Title Transfer Within The Family

I am considering buying a house in Thailand and putting it in my wife's name (she is a Thai citezen).

If it was first put in her mother's name, would I have to pay a transfer tax when she transfers it to my wife? I have been told that a house can be transfered from parent to child with no transfer tax. Is this still true?

before they changed the law that a thai married to a falang could not own land

in her name,our house was in my wifes mothers name when they changed the stupid law

my wifes mother transfered the house over to my wife.

what i can remember there was some tax to pay but not that much

if you ask at the land office im sure they will tell you what tax is payable

I've been wondering the same thing....how long does the transfer process take? Is it simply going to the land office with the paper work and signing off? I've been waiting for the parents-in-law to transfer some land to us for over 6 months!!

in her name,our house was in my wifes mothers name when they changed the stupid law

Thai woman who married to foreigner has a right to own land if she did not renounce her Thai citizenship. She also can buy land under her own name with her husband consent and acknowledgement that it was from her own money.

I've been wondering the same thing....how long does the transfer process take? Is it simply going to the land office with the paper work and signing off? I've been waiting for the parents-in-law to transfer some land to us for over 6 months!!

It takes only one day to finish the title transfer, if all the papers required are provided. Do you have Thai citizenship? A land tiltle can only be in the name of a Thai citizen, in this case only in your husband's name.

I am in the U.S. right now and It is more convenient to ask the Thai forum about the title transfer than to call to Thailand. Thank you for your reply.

Well if you do not mind losing your home and possessions to your Thai in-laws (divorce between Thai/Farang is over 80% in Thailand)

If you have kept enough or the majority of your assets outside of Thailand and can survive losing all you have in Thailand

If you would from the bottom of your heart want to give your wife this house and all possessions in Thailand...

I would say signing title over to them....

otherwise....

1. rent

2. set up a Thai corporation with you as majority shareholder... then you can own up to 1 rai of land but I think you need 10-12 million THB capital in company

3. Foreignors can own land if they invest over 5 million THB

but in this life...you must make your own decisions

It takes only one day to finish the title transfer, if all the papers required are provided. Do you have Thai citizenship? A land tiltle can only be in the name of a Thai citizen, in this case only in your husband's name.

No Thai citizenship....the transfer will be from the father's name to his son's name (my husband) so does this mean that very little transfer tax is paid because it's within the family...it's less than 2 rai.

Also think I read that I can own half the house we build legally..how is that when I can't even go on the house registration book???

Thanks for your answer :o

Well if you do not mind losing your home and possessions to your Thai in-laws (divorce between Thai/Farang is over 80% in Thailand)

If you have kept enough or the majority of your assets outside of Thailand and can survive losing all you have in Thailand

If you would from the bottom of your heart want to give your wife this house and all possessions in Thailand...

I would say signing title over to them....

otherwise....

1. rent

2. set up a Thai corporation with you as majority shareholder... then you can own up to 1 rai of land but I think you need 10-12 million THB capital in company

3. Foreignors can own land if they invest over 5 million THB

but in this life...you must make your own decisions

As you are a Journalist I would be interested in what your source was for the 80% divorce rate as this is the first time I have seen such a clear figure. Do you have any figures for outside Thailand? Thanks.