Golden Syrup

whimsy

Is there an EASY recipe for something good using golden syrup - and which can be made without an oven? In Thailand, meaning all other ingredients should be available there, fairly easily.

If somebody has an enticing suggestion I'll bring a tin with me when I return to Thailand next month.

Thanks for the info mrtoad. So far that's one maybe available. I am considering bringing some over but it is heavy stuff and messy should it spring a leak in my case. That is why I am asking if it can be bought in Chiang Mai. Can anyone else help?

Rim PIng do have Tate & Lyle on the shelf in the green and gold tin that has had the same design forever, but it's not cheap!! I only buy it if I'm making something special. From memory it was something like 400 baht for a small tin...MM

What makes golden syrup worth so much money? Does it taste like something real (like maple syrup) or is it something completely man made?

The OP very nicely put a link to an article from Wikipedia of which I took the liberty of copying and pasting here for you. :o

"Golden syrup is a thick, amber-colored form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance and allegedly tastes similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who cannot eat honey and those who choose not to (such as vegans). It can also be used as a substitute for corn syrup."

Wikepedia.

Sorry, I missed the link, and thank you for explaining.

Does it taste pretty much like corn syrup, or more like honey?

according to the wiki, after reading it a couple times, like honey to some and corn syrup to others ! :o depends what you are into.

not that i have ever tried it.

I last had some in prep school - with porridge or as an overpowering ingrediant of dark, delicious biscuits. But since I don't have an oven in Thailand baking biscuits is out. Just wondering if I should chuck a tin among my things being prepared for shipping to Thailand. probably will...not expensive in England so why not...

Best use for T&L Golden syrup is to make treacle tart.

Serve with whipped cream MMmmmmmmmmm........

I agree. But can;t make that since I don't have an oven.

As a temporary diversion, where do you buy the whipped cream in Chiang Mai? (And please - not an ersatz, chemical version.)

Best use for T&L Golden syrup is to make treacle tart.

Serve with whipped cream MMmmmmmmmmm........

I agree. But can;t make that since I don't have an oven.

As a temporary diversion, where do you buy the whipped cream in Chiang Mai? (And please - not an ersatz, chemical version.)

Whipping cream + Bowl + Whisk & you have whipped cream.