Buying a foreign currency in Thailand

I asked Bangkok Bank for a foreign currency account and was told I would have to go to the head office in Bangkok to open the account as there is no branch in Chiang Mai that can make that possible .

I asked if I can buy foreign currency with Thai baht to place in the FCD account .The answer was no as you can only transfer  foreign currency into the FCD account from outside Thailand . 

Can anyone confirm that the advice i received from Bangkok bank is correct ?

I opened a Foreign Currency Account (GBP) in Pattaya a few years ago.

And I can only deposit GBP into it, which of course, can be transferred back to UK for a charge, or converted into THB as needed.

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I opened a Foreign Currency Account (GBP) in Pattaya a few years ago.

And I can only deposit GBP into it, which of course, can be transferred back to UK for a charge, or converted into THB as needed.

At which Bank did you open that Foreign Currency Account?  And are you using it to meet the 800K/400K funds in bank requirement when applying for 1-year extensions when you are on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement?

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

At which Bank did you open that Foreign Currency Account?  And are you using it to meet the 800K/400K funds in bank requirement when applying for 1-year extensions when you are on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement?

Bangkok Bank Pattaya. And yes, it was accepted as my requirement for Retirement Extension, as long as it stayed over Bht 800k. Since then I changed to Combination Method.

• Thanks 1

As someone has said already .. but my account I opened in Pattaya in kasikorn bank not problem transferred money from UK for visa... How ever when I came to get bank letter and had to up date bank book.i had to put money in the account to do this I gave her 1000 bhat she said it has to be in UK pounds.  So lucky there was a currency exchange in the bank.. but had to do it my self.. and note had to do 3 times as she said the UK note they gave was not clean enough. What a joke as there bank just gave it to me... 

• Haha 1