Outrage in the Village!! 2 Monks Caught Drinking Beer Before Observing Monastic Rules

webfact

image.jpeg

On June 5, news reporters announced that a shocking incident took place at a temple in Paknam Subdistrict, Mueang District, Ranong Province. Yom Atthayak, the caretaker of a group of Thai Buddhist monks residing in the temple, reported that two monks had arrived from different provinces to observe the rainy season retreat.

However, instead of adhering to the precepts, they were seen sitting in a circle, drinking beer and consuming liquor on the temple's porch, reported Siam Rath. They even prevented the caretakers from entering the area, creating a disturbance with their inappropriate behavior.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The incident was secretly recorded, capturing images of the monks engaging in the drinking session before they filed a complaint with the local authorities and relevant officials.

When the incident was discovered, a green beer bottle was found in the middle of the conversation circle where the two monks and one novice were seated. One of the monks identified himself as Phra Akkhandukha, a visiting monk who denied consuming beer.

He claimed that he refused to drink but instead allowed the novice monk sitting behind him to buy and drink it himself. However, his slurred speech and mannerisms clearly indicated signs of intoxication.

The temple authorities immediately traveled to the temple to investigate and discuss the matter with the first monk, a 48-year-old monk who had been ordained for five years, originally from a temple in Bang Rakam District, Phitsanulok Province.

The authorities, dissatisfied with his conduct, asked him to leave the temple, as his actions were inconsistent with the monastic code.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The monk immediately acknowledged his wrongdoing and requested to be disrobed on the same day. As for the second monk, aged 60 and ordained for three years, he had come from a temple in Nong Phai District, Phetchabun Province.

The resident abbot and the subdistrict officials visited the temple to address the situation. They questioned why the monks did not protect and prevent such misconduct, and admonished them for their damaging behavior.

They urged the monks to immediately leave the temple and, if they regain their senses the next day (June 6), to seek resolution elsewhere. This action aims to address the immediate problem and prevent further disruption within the monastic community.

It comes amidst the disappointment of Yom Atthayak and the assisting residents who had been diligently caring for the temple, hoping to avoid any negative incidents.

Top photo: Picture: Siam Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-06-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They urged the monks to immediately leave the temple and, if they regain their senses the next day (June 6), to seek resolution elsewhere. This action aims to address the immediate problem and prevent further disruption within the monastic community.

In common parlance, that's called "Kicking the can down the road".

'twas ever thus.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They urged the monks to immediately leave the temple and, if they regain their senses the next day (June 6), to seek resolution elsewhere.

Another day, another temple! :jap:

• Thumbs Up 1

Monks are allowed to smoke cigarettes but not to drink alcohol. We had a friend who was in the latter stages of stomach cancer. She remained cheerful until the end. Each day a young monk visted her home. I was impressed that a young guy would want to do such a thing. I have two uncles who became monks later in life, one being a grandfather at the time. Unless they are continuously neglecting their duties it doesn't seem right to disrobe a monk for drinking a few beers.   

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There was a temple I would go to with my girlfriend where this guy in robes would stand around nonchalantly with a fag hanging from his mouth. Maybe not all in robes are monks but not a good look. 

What is a good look? Badly dressed farangs, drinking, swearing, smoking pot and  complaining about things?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is a good look? Badly dressed farangs, drinking, swearing, smoking pot and  complaining about things?

Thought those in robes held themselves to a certain standard which might preclude sucking on a fag but it seems not. I don't remember the bit about smoking being deemed OK on the path to nirvana. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Thought those in robes held themselves to a certain standard which might preclude sucking on a fag but it seems not. I don't remember the bit about smoking being deemed OK on the path to nirvana. 

Humans are not perfect. They need some freedom.

• Love It 1

a long time ago when I was a youngster my dad always keep the best bottle of whiskey aside for when the local priest paid a visit. Different country, different religion but same same.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1