry on my books, makes my luggage lighter :o

I usually only travel with hand-baggage. Now I have to buy toothpaste and shaving gel when I arrive - unless I travel Singapore Airlines, where there is always a stock in the toilets.

Presuming it is not put back on the shelves of a duty free store, that would do the trick! :D

Soundman.

What do you think they do with all the stuff the confiscate? They take it themselves. This happens everywhere, even in the U.S. And now, with the liquid bans in the U.S. and this coming to other parts of the world, most security screeners in most worldwide airports will never have to buy toiletries again!

:o

I feel so sorry for the OP losing his shaving cream and toothpaste but actually I don't. Take note, people. Do not bring any liquids on with your carry-ons. Just don't risk it if you want those items.