All children in Thailand should have education, regardless of nationality, says official

snoop1130

right.jpg

Tri-nut Thiengthong, Thailand’s Minister of Education, has emphasised the right of all children living in Thailand to receive an education regardless of their nationality. This was in response to the recent influx of 124 undocumented children at Thai Rat Witthaya 6 (Ratchamongkol) School in Ang Thong province. The Ministry of Education is working closely with local organisations to ensure the necessary care and protection for these children while related agencies continue to verify their legal status.

The case revolves around a suspicious increase in the number of students at Thai Rat Witthaya 6 School, where 124 undocumented children lacking official identification and Thai nationality from northern areas had been admitted. On June 2, various concerned agencies, including the provincial social development and human security office, local police, and education authorities, conducted a field investigation at the school. Out of the 124 children, only seven were confirmed to be Thai citizens, while the remaining 117 had no official identification or nationality.

By Nattapong Westwood

Top photo caption: Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/rights-for-all-children-in-thailand-to-receive-education-regardless-of-nationality

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Shouldn't that headline read, and I am quoting from the headline;

All children in Thailand should have education, regardless of nationality, says official

Obviously, Thailand's Minister of Education speaks for Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Indeed but proper education can not be done in classrooms with 50 kids.. A teacher can't spend 1 minute for each student.. Reform the system and force kids to go the nearest school at their home instead of going to well known schools with over crowded classes. Max 30 kids in a classroom 

• Like 2

He's THE Minister of Education, and he's saying this? Does he have any power? Any initiative? So where has he been for the past several years regarding the children of the Burmese refugees living in the camps on the Thai side of the border? I've been to the camps a couple of times and as far as I know there is no Thai government sponsored primary education provided there--all I've seen are volunteers; and, I should add, missionary organizations. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Enzian
clarity
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand, the country where you can be born but will not be considered a Thai unless both parents are, or at least the mother?

Is that correct?

That is how most countries citizenship law is interpreted.

In the US we have the 14th amendment to the Constitution 「"....All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside....." 」and of course all children are afforded public school education regardless their immigration status. 

No big deal just at this point in 2023 all amendments no longer relevant to the times should be changed or abolished, starting with the gun nonsense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

right of all children living in Thailand to receive an education

Education in Thailand depends on the quality of the school . Good schools are too expensive for most Thais , so the level of education of thai kids in rural schools leaves a lot to be desired ...

Quality education for all would be a crucial factor to transform Thailand into the " high income " country they want so much ...

I can't edit my post above regarding the Burmese refugee camps, but a farang monk friend of mine who knows more than I says he's sure there are a number of Thai government schools in the camps, but implying that they are not universal. There might be something about schools on The Border Consortium website but with a quick look I didn't see anything.