Malaysia's Cili Padi Restaurant Opens In Bangkok

Mid

Malaysia's Cili Padi Restaurant Opens In Bangkok

July 08, 2007 13:03 PM

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, July 8 (Bernama) -- Over one million Malaysians visit Thailand annually, yet there is not even one restaurant that can be considered serving truly Malaysian food, especially in capital Bangkok.

With such a big and promising market, several Malaysians have joined hands to open the "Cili Padi" restaurant here to cater for fellow Malaysians visiting Thailand or working in the capital and for expatriates from Indonesia, Singapore and Brunei.

i' m going with a bravery award here ...........................

Thats great news. I love that style of food and also find it bizarre that it isn't found in Thailand. Where is this restaurant exactly?

Why bravery? I am sure this place will be a big hit and not just with Malays.

Edited by Jingthing

Why bravery? I am sure this place will be a big hit and not just with Malays.

I'm thinking ice to Eskimos and the fact that the featured cuisine is ordinary to be polite.

ordinary ? haha.... thats silly.... well, I cant wait to have a "very ordinary" ROJAK then, or a nice LAKSA PENANG or SARAWAK.

by the way, a LOT of the THAI food (particularly in the South, of course, but not only) is actually adapted from Malay food. and not just the ROTI-man that u see around every corner in the evenings.....

the report should actually rather use "Malay" food than "Malaysian food". I guess they will only serve Malay food, cause its almost impossible to offer all the variety of the Malaysian food in just one restaurant.

because Malaysian food is: Malay food, Chinese food, Indian food, Dayak food (ok that can be ordinary sometimes).... I doubt there is a bigger food variety anywhere else in Asia.....

To your taste perhaps. In the US as an example. Malaysian food is one of the next big things. Thai food has peaked there (its everywhere). I think you have a point about the Thai market though to Thais. Thais seem to not be very interested in foods of nearby nations: Cambodia (understandable), Burma, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia. Laos being the big exception. They don't know what they are missing (and clearly don't care).

http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/20...d/index_np.html

why Malaysian cuisine may be the next big thing.
Edited by Jingthing

Anybody know where this place is? None of the posts, so far, has given a clue to location.

There are approximate directions in the full article linked in the original post. Sounds interesting, I'm going to give it a try next time I'm nearby.

Her restaurant is conveniently located at Soi One, Narathiwat Road, near the business district of Silom and Sathorn, not far from the Chong Nongsi light rail transit station.

ordinary ? haha.... thats silly.... well, I cant wait to have a "very ordinary" ROJAK then, or a nice LAKSA PENANG or SARAWAK.

by the way, a LOT of the THAI food (particularly in the South, of course, but not only) is actually adapted from Malay food. and not just the ROTI-man that u see around every corner in the evenings.....

the report should actually rather use "Malay" food than "Malaysian food". I guess they will only serve Malay food, cause its almost impossible to offer all the variety of the Malaysian food in just one restaurant.

because Malaysian food is: Malay food, Chinese food, Indian food, Dayak food (ok that can be ordinary sometimes).... I doubt there is a bigger food variety anywhere else in Asia.....

I had a Malay chicken biryani in Jahore Baru once that's never been equaled since. I walked across the causeway from Singapore and there was a guy waiting on the other side with a private car. He asked me if I wanted a tour which I accepted and after he took me to where he normally ate lunch. It was less than the price of a pie with sauce in Australia, and the chicken had been simmered in the sauce for a loooong time. One of the great culinary experiences.

When I was in Penang I used to have laksa in a Malay restaurant then walk across the road for a Chinese main course, so it could be washed down with beer which wasn't available in the Malay place.