10 Thai provinces at risk as strong monsoon rains bring threat of flash floods and landslides

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) released an advisory today warning about strong monsoon rains impacting 10 provinces, urging caution against potential flash floods and landslides. The advisory will remain in effect until June 6 and impacts the Andaman Sea, Thailand, and the Gulf of Thailand.

According to the announcement, the south-westerly monsoon rains are growing stronger, causing waves of 2-3 metres in height in the Andaman Sea. In areas affected by thunderstorms, the waves can reach heights of over 3 metres.

The Gulf of Thailand is also experiencing 1-2 metre high waves, with heights exceeding 2 metres in thunderstorm regions. Fishermen in these areas are urged to exercise caution and avoid navigating in areas experiencing thunderstorms. Small boats should refrain from setting sail in the Andaman Sea until June 6.

by Nattapong Westwood

Top Photo by Flickr

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather/heavy-rainfall-alert-10-provinces-face-potential-monsoon-rains-flash-floods

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

No it isnt unless you are registered with Thaiger and I'd take a wild guess and say very few are so yes, a meaningless article to most.

Since behind a paywall/register/no adblocker, I also find such sites useless.

For other non Thaiger members:

Weather Forecast Warning

To: Marine Department

to the ship line:All ships (All)

According to the announcement of the Meteorological Department about strong winds and heavy to very heavy rain, No. 3 (163/2566) dated June 1, 2023, affecting until June 6, 2023 for the eastern and southern regions, the west coast still has thunderstorms. continuously And there are some heavy to very heavy rains in the provinces of Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Trang and Satun, asking people in the area to be careful of the effects of heavy rain and accumulated rain that can cause flash floods. Wild water flowing, water overflowing the banks and mudslides as well.

In addition, the rather strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the Gulf of Thailand. This causes rather strong wind waves in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. In the Andaman Sea, waves are 2-3 meters high and in thunderstorm areas the waves are higher than 2 meters. Boatmen in such areas are asked to navigate with caution and avoid thunderstorm areas. Small boats in the Gulf of Thailand should refrain from leaving the shore.

For safety in navigation and prevention of accidents on the water. Chanthaburi Regional Harbor Office Therefore, we would like to inform the ship owners, ship masters, or ship operators to exercise caution in sailing. Sailing should be canceled during thunderstorms and strong winds. And for small boats with a length of less than 6 meters, they should stay ashore until June 6, 2023, or until the weather permits and is suitable for navigation. in accordance with the Marine Department Announcement No. 243/2564 regarding sailing at sea as appropriate for the ship's length and wind and wave conditions. and follow the weather forecast from the Thai Meteorological Department or government agencies that are closely related

https://whitelist.md.go.th/notify/view/11812

• Thanks 1

Quite the opposite where we are, PKK, and no rain yet, or forecast in the immediate future.   Aside from the 'scattered thunderstorms' in the daily forecast, yet to materialize in our area.

image.png.d169ad2e583b3d79308a391ed928f589.png

This certainly isn't very optimistic for the next 2 months:

"The rain will pause this year between June and July before returning at a rate of 60 to 80 per cent in August and September. The rain will stop in mid-October."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2023/06/01/drought-effectsl-the-national-park-has-closed-to-tourists/

On 6/3/2023 at 9:04 AM, KhunLA said:

Quite the opposite where we are, PKK, and no rain yet, or forecast in the immediate future.   Aside from the 'scattered thunderstorms' in the daily forecast, yet to materialize in our area.

image.png.d169ad2e583b3d79308a391ed928f589.png

This certainly isn't very optimistic for the next 2 months:

"The rain will pause this year between June and July before returning at a rate of 60 to 80 per cent in August and September. The rain will stop in mid-October."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2023/06/01/drought-effectsl-the-national-park-has-closed-to-tourists/

Finally, a nice downpour, short, so far, but substantial.   Everything watered, and solar panels washed off ????

Previously, not enough rain to connect the dots of the droplets, before they evaporated ...????

Expect a news-blip tomorrow, of Bang Saphan being flooded, as always seems to follow the first day or 2 of rain, until the ground softens up.

On 6/1/2023 at 3:54 PM, ThaiFelix said:

No it isnt unless you are registered with Thaiger and I'd take a wild guess and say very few are so yes, a meaningless article to most.

Don't tell nonsense.

I can open it with or without a script blocker.

Never any registering.

If I open it without any blockers in Chrome incognito window I get the usual popup offer to subscribe for an ad free access. Close that box and that's it.

Completely normal these days and found on many sites.

Nowhere near a "paywall".

Edited by KhunBENQ

37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't tell nonsense.

Never any registering.

If I open it without any blockers in Chrome incognito window I get the usual popup offer to subscribe for an ad free access. Close that box and that's it.

+1  I access by "InPrivate window" in Edge!

45 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't tell nonsense.

Never any registering.

Way too much clicking for me, to read these headliners.  Just google some version of the title, and usual brings up the source of news-blip, if interested.

Edited by KhunLA