Best way to soundproof a ceiling?

TrevorCorey123

I am looking for the best way to soundproof my condo ceiling. 

I have been having many issues with my neighbor above me with banging and impact noise and keeping me awake. I had reached out to some soundproofing companies in Bangkok to soundproof the ceiling and was quoted at over 50k baht (for 20 SQM). I have since actually looked in my ceiling through a light fixture hole and realized there is actually not insulation at all. It's just the thin drywall suspended ceiling, about a 2 foot gap, and then my neighbors concrete floor.

I am now thinking that maybe I don't need the premium sound insulation but I can just use the typical home insulation which costs a lot less, and then finish with thicker drywall. I don't mind spending money, but if I can do my entire condo (100SQM) for 50k rather than just the bedroom, that would be great.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this and suggest types of insulation to use or their personal experience? I was also looking into blow in insulation but not sure if that exists here.
I am not really DIY illiterate but, insulation is not something I have so much experience with. 

Thanks and have a good day. 

20230601_154325.jpg

IMG_20230601_152936_884.jpg

IMG_20230601_152948_492.jpg

Screenshot_20230601_154413_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1

Just in general.

I suggest watch a couple of videos about sound isolation on YouTube.

You will learn the following:

- it's easier to isolate against high frequencies. The lower the frequencies the more difficult and expensive.

- (at least for medium to high frequencies) first you should look for any holes and cracks where the noise gets through. That can be i.e. shafts with water pipes, etc.

- I think that the ceiling in your picture will isolate a lot of sound. I think your neighbor above has to do a lot of banging to get through that ceiling. So I would first try to find out where exactly the noise comes from.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Thanks a lot for the reply.

The only real option you have is to use the insulation batts, which come in many varieties and thickness. The gypsum ceiling can be cut open at various points to accommodate this. If you use a good ceiling guy, you won't even notice the repairs after they finish. This would be the most cost effective way.

That's probably the way I will go. Do you know if the ceiling guy would have to drill in and install aluminum framing?  Silly question but I am not familiar with concrete construction as everything is wood where I come from ????.

Of course you could also ask him to be quiet. (maybe give him a 1000 baht a month--cheaper than insulation).

I wish I could do this. The guy is a bit of a nob and seems to be running laps in his place until 2 am most nights. 

1 hour ago, poobear said:

I just went through this process in a house in Hua Hin and eliminated the recessed lights and insulated the whole ceiling with 6" of stay cool insulation. From months of research (madness) I learned you have to get rid of any holes  letting in  the noise, ie recessed lights, and replace with surface mounts https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sylvania-bravo-curve-led-rd-sur-12-lyfcargtak1w036-i2924562120-s10722915771.html?from_gmc=1&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:19668221003!!!!!c!!10722915771!520995963&gclid=CjwKCAjwpuajBhBpEiwA_ZtfhbkAms7a_wTgGl46hnl0_R3yJXq9esmHzZ2T223YF51dV8VjyT6y-BoCw0AQAvD_BwE 

I used these syvania lights and am very happy with them. Next you could insulate   above the ceiling and then the most important would be to put the thickest sheet rock you can find. The less holes and more density between you and the noise the better.

There is no guarantee that insulation will work and would suggest lookin on the net for the best remedy for your situation. One thing for sure is you will need to get rid of the recessed light both to close up the holes and to make full insulation possible.  I wish you good luck. The noise in my place was driving me mad and eventually I just sold and moved

For me the most important is the bedroom, and I would had insulated round bout from top to floor, and new windows. Just the celing can do a little vit, but in most cases you need to do the walls to, and best result if you finish with new sound proof flooring. 

Expensive but worth it if you first start being annoyed, it will never stop before you do it properly.

• Love It 1

Dunno how much a difference insulation would make as it’s mostly that low frequency boom that also comes down the walls through the solid concrete joists. Horrible sound and some places are especially prone. Always try to get top floor wherever I stay—booming feet and scraping chairs drives me nuts. Guess insulation would help (up against joists if poss), but carpeting upstairs floor would probably work better. ????

• Like 1

Depending on how effective the management is, most condos have rules about excessive or untimely noise.

I am assuming the OP owns his condo, another argument for renting.

Blow-in insulation becomes a fire risk as it ages, it is usually paper fluff dosed with boric acid as a flame retardant.

The effectiveness of home insulation batts or rolls depends on its thickness. Materials designed for sound reduction are usually more dense than home insulation.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, poobear said:

I just went through this process in a house in Hua Hin and eliminated the recessed lights and insulated the whole ceiling with 6" of stay cool insulation. From months of research (madness) I learned you have to get rid of any holes  letting in  the noise, ie recessed lights, and replace with surface mounts https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sylvania-bravo-curve-led-rd-sur-12-lyfcargtak1w036-i2924562120-s10722915771.html?from_gmc=1&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:19668221003!!!!!c!!10722915771!520995963&gclid=CjwKCAjwpuajBhBpEiwA_ZtfhbkAms7a_wTgGl46hnl0_R3yJXq9esmHzZ2T223YF51dV8VjyT6y-BoCw0AQAvD_BwE 

I used these syvania lights and am very happy with them. Next you could insulate   above the ceiling and then the most important would be to put the thickest sheet rock you can find. The less holes and more density between you and the noise the better.

There is no guarantee that insulation will work and would suggest lookin on the net for the best remedy for your situation. One thing for sure is you will need to get rid of the recessed light both to close up the holes and to make full insulation possible.  I wish you good luck. The noise in my place was driving me mad and eventually I just sold and moved

Thanks very much for your detailed response! I have found Rockwell insulation that is supposed to be the best, as well as a double wall of drywall. I think I will just go with a soundproof company after all. I found one that will do it for about 1500-1800 per sqm, included everything. I also remeasured the room and realized my conversion was off so the SQM I need to cover is less than originally anticipated.

It's funny you live in Hua Hin because I visit there frequently and often think "this wouldn't happen if I made the move to HH to a secluded pool villa!"

On 6/3/2023 at 3:26 AM, daveAustin said:

Dunno how much a difference insulation would make as it’s mostly that low frequency boom that also comes down the walls through the solid concrete joists. Horrible sound and some places are especially prone. Always try to get top floor wherever I stay—booming feet and scraping chairs drives me nuts. Guess insulation would help (up against joists if poss), but carpeting upstairs floor would probably work better. ????

Yes you are right. It's all impact noise and insulation is less effective. I have done a lot of research though and considering there is no insulation no at all and probably the thinnest, cheapest drywall out there, a double layer of Rockwell sound insulation, with resilient channels and a double layer of drywall, *should* make a big difference. It's worth a try for my sanity anyway.  
Good point on the carpet. I will try to stay polite to the plonker above me and offer a new carpet for the area above my bedroom. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:41 AM, Lacessit said:

Depending on how effective the management is, most condos have rules about excessive or untimely noise.

I am assuming the OP owns his condo, another argument for renting.

Blow-in insulation becomes a fire risk as it ages, it is usually paper fluff dosed with boric acid as a flame retardant.

The effectiveness of home insulation batts or rolls depends on its thickness. Materials designed for sound reduction are usually more dense than home insulation.

Yea blow-in seems not a great option here considering the fire risks.  The OP's parents own the condo and juristic is unfortunately unable to do much overall. They tell the person off but ultimately it's not remedied. 

Thanks everyone for the replies.  So my solution will be to go with an actual soundproofing company as my sanity and sleep is worth the cost. I misspelled it in previous replies, but the plan is now to go with a double layer of Rockwool soundproofing insulation, using resilient channels, and then a double layer of 5/8s drywall.

I am in an older building, which is great for the massive units that are rare in newer builds, but I guess they really skimped on soundproofing in the 90s. That or the renovation that's been done was lacking in it. 

rockwoll.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TrevorCorey123 said:

the plan is now to go with a double layer of Rockwool soundproofing insulation, using resilient channels, and then a double layer of 5/8s drywall.

There is an actual sound resistant board for the ceiling.

If you want to do the job properly then you need to use sound isolation mounting clips ( on the existing ceiling then suspend/mount the isolation board (sand filled)  to them making sure that the board does not touch the walls the gap between the walls and the board is then calked with special sound isolation calk.

https://soundstop.co.uk

https://soundstop.co.uk/collections/acoustic-ceiling-products 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:59 AM, freedomnow said:

Earplugs.

30 Baht

I've lived through 2 condo constructions adjacent to my condo, a total of about 4 years of construction noise in 2 different residences. The best way I found to cope was playing easy listenting music all day to drown out the construction noise. I don't think any insulation will stop the loud thumping noise on a condo floor above. Noise travels very well through concrete, so the noise travels down the walls too.

• Love It 1

I would have to agree that rock-wool/ double layer 5/8 sheetrock was the best solution I could find on the web. You will have to get rid of the downlight also to eliminate the holes and make for solid insulation. for Also the comment about music in the  background was also one of the solutions we found that worked by transferring my focus from the outside noise to the music/lyrics. good luck

1 hour ago, TrevorCorey123 said:

Yea blow-in seems not a great option here considering the fire risks.  The OP's parents own the condo and juristic is unfortunately unable to do much overall. They tell the person off but ultimately it's not remedied. 

Juristic persons do have the power to cut off electricity and water supply to offending or un-financial condos, although I understand it is very rarely exercised.

• Sad 1

On 6/1/2023 at 5:04 PM, couchpotato said:

That is usually the normal Condo ceiling gap--ie: just a space and nothing else.

The only real option you have is to use the insulation batts, which come in many varieties and thickness. The gypsum ceiling can be cut open at various points to accommodate this. If you use a good ceiling guy, you won't even notice the repairs after they finish. This would be the most cost effective way.

Spray foam is not really an option, as its expensive and a very dirty job. Also the foam would have to be sprayed onto the cement underside of the above room.

The only other way (which would be very expensive) is too spray the underside of the room above with foam, and also use insulation batts, but with the gap between the floor and your ceiling, it might not be that effective.

Of course you could also ask him to be quiet. (maybe give him a 1000 baht a month--cheaper than insulation).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Found this today--good info.

349516328_806089210882604_2394159292731037378_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:08 AM, soi3eddie said:

He took exception to me knocking on his door and politely asking him to quieten the kids.

I had a situation like this with my neighbor. First time I ignored it. Second time I waited maybe 20min and it didn't get any better. I called the building security. They knocked on his door and it was quiet. Next time the trouble started again I called the security right away. Slowly the neighbor learned. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a situation like this with my neighbor. First time I ignored it. Second time I waited maybe 20min and it didn't get any better. I called the building security. They knocked on his door and it was quiet. Next time the trouble started again I called the security right away. Slowly the neighbor learned. 

Knocking on the door with 2 hands leaning on a baseball bat by security works good. ????

• Haha 1

Good luck with all that.

Before I renovated my apartment, I watch at least 10 YouTube videos about this. What I learned is just throwing money on what might be the problem is maybe not the best idea.

I.e. maybe the problem are conduits for electric cables in the walls. And maybe isolating the electrical outlets is a solution to solve this problem.

Obviously maybe not, maybe it's the ceiling.

My point is that I wouldn't spend a lot of money to isolate the ceiling only to later find out that the noise is still there because it came from somewhere else.

There must be some experts out there who are able to check the details.

• Like 1

1st. You have a right to ask security for a quiet environment.

2nd. Try Bose sleep buds noise cancelling. Personally not an option for me as I hate things in my ears.

3rd. Do the insulation others talk about here. Be aware of conducted and radiated sounds. After spending a lot may not be affective. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck with all that.

Before I renovated my apartment, I watch at least 10 YouTube videos about this. What I learned is just throwing money on what might be the problem is maybe not the best idea.

I.e. maybe the problem are conduits for electric cables in the walls. And maybe isolating the electrical outlets is a solution to solve this problem.

Obviously maybe not, maybe it's the ceiling.

My point is that I wouldn't spend a lot of money to isolate the ceiling only to later find out that the noise is still there because it came from somewhere else.

There must be some experts out there who are able to check the details.

As mentioned earlier, soundproof round bout inclusive new windows, frames and doors, is the only solution if you are sensitive to noise. Bedroom is to most important. 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

As mentioned earlier, soundproof round bout inclusive new windows, frames and doors, is the only solution if you are sensitive to noise. Bedroom is to most important. 

Sorry, no. It's not the only solution.

Obviously that is one solution. Doing everything is obviously also the most expensive solution.

But why to A, B and C when D is the main factor for the noise?

I.e. in my condominium I made sure all the cracks on top of all the internal walls to the neighbors were filled. No cracks anymore means the sound has to go through the walls and not the cracks. That is a lot more difficult for the noise. Result: Less of that noise arrives on my side.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry, no. It's not the only solution.

Obviously that is one solution. Doing everything is obviously also the most expensive solution.

But why to A, B and C when D is the main factor for the noise?

I.e. in my condominium I made sure all the cracks on top of all the internal walls to the neighbors were filled. No cracks anymore means the sound has to go through the walls and not the cracks. That is a lot more difficult for the noise. Result: Less of that noise arrives on my side.

Im just trying to say, when first annoyed by noise, you need to cover every aspect ????

It is expensive, and yes, there is many ways to make a dissaster and get no result because those who do the job, do not know the job they are doing. 

Sound carrier can as you say be many things, especially in those poor build condos found cheap in Thailand, and especially the newer fancy ones as well. 

Is it worth it? Maybe, for me, I rather move to a quiet well built condominium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

for me, I rather move to a quiet well built condominium. 

In the moment the units above and below me are not occupied. No noise problem.

Let's see what will happen in the future.

I paid attention to my neighbor walls left and right and I have a sound isolation front door. I still have to move in after my mostly finished renovation. Let's see.