Concrete mix with no sand?

proton

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

that is an incorrect answer. Certainly some will be unfixable, however there are thin, virtually as thin as cream compounds that are inserted with a syringe that will fill all the voids. The possible problem with these are that they are anything but cheap so pulling out and replacing may be preferable.

Sounds like a potential solution, but  surely  there would be a be a need to drill into the tile to provide an injection point if the void to be filled did not extend to the edge of the tile? 

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Sounds like a potential solution, but  surely  there would be a be a need to drill into the tile to provide an injection point if the void to be filled did not extend to the edge of the tile? 

You certainly could do that without great difficulty, however it’s extremely unlikely that you have a perfectly sealed perimeter with a void in the centre.

21 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

that is an incorrect answer. Certainly some will be unfixable, however there are thin, virtually as thin as cream compounds that are inserted with a syringe that will fill all the voids. The possible problem with these are that they are anything but cheap so pulling out and replacing may be preferable.

my statement is correct and I standby it. Ive used cement caulk countless times and I've also used ready mixed and the ready mix will crack unless its an epoxy based mixture which the one I am recommending and it comes as a caulk, in a tube 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dan O said:

my statement is correct and I standby it. Ive used cement caulk countless times and I've also used ready mixed and the ready mix will crack unless its an epoxy based mixture which the one I am recommending and it comes as a caulk, in a tube 

Your statement that the only way to effectively repair is wrong, just that you don’t know of others.
certainly using your methods and and cement caulk to rip out then replace tiles will give a good final result.

But the method you suggest is just one and is used by those who haven’t kept updated on modern methods.

Just because you have used a method for years doesn’t mean that other equally good or potentially better ones don’t exist. 

An example of the kind of repair systems I’ve mentioned is Fix-A-Floor. http://tradersnetwork.com.sg/index.php/fix-a-floor/  There are other versions of similar products.

If theses don’t work you can go all caveman and use the Dan O method you are just out a bit of time and a small amount of money, if they work as advertised Robert is your mother’s brother!

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your statement that the only way to effectively repair is wrong, just that you don’t know of others.
certainly using your methods and cement caulk to rip out then replace tiles will give a good final result.

But the method you suggest is just one and is used by those who haven’t kept updated on modern methods.

Just because you have used a method for years doesn’t mean that other equally good or potentially better ones don’t exist. 

An example of the kind of repair systems I’ve mentioned is Fix-A-Floor. http://tradersnetwork.com.sg/index.php/fix-a-floor/ 

There are 2 issues going in this thread so dont mix them together.

for the quantity of tile that are not supported properly the correct fix is pull them and replace them properly. Are there other methods yes, will the work correctly or completely probably not.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so I have some understanding of the issues involved. Can you pump thin set, yes but will you know how much area is corrected or not, no. Thats my opinion as a professional, you have yours. 

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

There are 2 issues going in this thread so dont mix them together.

for the quantity of tile that are not supported properly the correct fix is pull them and replace them properly. Are there other methods yes, will the work correctly or completely probably not.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so I have some understanding of the issues involved. Can you pump thin set, yes but will you know how much area is corrected or not, no. Thats my opinion as a professional, you have yours. 

Did you actually bother to watch the videos? Because if you did you would know that “thinset” wasn’t used, thinset likely would likely do as bad a job as you suggest. you would also know exactly how the correct fill was established.

Just because you are a mechanical engineer doesn’t give you any special qualifications in tile repair 

also your reading comprehension is rather lacking if you think that I am incapable of addressing 2 different issues and can’t see that I have addressed both in context . So do please try keep on topic as I do.

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

We had some fixed by the original builder, but I didn't pay much attention.

I think he drilled into the grouting and then just squeezed in what I suspect was a very sloppy cement/water mixture from a washing-up liquid bottle.....worked well.

Yes that's the way. Works well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you actually bother to watch the videos? Because if you did you would know that “thinset” wasn’t used, thinset likely would likely do as bad a job as you suggest. you would also know exactly how the correct fill was established.

Just because you are a mechanical engineer doesn’t give you any special qualifications in tile repair 

also your reading comprehension is rather lacking if you think that I am incapable of addressing 2 different issues and can’t see that I have addressed both in context . So do please try keep on topic as I do.

We will have to disagree as your opinion differs as to what is properly correcting a stated issue versus just "an attempt  to fix a problem" and what mine is. You other comments are also off the mark and you should also practice what you advise toward reading. I'm done discussing this with you so have a  good day. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

We will have to disagree as your opinion differs as to what is properly correcting a stated issue versus just "an attempt  to fix a problem

Your total inability to understand that their is not one “correct” way to solve a problem is typical of the blinkered thinking displayed be some members of your professed profession. That you have not kept up with modern material science just demonstrates the above.

Your repair is invasive time consuming probably impossible to do without having a supply of the same batch number of the tile’s in stock.

My suggested repair is likely to to solve the issue with very little damage to any existing tiles virtually no mess or fuss. The great thing is that if it doesn’t @Bday Prang can then use your method.

FYI a good fix is one that solves a problem in the simplest fastest way possible. It is not “do it this way because it’s the only correct way. Your ‘FIX’ has a potential of repeating the problem, mine does not.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Theory said:

Fill it by spray foam and cut extras that pop out and then paint it. It will look good .

Until uv destroys the foam. Paint will help but UV will eventually win.

• Like 1