Where would you retire -- if money wasn't an issue?

Lets hypothesize a little bit. Say you're retired, around 70 years old. Say you came into a sizable amount of money, maybe a few million US dollars. Would you still reside in Thailand or would you move elsewhere? If you'd move elsewhere, where and why that country/location? 

• Like 2

I'd like say 3 places 1 being a ranch place in US, 2 on some remote island somewhere and 3 during retirement no problem Thailand being one of them with access to my helicopters and Learjet.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

If I did not already live most of the time in Thailand, with already having a place in PKK as well as in BKK, and then doing the frequent traveling I do back and forth to the US, I think I would add a place in Panama.  A few friends have recently retired there and are enjoying splitting time between there, the US and Morrocco.  All it takes is money.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

if money is truly not an issue. 

off planet. 

Life in a spaceship would be like living on a boat but with more logistical issues, issues with oxygen, more problems with food and going to the toilet. Be a nightmare after 1 week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'd like say 3 places 1 being a ranch place in US, 2 on some remote island somewhere and 3 during retirement no problem Thailand being one of them with access to my helicopters and Learjet.

you won't get anywhere near that with only a few mil. a hundred should do it.

edit: oops, somebody beat me to it ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd stay 6 months a year back in the West in a nice little town for fresh air, cool climate, seasons,  golf, fishing, hiking, good food and drink.

Then, 6 months in Thailand upcountry in the northeast living in house in a nice gated community with a pool. I have have rural house to go to a few days a week for some countryside living.

Of course, I'd fly down to Bangkok or Pattaya once in a while whenever I fancy the big city or seaside.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A few million isn't really rich.

Let's say you're talking 50 million plus and then I think I would go really big and study the lives of Russian oligarchs.

Not sure if I would buy places but I would "slow travel" much of the time to places like London and New York in good weather seasons (for the culture and live theater), and would mix in tropical paradises in luxury compounds. I would probably get all piggy and become a client of the "Nomad Capitalist" to avoid over taxation based on residency, give up my U.S. citizenship, and put a higher value on preserving health and longevity. I might not come to Thailand ever again as I think I would favor safer more developed destinations.

To add, if it was "just" a few million I buy a modest home for cash in the U.S. for about 400K in a place like Asheville North Carolina, enjoy life, and travel abroad as much or as little as I felt like. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon!

Having no issue, illegitimate or otherwise, and no issue with money, either, I would retire to someplace where people care about me more than here.

It rains a lot there, even more than it does here.

Unfortunately, places of retirement such as this are sparse.

I could be voluntary, there; not committed.

I am voluntary, here, too, but it's not the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1