Where would you retire -- if money wasn't an issue?

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Illegal? I went all over Thailand during the lock down travelling on my motorbike. Just a few places had lock downs as far I know in Thailand related to factories and markeds

Hotels were not supposed to have guests....the fact they did is another issue.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:04 PM, Thailand J said:

You'll probably need more thn a few million USD.

Beat me to it!

"A few million USD" =/= "money is not an issue."

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd probably retire somewhere on the French Riviera.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Monaco

yeah, and hang out with a bunch of pretentious and obnoxious multi-millionaires.

no thanks. 

if you do win the lottery and get rich, don't act like rich people and don't hang out with other rich people. 

it will poison your soul. 

Just now, save the frogs said:

yeah, and hang out with a bunch of pretentious and obnoxious multi-millionaires.

no thanks. 

if you do win the lottery and get rich, don't act like rich people and don't hang out with other rich people. 

it will poison your soul. 

maybe, God helps the humble and humbles the proud, as Thomas a Kempis said. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/28/2023 at 3:50 AM, BritManToo said:

When you're 70 you probably won't want to do much.

Which is what a lot of posters seem to be missing.

Fair enough. Couldn't do a 2 months of constant travel any more. More like 4 places in 3 weeks, then call it done for a while. I'd like to travel 20-25% of my time.

We like mountains, and more specifically, left-wing type mountains like The Alps, Asheville NC, or Colorado on average. The Himalaya's are hippie, but not left-wing, so a bit on the fence on them. So def some Rose by the glass instead of redneck mountains in the summer and NYC in the Spring. The Upper East Side, of course.

Me and my western wife are in a year-long haggle over BKK versus CM. The lease is up in Feb. I'll bet we go one more and then we move to Sathorn/Silom. Due to mental well being and close affinity, BKK/CM will always be our base.

Overall, I think being fabulously rich would be classier and more fun in Europe than in the states.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:30 AM, Jingthing said:

Many people actually do that but I reckon for most people that would get very boring much quicker than that.

I read that 80% of the people living on cruise ships full time are older, wealthy women. So maybe not.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:06 PM, HuskerDo2 said:

"a place like Asheville North Carolina".... Asheville is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Especially in the winter. The Biltmore Estate is amazing. Estes Park, Colorado and Monaco are the other two places I'd consider the most beautiful I've ever seen.

"A few million isn't really rich."... It actually is, especially if your home is paid for.

Would never go back to the United States unless the trip also included a time machine that put me down in the early 1970s.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:29 AM, gargamon said:

Say you came into a sizable amount of money, maybe a few million US dollars. Would you still reside in Thailand or would you move elsewhere?

Thailand might still be first option, a few million US dollars is not that much – my neighboring house here in Thailand is for sale, asking price is $2.5 million...:whistling:

Money no object but I had to choose one place....

Tricky but as someone who's lived all his life in Asia, therefore as a foreigner my whole life (apart from a stint at boarding school in the UK), and who has a non-Asian GF, I am planning to move to the UK.   

My GF has lived in Dublin and has some family in the UK, so she'd like to move there and we'd like to put her kid into a UK school, but not boarding school (at least not as a boarder).

On 5/28/2023 at 3:59 AM, John Drake said:

I used to think this, too. But, Hawaii, like a lot of the US has become stressful. My life in Thailand is not stressful. I feel okay walking anywhere I want, going where I want. I've never felt threatened or in danger. In the US and even in Hawaii, I'm always looking over my shoulder. The absence of stress and fear is priceless. I do admit that in a perfect imagined world, life would be great on the Robin Masters estate.

life as  a pedestrian in Thailand is fraught with fatality....

7 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

Probably on a huge sail boat, with my own staff.

The older I get, the less I want to interact with people if I do not have to, especially in thight spaces or controlled areas to long. And I am not old yet ????

More and more happy to keep just a handful of friends, and enjoy my own company more and more. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

I'd keep our Pattaya house because I still like living in Thailand with my partner.  Probably we would use the extra money to go on more extended trips with luxury accommodations-- staying in places like New York City, Paris, London, LA, Rome, etc. for as long as we felt like.

• Thumbs Up 1