Where would you retire -- if money wasn't an issue?

31 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I'd stay 6 months a year back in the West in a nice little town for fresh air, cool climate, seasons,  golf, fishing, hiking, good food and drink.

Then, 6 months in Thailand upcountry in the northeast living in house in a nice gated community with a pool. I have have rural house to go to a few days a week for some countryside living.

Of course, I'd fly down to Bangkok or Pattaya once in a while whenever I fancy the big city or seaside.

Isaan with us$3m? 

Uncertain, probably the Caribbean for tax relief and healthcare. Split my time between 4-5 different countries as long as I could - then just the high end condo ????

Home base = Bangkok with fantastic skyline view

Winter Caribbean beach house. No boat, too old

Spring in Italy, Spain then up to Czech and Baltics Historic areas as summer arrives.

Summer later in Bangkok. It's hot but you're just going out at night for dinner and drinks so no big deal.

Autumn in Kyoto

Most likely... My wife and I will camp four months a year in the Andaman National Marine Park, two months back side Koh Tao, two months in Kyoto, one month in Europe and the balance in BKK.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Quite like the idea of living on a cruise liner.Not forever but a few years would be nice.

Many people actually do that but I reckon for most people that would get very boring much quicker than that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Quite like the idea of living on a cruise liner.Not forever but a few years would be nice.

My next door neighbours when I was in UK had two sons who formed a duo playing in pubs and clubs. After one gig a guy approached them. He was a talent scout for cruise line entertainment. He said he was looking for an Everly Brothers tribute band. He thought the two brothers would be most suitable and asked them if they would be interested? However, one brother was at university at the time and the other said he preferred to do his own thing, songwriting and recording. So they said;

"Thanks but no thanks". Wow! If that'd been me!

With more money than I have I would do what I will do:

Staying in Thailand until my son starts to go to university - most likely in an english speaking country,

then move back to Europe, maybe Southern France near Montpellier, or In Italy's Toskana, or even somewhere in Portugal.

From there frequently travel to places I've never been before, enjoy a 6 months motorbike trip through the US and South America, from time to time a few weeks in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bignok said:

Isaan with us$3m? 

Why not?  Plenty of places to live in Issan.  Easy travel, well there use to be from the UTH airport.  Close to Laos for a popover.  Lived there for almost 8 years, while flying back to the US. To Chiang Mai and out to Hong Kong for business.  Just because some of us have money does not mean we have to live in a place that caters to those that do have the funds.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

being one of them with access to my helicopters and Learjet.

I don't think a few million would be able to cover that. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

if money is truly not an issue. 

off planet. 

You and Elon. I'm sure I know what the two of you would be doing... 

46 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Oregon!

Having no issue, illegitimate or otherwise, and no issue with money, either, I would retire to someplace where people care about me more than here.

It rains a lot there, even more than it does here.

Unfortunately, places of retirement such as this are sparse.

I could be voluntary, there; not committed.

I am voluntary, here, too, but it's not the same.

A great movie, can you spot a very young Danny DeVito in this scene? (he's a non-talking extra)

Same same in Isaan, but as someone mentioned, I would buy a new car, neighboring farmland, and also found my retirement (70years +) appartment 10 stores up with seaview somewhere with clean air and overall safe and a country with promising future and good health care.  

I could even join a cruise ship for my last years travelling around with everything onboard and a new horizon every morning. 

All depending on my wife of course. Hapoy wife happy life

• Thumbs Up 1

My first priority would be fine-tuning my health to nip any potential problems in the bud, and give me maximized quality of life.

The second would be setting up those near and dear to me, so they never need concern themselves with their finances for the rest of their lives.

After that, I would become a nomad chasing the sun. I would attend all the great sporting events at their hallowed venues, in a private box. I would dine at the finest restaurants, tour the history of the world, sit in the front row of performances.

I would also no longer bite my tongue when I encounter morons. As Bobby Axelrod said, what's the point of having <deleted> you money unless I can say <deleted> you.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

A great movie, can you spot a very young Danny DeVito in this scene? (he's a non-talking extra)

Danny was the guy who suddenly threw the basketball... Stage Left, without telling the rest of the cast. 

Danny also did Pulp Fiction, another classic. 

I am old enough to have read One Flew, years before the film. 

Danny's best role, IMHO, was his portrayal of the divorce attorney in War of the Roses. 

Thank you for asking. 

I once worked in a state Nuthouse. 

If you ever wish to doubt your own sanity, then mingle with nuts in a hospital. 

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Spacious luxury apartment in Lisbon. Preferably overlooking the 'Golden Gate Bridge'.  Not have any gardening or maintenance to worry about. A lady to do my laundry, dusting and vacuuming. Home hairdressing and manicures/pedicures. Send her out for any shopping or extra items I may need not covered by supermarket deliveries. I prefer having seasons but don't want to suffer discomfort because of them. Therefore, forced air ventilation, central heating and/or air conditioning running at optimum settings 24/7. Any paperwork that I cannot easily do myself on-line to be collected from my door and returned completed by same method.   

what about your sex life?

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My first priority would be fine-tuning my health to nip any potential problems in the bud, and give me maximized quality of life.

The second would be setting up those near and dear to me, so they never need concern themselves with their finances for the rest of their lives.

After that, I would become a nomad chasing the sun. I would attend all the great sporting events at their hallowed venues, in a private box. I would dine at the finest restaurants, tour the history of the world, sit in the front row of performances.

I would also no longer bite my tongue when I encounter morons. As Bobby Axelrod said, what's the point of having <deleted> you money unless I can say <deleted> you.

Another PERFECTLY-written statement about the importance of sports. 

In my opinion, there are only two sports worth mentioning. 

Sitting down while going backwards, and sailing while becalmed. 

Also, clamming. 

The sport of clamming has many rewards. 

Digging clams out of the dark muck. 

And then, swallowing them raw. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin