787 Dreamliner

cdnvic

Watch the 787 rollout event live on 7/8/07

The rollout event for the 787 Dreamliner will be available for the world to view. In an unprecedented move, the event will be broadcast live via webcast in nine different languages at 3:30 p.m. PDT on Sunday, July 8 (7/8/07) (US Time)

Live webcast through the Internet Go to http://www.boeing.com and get connected to the live webcast.

virginapril242007.jpg

AC_787.jpg

787FlightDeck.jpg

787.jpg

Boeing claims, they will be able to make 1 Dreamliner in four days, instead of 6-12 weeks needed for other planes.

Boeing has introduced an assembly line 96 years after Ford had done it first.

That's the only thing I have found uncomfortable about this engineering marvel.

Should be cheaper, but we all know how that goes. :o

Any example, except Concorde?

Workhorses like A-320, A-319, B-737...made wonders for RyanAir, SouthWest and the lot.

This just another one of the machines to advance that cause (in a long and medium haul arena).

It's been touted as blowing the wings off Airbus business models. Different strategy, that airlines can wrap their entire route structure models around supposedly. I'm no expert, but I know there are some aeronautic nuts on this forum. love to hear from them.

I believe Air Nippon will take the first order in April next year for 50 of the, 20 for long-haul. Possible to see a Tokyo-BKK route for its debut in Thailand.

Air Nippon does not exist. It's ANA - All Nipon Airways. They have absorbed Japan Airlines a decade ago or so.

Yes, ANA were the first customer for 55 planes, possibly because 55% of the plane is made in Japan.

Quite good, if I know the parts are Japanese, I feel more comfortable aboard.

Air Nippon does not exist. It's ANA - All Nipon Airways. They have absorbed Japan Airlines a decade ago or so.

No, Japan Airlines is it's (bigger) competitor. ANA absorbed Air Japan. Japan Airlines (JAL) merged with Japan Air Systems.

No, Japan Airlines is it's (bigger) competitor. ANA absorbed Air Japan. Japan Airlines (JAL) merged with Japan Air Systems.

Sorry, I meant part of ANA is former Air Japan. The planes flying to NRT-BKK have small "Air Japan" written on them.

post-7277-1183928963_thumb.jpg

Those engines are huge. Interesting that the nose looks pointier than other Boeing and Airbus models. Have aerodynamics changed that much in 30 years?

Aerodynamic designs were often compromised by structural and production considerations. They still are, just to a lesser degree.

The 787 launch was great. Can't wait to fly in that bird. :o

Fresh news about the A350.

Airbus, GE dispute could delay A350 plane: paper 2 hours, 21 minutes ago (before time of post)

PARIS (Reuters) - An escalating dispute between Airbus and jet-engine supplier General Electric Co (NYSE:GE - news) could delay deliveries of the European airplane maker's A350 extra wide body jet, the Wall Street Journal said on Monday.

GE and Airbus, owned by European aerospace and defense company EADS (EAD.PA) (EAD.PA), disagree because the largest version of the A350 is to compete with the largest version of Boeing Co's (NYSE:BA - news) 777 aircraft for which GE is the exclusive engine supplier, the WSJ said citing Airbus and GE officials.

The reported dispute comes as Boeing unveiled its new lightweight, carbon composite 787 Dreamliner aircraft on Sunday. The mid-sized long-range aircraft has already attracted more than $100 billion in orders and would compete with the yet to be built A350 XWB (extra wide body), which has GE's UK rival Rolls-Royce (RR.L) as the only current engine supplier.

GE officials told the WSJ they will not build a new engine that competes with the one they supply for the 777 but the company has offered Airbus a version of the new GEnx engine which it is creating for the Dreamliner.

Airbus executives said the engine would work only for the two smaller sizes of the three proposed A350 sizes. Wiring problems have delayed the launch of Airbus's A380 jet, causing a slump in EADS's profits last year. The A350 will reach the market five years after Boeing's 787.

Airbus and GE have both said negotiations about the engines for the A350 are continuing but the WSJ reported that no resolution appeared imminent.

The main advantages the airlines see in the 787 is increased profitability due to lower fuel burn, increased reliability and lower maintenance costs. This should result in increased profitablity for the airlines ( a good thing since many airlines are stuggling to make a profit) but in my opinion not lower airfares in the short term. Over the long term however these more fuel efficient aircraft should have a positive effect on the consumer price for air travel.

The 787 will cruise Mach .85 which is about the same as the 747 (.85) and the 777 (.84) so it will not get you to your destination any quicker. The range of the 787-9 will be around 8500 nm. which is slightly longer than most longer range 747's but not a long as the 777-200LR which has a range of about 9450 nm.

The main passenger advantages that we as customers will probably benefit from are interior enhancements, higher humidity inside the cabin, better air filtration, larger windows, and the aircraft's ability to maintain a lower cabin altitude at cruise altitude. These items are supposed to translate into more comfort and a less stressful trip for the customer.

The biggest change I am looking forward to in future aircraft still on the drawing board will be the ability to operate at higher subsonic speed such as Mach .90 or slightly above without sacrificing economy. I think all of us would be happy if we were able to shave an hour or more off on some of these long haul international trips.

Edited by jetjock

Anyone kinda skeptical that they can unload the luggage from an A380 very quickly. I imagine there is a container system but how many airports can handle double the bags? LAX has to go double carousels for 747's and even with slow immigration you have to wait a while for bags.

I would love to fly it to a new airport though.

Edited by Carmine6

Those engines are huge. Interesting that the nose looks pointier than other Boeing and Airbus models. Have aerodynamics changed that much in 30 years?

I still reckon the 777 GE90 engines are far more impressive at around 115,000 LBS of thrust. Aparently they are also wider than the cabin of the 737..................

Some 787 pics and a pic of the 777-200LR with the GE90 engines to compare.

post-27248-1184105861_thumb.jpg

post-27248-1184105880_thumb.jpg

post-27248-1184105904_thumb.jpg

post-27248-1184105924_thumb.jpg

post-27248-1184105954_thumb.jpg

post-27248-1184106117_thumb.jpg

I still reckon the 777 GE90 engines are far more impressive at around 115,000 LBS of thrust. Aparently they are also wider than the cabin of the 737..................

Some 787 pics and a pic of the 777-200LR with the GE90 engines to compare.

Don't know much about the technical differences, but just flew the 777 (last pic) from Beijing to Amsterdam in some 9,5 hours...smooth and perfect flight.

But, curious about the 787.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Whilst we're on the subject of the Boeing 777, can anyone tell me why it is the only modern airliner that doesn't have winglets?

777s are using raked wingtips, which give even better performance according to Boeing. You also see them on the 787 and 767-400.