Employer of Records - solution for remote working??

Hi, I have been investigating ways to work remotely in Thailand for a potential new employer who is willing to let me do it, if it can be done 'properly.' They have indicated me working on a tourist visa would not be acceptable. I have looked into LTR and unfortunately the company does not meet the $150m threshold for me to be able to obtain a Professionals working from Thailand (LTR) visa. 

I have been reading today about Employer of Records companies which seems to be a solution for companies (amongst other things) looking to hire remote workers without having to set up there as a legal entity. There are of course fees involved but this is the general summary from one of their websites:

"As an EOR we conclude an agreement with both you and the employee who will be working for your company. We become the legal employer of your new workforce and are responsible for taxes, labor laws, and other local regulations that might be unfamiliar to you now. Your company maintains control over the working relationship, work ethics, tasks, and daily responsibilities of your employee."

They will also take care of visas, work permits, HR and payroll related stuff, tax etc.. 

It all seems legit, but does anyone have any experience of these companies, particularly being employed through them?

• Like 1

I had a Zoom call with someone from Iglu yesterday - same type of company. I'm exploring the same thing as you, only trouble is your employer pays your salary to them then they pay you 70% net! They say the 30% retained is used to pay your taxes etc then, of course, their commission. I would recommend you check exactly how much of your wages you will actually get each month.

I can't personally confirm if these companies are legit or not. I'd maybe try to find some existing employees on LinkedIn or Facebook and sus 'em out?

FB

• Thumbs Up 1

Friend tried this route and applied to a few companies. Had a call from one company that wanted an 80,000 Euro deposit. The rest had stupidly high levels of fees.  Like 15% of gross salary fees and $1000s a month fixed fees for a minimum of a year

He concluded it’s not a real thing and never followed up.  Did he just have bad luck or is that the norm?

• Thumbs Up 1

You should take a look at the Smart visa service that we offer. We can advise you (schedule a free call) and find cost-effective solutions. https://thailand-success.solutions 

Our system is entirely different from classic EOBs: we don't take any money from your existing clients, while we heard that EOBs take 30 or 35% or 600 to 1000 USD monthly for their payroll services. EOB business is certainly legit but not the most cost-effective.

We charge a 12% service fee on an ADDITIONAL salary that we pay you monthly on a service contract with our Social Enterprise. If you work for us, find clients or do other jobs for our growing community of entrepreneurs, you will have nothing to pay back to us, which is our goal. 

If not, you must pay back your remaining salary balance to us. A 3% WHT (Withholding Tax) for the Revenue Department applies. 

Most of our Talents perceive a monthly 100KTHB, with a minimum of 50KTHB (-3%WHT) salary on their payslip with us. No other tax or social security are to pay on these revenues. How do we do this? Because of our status: Our Employment Agency is a BOI-recognized high-tech Social Enterprise (google it), reinvesting 70% of our revenues into social projects. Our sponsoring and endorsement for your BOI Smart Talent visa cost 65 KTHB on-off for one year, plus 10 KTHB for the BOI. Any questions? Ping Rosho and let’s talk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ForeignBeggar said:

I had a Zoom call with someone from Iglu yesterday - same type of company. I'm exploring the same thing as you, only trouble is your employer pays your salary to them then they pay you 70% net! They say the 30% retained is used to pay your taxes etc then, of course, their commission. I would recommend you check exactly how much of your wages you will actually get each month.

I can't personally confirm if these companies are legit or not. I'd maybe try to find some existing employees on LinkedIn or Facebook and sus 'em out?

FB

Cheers I have contacted a few and have a couple meetings set up I will let you know how it goes

1 minute ago, bobble07 said:

Thanks but my type of work does not fall under the BOI targeted industries so I would not qualify for a smart visa

If you apply directly, maybe not. But you would work for our company, which falls under the BOI targeted industries. For a detailed analysis, you need to talk to us, and send a passport copy and a CV. You are welcome to book a free call with Rosho on our website.

13 hours ago, Theyreallrubbish said:

Friend tried this route and applied to a few companies. Had a call from one company that wanted an 80,000 Euro deposit. The rest had stupidly high levels of fees.  Like 15% of gross salary fees and $1000s a month fixed fees for a minimum of a year

He concluded it’s not a real thing and never followed up.  Did he just have bad luck or is that the norm?

It is the norm. Such companies are an option but IMHO very much a last resort. As a digital nomad with no Thai customers, I would never consider them. I do understand the problems people can have with their corporate lawyers, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Where your customers are does not matter. All that matters is where you are, i.e. Thailand.

According to the letter of the law, that is correct. However, the Thai authorities at the highest levels have long decided to make it hugely different in terms of enforcement. If you are not competing with Thais for customers or jobs, the fact that you are working as a digital nomad is 100% tolerated.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

According to the letter of the law, that is correct. However, the Thai authorities at the highest levels have long decided to make it hugely different in terms of enforcement. If you are not competing with Thais for customers or jobs, the fact that you are working as a digital nomad is 100% tolerated.

If you are digital nomad doing some work on the computer in your home for a customer in a other country it would be difficult to catch you. And as you say no competition to Thais.