Thai tourism risks missing Indian visitor target due to visa delays, taxes

webfact

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

Indian government’s proposal to raise its Tax Collected at Source (TCS) for overseas tour packages from 5% to 20%,

Nice move from the Indian government. (Similar to the proposed exit tax here in Thailand.)

'We do not want our citizens to take their money out of the country.

We want them to spend it here.'

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Enchantive Asia’s chief executive Rajesh Nair highlighted that despite the strong demand from Indian travellers, several obstacles are impeding their arrival in Thailand. Among these is the Indian government’s proposal to raise its Tax Collected at Source (TCS) for overseas tour packages from 5% to 20%, effective from July 1.

Damn, screwed before you leave and again on entry to your destination.

You have to wonder at the stupidity of some people:

"Additionally, tourist visa applications now take up to 15 days to process, compared to less than a week before the pandemic."

So you're going on a holiday and amongst all the other arrangements cannot apply for your visa 2 weeks early?  D'Oh!

The tax, of course is another matter - 20% is extortionate, IMO.

• Like 1

Poor TAT, every time they come with a new (scam) sorry I mean scheme something happens. Personally IMHO all countries should ban together and impose a 20% departure tax at the airport if the word Thailand appears in any text... haha

Let's face it, it's mostly just a pussy tax. Will be paid gladly.

Only problem is the middle men are getting all the profits, the poor Thai gals are getting left out.  Guys are being fleeced before they hit the streets in Thailand. Making it hard for the Thai gals to get a good payday.  Or vendors of any kind really.

Maybe that is why the government wants only the rich. That way they can be fleeced all the way down the food chain..  haha

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

What a terrible shame. Where can I get the new suits I came to Thailand for?

Years ago I bought one in Phuket.   I had a couple of fittings but got rather anxious as my flight date neared.  At last I picked it up from the tailor securely wrapped en route to the airport.  When I got home & unpacked, my chosen material had been replaced by some the texture of cardboard.

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If Indians knew what Thais think about them, they would spend their money elsewhere anyway. ????

If the Thais knew what Indians think about them, they would probably jump in CP river.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, webfact said:

As a result, many tourists have switched to obtaining visas-on-arrival at the airport, leading to terminal congestion.

I recently came back to Thailand via Suvarnabhumi mid-afternoon on a weekday.

The line at my Immigration counter, to my somewhat surprise and relief, was pretty short and brief.

But the visa on arrival counter just outside the main Immigration section was rammed with people and long queues....  Seems like I saw a lot of Chinese and Indians there, among others.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, bignok said:

The average Indian stays for 7 days. Go read their itineraries on TA. The best tourists are Europeans who stay for weeks, sometimes months.

True if you were comparing 1 European against 1 Indian on a standalone basis, however as a target market if you look at the last decade the European market has pretty much peaked with very little potential for future growth, whereas the Indian market is growing and has the potential to grow much further in the future. Patterns of expenditure are also different, a European spending in their favourite beer bar for weeks isn't better for the traditional tourist event venues or pursuits.