CNS Chief's 'Plan' To Contest The Election

Mid

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonthi shows interest in Rak Chart
Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin showed his interest in joining Rak Chart political party after he retires from army chief post in September, adviser to the International Security Operations Command Panlop Pinmanee said Friday.

snip

bangkokpost.com

One step forward two steps back toward democracy for Thailand.

Wasn't it the plan all along after the coup. I believe he has a strong support and backing by an "influential" person :o

PM says decision to enter politics depends on discretion of individual

The Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont (สุรยุทธ์ จุลานนท์), comments on the case where a retired army official may decide to enter politics, saying it is up to an individual’s discretion.

Gen. Surayud gave an interview on the Open Phitsanulok House program on government-owned television and radio this morning (August 11th). Referring to the news that the Royal Thai Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, could be playing politics following his retirement, the Prime Ministers says people have different factors to consider, and it is up to one’s judgement.

Meanwhile, he says he would not be involved with the appointment of the new Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief within next week or two. He says he is doing his job as a Prime Minister, and he will listen to the advices of Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas, who would also be advised by the army commanders. Gen. Surayud however reveals that there are three candidates for this position, but he personally does not have a special preference.

The Prime Minister says the principle of understanding, reaching and developing is being applied in southern Thailand in order to show that all sides, especially the state, are determined and steadfast in working out different issues in the region. He also asks all sides to join hands to solve the problems in the South.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 August 2007

• 2 weeks later...

PM reaffirms election to be held late 2007

Sunday 19 August 2007 07:40:07 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) - Thailand's interim Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont Sunday affirmed that the general election will be held late this year shortly after exit polls showed that the draft constitution was approved in the national referendum held earlier in the day.

Speaking during an interview on government-run TV Channel 11 shortly after polling booths were closed at 4 pm local time (0900 GMT), Gen. Surayud said the exact date for conducting the general election is still under consideration and that he believed the most suitable date was following His Majesty the King's birthday on December 5.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited

No conflict in army about new army chief candidate

Sunday 19 August 2007 07:39:22 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) - In a bid to defuse tensions within the Thai army over the appointment of a new army chief, Defense Minister Gen. Boonrawd Somtas said Sunday the new army commander must be a senior army officer who had played a major role in the bloodless coup last September 19

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited.

PM vows to leave politics after election

Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont said he would become an ordinary citizen after the general election scheduled to be held late this year.

Gen. Surayud, who became interim prime minister following Thailand's bloodless coup last September 19, said during his weekly television programme that he did "not enjoy" the work and the reason that he had taken up the post was because of necessity.

Gen. Surayud said his responsibility was meant for a brief period and when the time comes he would return to everyday life as an ordinary citizen.

The prime minister, who is a former supreme commander of Thailand's armed forces and privy councillor to the Thai monarch, said he personally believed that one must gain a large amount of supporters and money if he wants to become a politician and it would be difficult to work as politician without having money.

He dismissed criticisms that the Rak Chart (Love Country) political party is being a military-run party, saying that as many members of the party are now retired military officers and are now Thai citizens, they have every right to engage in political affairs.

after all the downpour he got from TV members it turns out he is the only honest and decent person around.

Sonthi shows interest in Rak Chart
Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin showed his interest in joining Rak Chart political party after he retires from army chief post in September, adviser to the International Security Operations Command Panlop Pinmanee said Friday.

snip

bangkokpost.com

One step forward two steps back toward democracy for Thailand.

Wasn't it the plan all along after the coup. I believe he has a strong support and backing by an "influential" person :o

I am missing something. Why shouldn't he have the right to enter politics? Whether he would get elected or not would depend on the people of Thailand who would have the democratic right to either vote for him or not vote for him. A free, fair democratic election would be two giant steps forward in Thailand, regardless of who is running.

Edited by Old Man River

I am missing something. Why shouldn't he have the right to enter politics? Whether he would get elected or not would depend on the people of Thailand who would have the democratic right to either vote for him or not vote for him. A free, fair democratic election would be two giant steps forward in Thailand, regardless of who is running.

Yes, you miss something.

Unless he resigns from his seat on the privy council (i am not sure if he has resigned, just taken a leave of absence, or if he is still a member - clarification, please), there would be some very complicated conflicts of interest if he would enter politics.

Yes, you miss something.

Unless he resigns from his seat on the privy council (i am not sure if he has resigned, just taken a leave of absence, or if he is still a member - clarification, please), there would be some very complicated conflicts of interest if he would enter politics.

I dont think Gen Sonthi is on the privvy council. :o

Yes, you miss something.

I dont think Gen Sonthi is on the privvy council. :o

Thank you Hammered.

Colpyat, if he was on the PC, then you would be correct, but he isn't. He is a soldier that would have to leave the military to run. Since he is due to retire shortly, that will make him a citizen eligible to run.

Yes, you miss something.

I dont think Gen Sonthi is on the privvy council. :D

Thank you Hammered.

Colpyat, if he was on the PC, then you would be correct, but he isn't. He is a soldier that would have to leave the military to run. Since he is due to retire shortly, that will make him a citizen eligible to run.

I said sorry already. Got confused. :o

I find it uncomfortable though with all ex military officers in politics here, regardless which side they are on. Given the existing seniority system in Thailand that goes beyond retirement, it is not just a simple matter of military top level officers turning civilians.

Especially if Gen. Sonthi would enter politics so soon after a coup he led.

Yes, you miss something.

I dont think Gen Sonthi is on the privvy council. :D

Thank you Hammered.

I said sorry already. Got confused. :o

I find it uncomfortable though with all ex military officers in politics here, regardless which side they are on. Given the existing seniority system in Thailand that goes beyond retirement, it is not just a simple matter of military top level officers turning civilians.

Especially if Gen. Sonthi would enter politics so soon after a coup he led.

I would guess that with the charter result being a comfortable although not emphatic win and with the main opposition seemingly accepting the result he will go more for a defence minister position than try to become a party leader and go for PM. There will be plenty of parties interested in him either as a constituency MP for Lopburi or as a party list guy.

I would guess that with the charter result being a comfortable although not emphatic win and with the main opposition seemingly accepting the result he will go more for a defence minister position than try to become a party leader and go for PM. There will be plenty of parties interested in him either as a constituency MP for Lopburi or as a party list guy.

All boils down to "managed" democracy, and further political problems.

TRT group may accept the new charter, they have no choice. But the result now could mean that in the next elections they could still form the next government with their Parang Prachachon party.

I am very sure that the Military sleeps very uncomfortable now. The statement of Sonthi sidestepping the question of a new coup possibility has to be seen in this light as well.

Edited by ColPyat

PM vows to leave politics after election

Prime Minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont said he would become an ordinary citizen after the general election scheduled to be held late this year.

Gen. Surayud, who became interim prime minister following Thailand's bloodless coup last September 19, said during his weekly television programme that he did "not enjoy" the work and the reason that he had taken up the post was because of necessity.

Gen. Surayud said his responsibility was meant for a brief period and when the time comes he would return to everyday life as an ordinary citizen.

The prime minister, who is a former supreme commander of Thailand's armed forces and privy councillor to the Thai monarch, said he personally believed that one must gain a large amount of supporters and money if he wants to become a politician and it would be difficult to work as politician without having money.

He dismissed criticisms that the Rak Chart (Love Country) political party is being a military-run party, saying that as many members of the party are now retired military officers and are now Thai citizens, they have every right to engage in political affairs.

after all the downpour he got from TV members it turns out he is the only honest and decent person around.

and this has exactly what to do with this thread ??

Jeez, by the looks of it on here, the YES to the new constitution seems to have created A LOT of paranoia in a matter of minutes. :o

Which paranoia?

A "Yes" was expected. What is unexpected somewhat is the small margin. And that should create paranoia especially under the most rabid TRT opponents here, who mostly claimed that TRT victories only came to pass through vote buying and intimidation.

No, we had the reverse - large scale harrassment on the side of the government against its opponents, and still only an approximate 4:3 victory.

Now, some of the "No" voters may not be TRT supporters, but i am sure that many "Yes" voters are TRT supporters who basically saw accepting the constitution as the fasted way back to elections (and that claim is somewhat supported by the fact that in many radio and TV talk shows, and in pro constitution rallies this was emphasized).

That basically means, that the Parang Prachachon party, to which now most ex TRT MPs have switched, have more than a fair chance to be the biggest party in the coming election if the keep the Thaksin and TRT link alive during their campaign.

And personally, given that Samak (or Chavalit) is the designated leader of that party, the thought of them forming the new government is not exactly the most comfortable thought for me either. As usual - the rest of the bunch, especially the Democrats, have so far completely failed to present themselves as an alternative with policies for the poor communicated to these poor.

We will have "managed" democracy, because a return to a populist government will be unacceptable to the military. But any further military interference will be unacceptable to a huge sector of the population (i dare say the majority - because my guess is that many of the "Yes" votes are out of the hope that this is the quickest way to get the military out).

I can only expect a continuation of the political problems in Thailand.

Jeez, by the looks of it on here, the YES to the new constitution seems to have created A LOT of paranoia in a matter of minutes. :o

Which paranoia?

A "Yes" was expected. What is unexpected somewhat is the small margin. And that should create paranoia especially under the most rabid TRT opponents here, who mostly claimed that TRT victories only came to pass through vote buying and intimidation.

No, we had the reverse - large scale harrassment on the side of the government against its opponents, and still only an approximate 4:3 victory.

Now, some of the "No" voters may not be TRT supporters, but i am sure that many "Yes" voters are TRT supporters who basically saw accepting the constitution as the fasted way back to elections (and that claim is somewhat supported by the fact that in many radio and TV talk shows, and in pro constitution rallies this was emphasized).

That basically means, that the Parang Prachachon party, to which now most ex TRT MPs have switched, have more than a fair chance to be the biggest party in the coming election if the keep the Thaksin and TRT link alive during their campaign.

And personally, given that Samak (or Chavalit) is the designated leader of that party, the thought of them forming the new government is not exactly the most comfortable thought for me either. As usual - the rest of the bunch, especially the Democrats, have so far completely failed to present themselves as an alternative with policies for the poor communicated to these poor.

We will have "managed" democracy, because a return to a populist government will be unacceptable to the military. But any further military interference will be unacceptable to a huge sector of the population (i dare say the majority - because my guess is that many of the "Yes" votes are out of the hope that this is the quickest way to get the military out).

I can only expect a continuation of the political problems in Thailand.

Samak (or Chavalit) as the next PM is a possibilty. To deny otherwise would be crazy. To assume there are not those in the Junta that Samak (or even more so Chavalit) could deal with would be wrong too. I hope it doesnt happen but it very easily could. Personally I'd rather give Banharn his swansong. We aint exactly talking a bunch of decent alternatives here. Mind you the only thing is the next PMship is a poison chalice with economic and social problems so whoever becomes PM may find it a one term wonder.

Samak (or Chavalit) as the next PM is a possibilty. To deny otherwise would be crazy. To assume there are not those in the Junta that Samak (or even more so Chavalit) could deal with would be wrong too. I hope it doesnt happen but it very easily could. Personally I'd rather give Banharn his swansong. We aint exactly talking a bunch of decent alternatives here. Mind you the only thing is the next PMship is a poison chalice with economic and social problems so whoever becomes PM may find it a one term wonder.

Banharn was at least only plain corrupt and incompetent...

It is horrible that in Thailand politics is always about the lesser of the available evils. And looking at the new headers of ex-TRT, incompetent Democrats, incompetent Chart Thai, sycophant small parties, new military party "Rak Chart", i am more and more convinced that TRT under Thaksin was the lesser of the evils.

At least he was elected, at least there was a chance that the construct TRT was already in the process of splitting up, leaving the way open for censor motions, and a change of government within the democratic frame work, without stepping back to "managed" democracy and a new round of political crises.

Banharn was at least only plain corrupt and incompetent...

It is horrible that in Thailand politics is always about the lesser of the available evils. And looking at the new headers of ex-TRT, incompetent Democrats, incompetent Chart Thai, sycophant small parties, new military party "Rak Chart", i am more and more convinced that TRT under Thaksin was the lesser of the evils.

At least he was elected, at least there was a chance that the construct TRT was already in the process of splitting up, leaving the way open for censor motions, and a change of government within the democratic frame work, without stepping back to "managed" democracy and a new round of political crises.

Colpyat I could see where you are coming from if it wasnt for the killings on the TRT guys.

I think we really have to wait a while in Thailand to see the next round of politcal development. Urbanisation and better education will be driving factors that nobody will be able to resist at some point. I say better education because now business will demand it and it will happen. The days of cheap labour sweat shop shoe maing are over and off to Vietnam or ....

Anyway the days of all the power elites from whatever side are numbered imho. We are in a process and tiooday is just part of it. One step forward./ Two back another forward. Two forward one back etc but it will all lead to inevitable change.

Colpyat I could see where you are coming from if it wasnt for the killings on the TRT guys.

I think we really have to wait a while in Thailand to see the next round of politcal development. Urbanisation and better education will be driving factors that nobody will be able to resist at some point. I say better education because now business will demand it and it will happen. The days of cheap labour sweat shop shoe maing are over and off to Vietnam or ....

Anyway the days of all the power elites from whatever side are numbered imho. We are in a process and tiooday is just part of it. One step forward./ Two back another forward. Two forward one back etc but it will all lead to inevitable change.

I didn't make that statement easily. I am more than aware of the very ugly side of TRT.

As we are debating in the 'bringing Thaksin to account' thread, i believe to attribute the killings solely, or even largely, to Thaksin and TRT is a fallacy that i have made once as well, and have let my judgment be skewed by limited information on this issue. Unfortunately debate on this subject has to be very carefully formulated.

And even more unfortunate, the killings issue is pretty much a non-issue in the Thai public and the Thai power elites as well. Far more emphasis is given to the corruption allegations, as can be seen with the extradition request, where the weakest case of all has been used.

Discussion on the Human Rights violations would open a can of worms that nobody can control anymore.

Yes, i am convinced that the days of power elites are over. But i believe that the power elites don't know that yet, unfortunately. That will lead to huge social and political conflicts in the near future.

No matter what guys . I am very sure that things in the near future will not turn out as the people want it to be.

I agree with everything Colpyat explains over and over , it is just the way it is . The movements of power could go every direction , but I think in the near term whoever comes next will be just puppets of a bigger arena.

I also hear rumours whispered all over that there is much more going on , things that cannot be discussed , and I

also will not , only can tell that it confuses me moreover .

I feel for the Thai people overall , hard to see the light , they are just hanging in hoping for change .

No matter what guys . I am very sure that things in the near future will not turn out as the people want it to be.

I agree with everything Colpyat explains over and over , it is just the way it is . The movements of power could go every direction , but I think in the near term whoever comes next will be just puppets of a bigger arena.

I also hear rumours whispered all over that there is much more going on , things that cannot be discussed , and I

also will not , only can tell that it confuses me moreover .

I feel for the Thai people overall , hard to see the light , they are just hanging in hoping for change .

Guaranteed to be right there. I just hope there are no big events or shocks before the election at the end of the year. However, every day seems to go slowly right now. I too hear the whispers one particuler one leaving me with a sense of uncertainty.

Sonthi hints at running for political office

WASSANA NANUAM

Lop Buri _ Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday said he would run in this central province's constituency 1 if he decides to take a stab at democratic politics.

''If I ever contest an election, it must be here at our home,'' Gen Sonthi said, referring to the province that is home to nearly 200,000 soldiers and where he was posted when he was a major-general and commander of the first special combat division.

snip

The Post Publishing Public Co

• 2 weeks later...

Sonthi denies he already decided to enter politics

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin Wednesday denied that he has already decided to contest the next election by standing in Lop Buri.

He said he has never said that he would contest the next election in Lop Buri.

He said he would have to wait until October before he could be certain about his political future.

Sonthi said many private firms had approached him to become their chairman by offering him salary between Bt800,000 to Bt1.5 million so he was still choosing between entering politics or joining a firm.

When told that former Thai Rak Thai MP Wiwatchai na Kalasin had set up a political party and would like to invite him to head the party, Sonthi said he had not been approached yet but he was willing to talk to Wiwatchai.

Source: The Nation - 29 August 2007

well that's the price on display then ...........................

Indeed. A price tag. Like on a lamp. Or a pack of crackers.

How sweet from him to tell us what his price is. And what a striking proof of "transparency" and "good governance" (just to pick some words that the junta loves).

And such thai ingenuity. It's hilarious. "You would understand that I'm genuinely hesitating between politics and a position with a salary".

:o

Come on Sonthi... You should remember that within a private company you can... be fired.