Toilet terror: Python’s restroom wriggle shocks couple in Thailand

webfact

I found a large snake above the door of our outhouse in February.

It scared me to death at first and it stayed up there for 2 days so 

I gave up going in there after a while.

When I watched the videos back, I realised 

it had been up there eating and digesting a large tokay gecko.  

That thing also used to scare me to death every time I went it there.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The incident took place in a two-storey house where rescue worker Viroj Boonthai played a key role in capturing the snake while a rescue team from Nonthaburi’s Emergency Services 191 dashed to the scene.

Was the pun intended?

• Confused 1

I wonder, how did this snake get into the toilet?

Was it slithering around the house and looking for water or somehow managed to get in through the plumbing? I would have thought there's some kind of septic tank that would keep things like this out.

So, how come snakes are often reported to be in toilets, does anyone know?

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'm wondering the same thing, but about mosquitos. My whole apartment is sealed off with mosquito screens. There are no gaps anywhere that I can find but almost every day, there's one or two in here biting my ankles. So I've been wondering if they're coming in via the water supply.

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

Was it slithering around the house and looking for water or somehow managed to get in through the plumbing? I would have thought there's some kind of septic tank that would keep things like this out.

as uk retired builder-i comment -  cant not get into the septic EXCEPT VIA THE 50M/M VENT   !! unless the o/f of foul water is exposed to open ,which should NOT BE  !! should terminate to a soak away in the ground . 

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

Snakes can keep their breath under water for up to an hour and swim, even they normally not do that. Then knowing all the rats in sewages, I am pretty sure they come from the toilet. It's not like they come from elsewhere and then go sleep in the toilet.

Same same cockroaches, you can't drown them, have to kill them. They survive nukes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Flush the toilet? (Off the subject of snakes in the toilet.)

Someplace on the internet, probably you tube, there is a short video of a toilet bowl, with the seat down, then comes the flush, and you see a spider running on top of the water!   

When the flush ends, the spider runs back up the inside of the bowl and hides underneath the seat!   That, ladies and gentlemen, in addition to growing up using out houses, where black widows love to congregate, is why I look inside toilet bowls before I sit down!

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Snakes can keep their breath under water for up to an hour and swim, even they normally not do that. Then knowing all the rats in sewages, I am pretty sure they come from the toilet. It's not like they come from elsewhere and then go sleep in the toilet.

Same same cockroaches, you can't drown them, have to kill them. They survive nukes.

Fact or Fiction?: A Cockroach Can Live without Its Head

A nuclear war may not trouble them, but does decapitation?

By Charles Choi on March 15, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Cockroaches are infamous for their tenacity, and are often cited as the most likely survivors of a nuclear war. Some even claim that they can live without their heads. It turns out that these armchair exterminators (and their professional brethren) are right. Headless roaches are capable of living for weeks.

To understand why cockroaches—and many other insects—can survive decapitation, it helps to understand why humans cannot, explains physiologist and biochemist Joseph Kunkel at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, who studies cockroach development. First off, decapitation in humans results in blood loss and a drop in blood pressure hampering transport of oxygen and nutrition to vital tissues. "You'd bleed to death," Kunkel notes.

In addition, humans breathe through their mouth or nose and the brain controls that critical function, so breathing would stop. Moreover, the human body cannot eat without the head, ensuring a swift death from starvation should it survive the other ill effects of head loss.

But cockroaches do not have blood pressure the way people do. "They don't have a huge network of blood vessels like that of humans, or tiny capillaries that you need a lot of pressure to flow blood through," Kunkel says. "They have an open circulatory system, which there's much less pressure in."

ADVERTISEMENT

"After you cut their heads off, very often their necks would seal off just by clotting," he adds. "There's no uncontrolled bleeding."

The hardy vermin breathe through spiracles, or little holes in each body segment. Plus, the roach brain does not control this breathing and blood does not carry oxygen throughout the body. Rather, the spiracles pipe air directly to tissues through a set of tubes called tracheae.

Cockroaches are also poikilotherms, or cold-blooded, meaning they need much less food than humans do. "An insect can survive for weeks on a meal they had one day," Kunkel says. "As long as some predator doesn't eat them, they'll just stay quiet and sit around, unless they get infected by mold or bacteria or a virus. Then they're dead."

Entomologist Christopher Tipping at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, Pa., has actually decapitated American cockroaches (Periplaneta americana) "very carefully under microscopes," he notes. "We sealed the wound with dental wax, to prevent them from drying out. A couple lasted for several weeks in a jar."

Insects have clumps of ganglia—nerve tissue agglomerations—distributed within each body segment capable of performing the basic nervous functions responsible for reflexes, "so without the brain, the body can still function in terms of very simple reactions," Tipping says. "They could stand, react to touch and move."

Edited by chalawaan