Air New Zealand weighing passengers before flying

Social Media

Air New Zealand is weighing passengers before they board international flights, as part of a survey to determine average passenger weight.

The weight will be anonymously recorded in a database but not be visible to airline staff or other passengers, the firm said.

Air New Zealand said knowing average passenger weight would improve fuel efficiency in the future.

Participation in the survey is voluntary, the airline added.

The airline previously weighed domestic passengers in New Zealand in 2021.

"Now that international travel is back up and running, it's time for international flyers to weigh in," the airline said in a press statement.

Before the pandemic, the airline flew more than 17 million passengers every year, with 3,400 flights per week.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

yes, yes, yes, assign the people who cannot fitninto their seats to a special section where they can overflow their seats into each other and not take up the seat space i have paid for. why should i be peanalised and inconvenienced because i have a healthy lifestyle and keep slim enough to easily fit into my seat.

You better hope they don't stick all smelly people together, or drunk people, or talk people. 

But maybe you are perfect. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1