Bhat Bus

Robby nz

When in Pattaya last I had problems getting where I wanted to go on the song taew that are refered to as Bhat buses.

How can you tell other than asking the driver( poot thai mai koi geng) where they are going? Like if I want to go to big C from No2 Rd .

There seems to be no sense in the numbers on the things and they are all the same colour.

In Ubon they have a great system where each route has a different number and colour and a city map showing where each goes.

No idea!

I just wave one down and point in the general direction I want to go. If the driver is going that way, then he'll stop.

If he turns off the route I want, then I ring him to stop, pay and wave down another one going my way. Three baht busses is the most you need to get anywhere reasonable in Pattaya.

Of course you can charter your own, but that'll cost you 100 baht or so.

If you are on 2nd Road going North, it is OK to quickly ask the driver, bai Big C mai?, and he will usually tell you somehow (he usually will be going), and this will not be a charter because that is normal type of run going north on 2nd Road. Do not try this with an empty bus, because then he might try to make it a charter.

The only way to really learn all the ins and outs of the baht bus game is to live here awhile, so just relax and enjoy the chaos.

Edited by Jingthing

Never ask because they will go where u want and then charge u 100bht. I just ride it and if it makes a turn then I get off. Then catch another baht bus going in the same direction you want to as humphrey bear suggested.

In general, never asking is good advise. However, there are times you can ask, and this example is one of them. Basically, if the destination is on a normal run for that direction, but not 100 percent guaranteed. Some of them will turn at Pattaya Klang, it is OK to ask if going to Big C.

If the "bus" has only foreigners in it, there's pretty much a 100% chance that it's going around the main loop that includes Beach Road and Second Road.

If it has only Thais, then there's a good chance its going down Pattaya Klang or somewhere else.

The main pick up point to go around the main loop is the corner of Second Road and South Pattaya Road (Pattaya Tai).

This is where they wait until there's enough people in the bus to make it worth their while.

[quote

However, there are times you can ask, and this example is one of them. Basically, if the destination is on a normal run for that direction, but not 100 percent guaranteed. Some of them will turn at Pattaya Klang, it is OK to ask if going to Big C.

and the reply "100 bhat!"

Yeah, never ask, get in, no talk, as soon as you notice that you go to the wrong direction, get off and pay 10 Baht (...I know some cheapies instist on 5 Bht, but....).

If I plan to go to some off route place I'll take a motorcycle taxi.

Once a mate told me that there is some kind of color stripe system on the Bahtbus, but I never figured that out.

Moo9

This is simply not true in most cases for the specific example I was talking about and the OP asked about. There are complexities to the baht bus game, if you want to act like there aren't because it makes your brain hurt, so be it. One rule does not fit all situations. It is a very situational system.

Edited by Jingthing

Once a mate told me that there is some kind of color stripe system on the Bahtbus, but I never figured that out.

For most holiday makers in Pattaya you will only see two types of Baht Bus: Dark Blue and Dark Blue with a Solid white band painted along the bottom of the door panels.

The BBs with the white stripe are "tied" to the Jomtiem loop, generally they will turn right on to Phratamnak Road at the junction with South Pattaya Road. Empties can be found waiting parked outside the school there for the Jomtiem trip.

Those without the stripe run throughout the rest of Pattaya. The "rule" has been that only BBs on a private hire are allowed to take people from Pattaya to Jomtiem, I feel this "rule" is enforced to the same level as many others in Thailand.

Because many tourists insist on tipping (overpay) the drivers, this encourages the drivers to flock to the tourist dense Second Road - Beach Road loop, why can you never find a BB going were you want to go? It should be remembered that Songthaew means Two Seats/benches not Two Prices.

When Second Road carried two way traffic it was fairly easy to get a BB going East along Pattaya Klang, today less so.

Along the Sukhumvit you will find All White BBs serving the outter Pattaya locations.

Useful map if you are unsure of street names.

When you travel beyond the confines of Pattaya you will see a selection of different colored BBs, each serving different towns and routes. It is worth pointing out that only drivers of Dark Blue BBs shout at tourists when they pay the correct fare, the lime green, red and bright yellow ones always give change for a 20 Baht note and smile when they meet you.

The BBs with the white stripe are "tied" to the Jomtiem loop, generally they will turn right on to Phratamnak Road at the junction with South Pattaya Road. Empties can be found waiting parked outside the school there for the Jomtiem trip.

Those without the stripe run throughout the rest of Pattaya. The "rule" has been that only BBs on a private hire are allowed to take people from Pattaya to Jomtiem, I feel this "rule" is enforced to the same level as many others in Thailand.

When you travel beyond the confines of Pattaya you will see a selection of different colored BBs, each serving different towns and routes. It is worth pointing out that only drivers of Dark Blue BBs shout at tourists when they pay the correct fare, the lime green, red and bright yellow ones always give change for a 20 Baht note and smile when they meet you.

first para - there is also something in Thai on the Jomtien ones - don't know what, but my wife tells me so. And I always believe what she tells me about Thailand. If I'm on Sth Pattaya Road and want to go North along 2nd Road, then I usually point in that direction. Baht bus either stops or doesn't. My wife does the same, but only to particular BBs - and they always stop. Damned annoying!

I've been told about the rule as well, different mafia, I suppose. Where does Soi 17 fit into all this, 'coz we get a virtually zero service and there are plenty of potential customers.

Rgarding your third paragraph - these drivers are not real BB drivers, they are TAT-spoonsored private entrepreneurs trying to lure the tourists out of Pattaya to the real Thailand that lies beyond the glitter and tat (is that why the Tourist Authority of Thailand chose the acronym?) that is Pattaya.