Mexico v Thailand

5 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Absolutely. As long as you can dodge inter-cartel crossfire and having your head blown off, Mexico is a very competitive alternative to Thailand.

Yeah, that's an obvious drawback. Are gringo lower in status than farang?

6 minutes ago, Furioso said:

A lot of people move to South Brazil, day 1 start learning Portuguese and it can be a very happy place. 

Yep, gotta learn the local lingo. Thai is hard. Spanish much easier. I studied it in the US and was actually holding my own in conversations on trips to Central America.

I understand Portuguese is a not too distant cousin of Spanish. Should be a fun project to try and learn it and then head over to Brazil, even if only for a vacation.

Btw, when you say South Brazil which towns in particular?

12 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Yep, gotta learn the local lingo. Thai is hard. Spanish much easier. I studied it in the US and was actually holding my own in conversations on trips to Central America.

I understand Portuguese is a not too distant cousin of Spanish. Should be a fun project to try and learn it and then head over to Brazil, even if only for a vacation.

I lived in Portugal, Portuguese is not easy, even though the Spanish and Pr. can understand each other more or less. Brasilian Portuguese is likely even more difficult being loaded with Creole. 

I tried out Mexico, Aguascalientes is as safe as it gets, and every brand is American, and cheap.

Fun fact: A German neighbour working at the vast VW plant there had a Thai wife! 

Anyway, I enjoyed the Philippines more than Mexico, but Thailand beats the Philippines  for safety, medical, and infrastructure, especially infrastructure. Burning trash every night makes the suburbs there smell like a war zone. 

And the stench from the trash they do collect would waft from Cebu City over the water to Mactan Yacht Club.

Why can't they even get the basics working right? 

Corruption may be a big issue in Thailand, but it's on a while other level over there. And the reason it's a basket case, even with its own oil and gas reserves! The common wealth is all stolen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Spanish would be easy to pick up.  I was even fluent reading/writing.  But an actually conversation ... my brain has a hard time processing when coming at me that fast ???? 

When in Mexico, most went over my head, but got a rough idea what was being said or asked.

So much easier than the tonal Thai.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

Thai isnt that hard.

• Haha 1

If Medico is a good place to live why than so many Mexicans (millions) are fleeing this country?

no way can anyone compare Medico to Thailand.

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Tried it for you already. I’m american (California) and also lived in Thailand 10 years.

I got tired of Thailand about 5 years ago and tried Mexico. I already knew Mexico, but wanted to test it out long term living there. I lasted about 3-5 months or something. Lived in puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara and Mexico City before calling it quits.

Here are some of the reasons:

I was stuck in a very touristy resort location or a gringo apartment. local housing is not very accessible, esp if you don’t speak spanish

Resort  areas are pretty pricey. Usually just under USA costs.

the Mexican guys are really annoying

the Mexican women are very shy and difficult to spproach

I could not eat beans and rice every day

the stupidity of tourists drinking got to me

theres something wrong with the toilets and plumbing

felt like I was trapped there. No nearby countries to visit or move to if I needed to.

seems like the people are poor just like in Asia many places, but the Mexicans kind of “know they are skint”. They don’t deal with it well. So they are kind of pissed off and jaded about it because they know what’s going on in the USA.

Fiery tempers?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ezzra said:

If Medico is a good place to live why than so many Mexicans (millions) are fleeing this country?

no way can anyone compare Medico to Thailand.

That is what I don't understand. Seems to be only good for rich tourists. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Not true. Mexico is extraordinary, on so many levels. Only someone who hasnot spent alot of time there, can say something as uneducated as what you said, about Mexico. 

There is poverty in Mexico, and alot of poorer people move to the US for the opportunities. But, Mexico has a huge and vibrant economy and a large middle class. It has a GDP twice the size of Thailand and the per capita income is 50% higher than Thailand, at nearly $10,000.

Yet you live in Thailand. So it ain't that good. Looks great for middle class holiday. I wouldn't want to live there.

• Sad 1

Mexico is more of an alternative for US citizens since it is very close. Otherwise if you must fly half-way around the Earth there are other countries in Latin America which don't tax foreign pensions, like Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina.

Thailand is still reasonable. It used to be cheap. Has not been cheap for a long time. But, it is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. That is 120,000 baht!

In Mexico in nice areas, expect to pay $1,000 per month, and up for a nice condo or a small house. 

27 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

As one gets older the question of feeling vulnerable increases in many ways. In Thailand one can live an integrated life, out late, not worrying about going to the wrong neighborhood, being too far from a hospital, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.

You can live a gated insulated life in any country but that's not what many are after. Thailand scores highly.

That depends where you actually live, and would apply worldwide.

TH is far from crime free, and your examples would get you into trouble here, just as easy as anywhere in the world,

Edited by KhunLA

40 minutes ago, Furioso said:

One story I heard from an expat who was living in Merida, which is supposed to be very safe compared to the rest of Mexico:

He gets a knock on the door, a very self confident Mexican man says "my boss sent me here to talk to you. He says you have a problem. No, no problem why? Somebody yelled at his kids, they say it was you. No, I didn't yell I just let them know it wasn't safe playing in the street. I was quite nice about it. I don't know Senor, my boss says you got a problem you got a problem. I tell you what Senor, I give you 15 minutes and the problem goes away. 

Fastest packout in history. Wallet, passport, cash, laptop, toothbrush, backpack. Didn't bother going out the front door straight to the bus stop and could not stop shaking, no sleep for days. 

Interesting.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Mexico has ridiculously rich culture, compared to near bankruptcy here, when it comes to true culture. Dance, theatre, jazz, wine, film festivals, people who understand their own language, when you try to speak it to them, a language in our alphabet, without the ridiculous tones, etc. And gorgeous, wild, deep sea seafood cooked by people who know the difference between a grill and a frying pan filled with oil. The seafood on the west coast beats Thailand, hands down. Fresher, wilder, tastier and cheaper. Not to mention access to great tequila and good beer and wine. Those elements would be a joy. 

For me, as much as I love Mexico and it's people, the two biggest deterrents would be a far higher cost of living than Thailand, and the security situation. I don't like to always have to maintain situational awareness when outside and I would not tolerate the cartel goombahs well. Which could be fatal. I was recently in Baja, and it felt like an army seige. 

Here, I always feel safe. Here, the crime perpetrated against foreigners is quite low. 

1642154539068.jpg

20211129_133029.jpg

20211129_133310.jpg

The seafood was in Ensenada. The prices are in pesos. About 17.8 to one dollar. Amazing seafood for the money. That would be a highlight for me. And the food is gorgeous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You've got a lot of Thais fleeing Thailand as well. I met a Thai woman studied in the U.S., became a doctor, and settled in California. She was back visiting and I asked her if she ever thought about moving back to Thailand. "Who would ever want to live here if they didn't have to?" she said.  America is great if you've got money.

Doctors get paid well abroad plus it is different for women. Thailand is better for men. A single guy can live anywhere in Thailand and find a gf real quick. That doesn't happen in many countries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is still reasonable. It used to be cheap. Has not been cheap for a long time. But, it is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. That is 120,000 baht!

In Mexico in nice areas, expect to pay $1,000 per month, and up for a nice condo or a small house. 

Really depends on the actual comparisons.  Numbeo puts MC just a tad more expensive than BKK.  Never perfect comparison, but possible ball park enough:

image.png.251acdffde1751b26f925efdab074087.png

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Bangkok&country2=Mexico&city2=Mexico+City

County living may be completely different.  Same as metro areas here vs downtown, vs BKK, CM, Patts, Phuket, PKK, Nan

Udon Thani and 15 kms out of downtown was drastically different.

As is PKK municipality, and 5 kms away, where we live, and more different than Hua Hin.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really depends on the actual comparisons.  Numbeo puts MC just a tad more expensive than BKK.  Never perfect comparison, but possible ball park enough:

image.png.251acdffde1751b26f925efdab074087.png

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&city1=Bangkok&country2=Mexico&city2=Mexico+City

County living may be completely different.  Same as metro areas here vs downtown, vs BKK, CM, Patts, Phuket, PKK, Nan

Udon Thani and 15 kms out of downtown was drastically different.

As is PKK municipality, and 5 kms away, where we live, and more different than Hua Hin.

Chiang Mai has plenty of culture. Udon does not.

• Haha 2