Fob And Feeling Screwed

I have just arrived in LOS and was hoping it to be for good. Before I came I was told that the real estate business is great here for farangs. After meeting with a few Hua Hin agents I have come to realize that it's not what I was told it would be.

From what a few farangs told me is that most FOB retired men start up some kind of beer bar. These bars usually have some pretty Thai girls that do special favors, if you know what I mean. So I was hoping maybe some of you might know what steps it takes to run a beer bar? Keep in mind I'm in what some would call the golden years of my life, and only looking to start a small joint. If anyone could fill me in on the laws or any info that would be of much help to me.

Allen

I have just arrived in LOS and was hoping it to be for good. Before I came I was told that the real estate business is great here for farangs. After meeting with a few Hua Hin agents I have come to realize that it's not what I was told it would be.

From what a few farangs told me is that most FOB retired men start up some kind of beer bar. These bars usually have some pretty Thai girls that do special favors, if you know what I mean. So I was hoping maybe some of you might know what steps it takes to run a beer bar? Keep in mind I'm in what some would call the golden years of my life, and only looking to start a small joint. If anyone could fill me in on the laws or any info that would be of much help to me.

Allen

Educated and informed farangs start, and fail, in these ventures. Being fob your success rate is 0 to none. I cannot give you specifics about the trade but I'm sure you'll hear plenty soon enough

Edited by Baht Man

Allen

Educated and informed farangs start, and fail, in these ventures. Being fob your success rate is 0 to none. I cannot give you specifics about the trade but I'm sure you'll hear plenty soon enough

The only rule is don't invest anything in Thailand you can't afford to walk away from at a total loss. The rest is pure gamble.

Guest madcow
I'm outside the loop (big shock!). What's FOB? I only know the shipping term, doesn't seem to apply.

I think FOB means " fresh off the boat " oh dear the old saying

" a fool and his money are soon parted " comes to mind here

I'm outside the loop (big shock!). What's FOB? I only know the shipping term, doesn't seem to apply.

Thanks, makes sense. Thought it might be some funky Brit retirement institutional acronym.

Thanks, makes sense. Thought it might be some funky Brit retirement institutional acronym.

Being from the states myself, and seeing how this fellow was intersted in geting sexual favours from his potential employees I figured that FOB meant Friend Of Bill (Clinton that is). Thanks for clearing it up! Its good to see that the acronym FOB can stand for something a little more decent and binine.

Allen

Getting feedback or information here to get you started is not too practical or advisable.You'll need to do alot of extensive groundwork first.

Bar business is very subjective depending on your location,set up atmosphere,attraction etc.

For rules and regulation,it is better to hear from some long time bar owner or ex bar owner itself.

There are afew option.Do everything anew or buy over existing ones.

Maybe I can assist you alittle but it's better you'd pm me first.

Goodluck to your venture.

Not all is as bad on the surface as you see.

Just do your homework well and you should be fine.

Chokdee na krup !

Edited by sgthai

"These bars usually have some pretty Thai girls that do special favors, if you know what I mean. "

Gosh, xiaoa, we have no idea what you are talking about. But, before you post again, please remember that all of us are over 21, and have been around the block - we've designed and built the block. So, there's no need for the nod and wink, or the poke poke in the ribs. Grow up.

Guest madcow

If you are serious about running a bar , or any business for that matter , you need to do some groundwork .

You have probably noticed there is no shortage of bars in Thailand , some do exceptionally well , some do Ok ,

some , well you know where I,m heading .

Must haves are , pool tables , cold beer , plenty of pretty young ladies , and the pretty young ladies ?

must be prepared to pamper the customers , not themselves , not their friends , not their mobile phones .

When you get it sorted , send me a PM , I will come and have a beer with you , a cold beer !

Edited by madcow

where are these beer joints that are stocked with pretty women? the top places have a hard time keeping pretty women in stock.............lol.

mr flip. if one is not sly when posting about sexual matters one will be banned here, i have read this is not the place for it, that there are other forums that cater to the cravings of the mman.

Edited by blizzard

Here's a gem... For free!

The people that got rich during the gold rushes were the ones that supplied the miners......

Soundman.

True, and one of the richest families in the Oklahoma City land rush started by supplying the lumber for the Boomers-Sooners to start building their homes.

Use the savings that you have in your own country to generate an income in that country for your retirement here. Do not bring it here for that purpose. It is not a wise idea to enter into a business if you cannot read the contract in the native language.

It is far better to live at a lower level than you had planned than to return to your own country at your age. Be frugal.

This requires a bit more mental expenditure and there's always a chance you'll screw up, but you might consider trading on the FX (Foreign Exchange) markets.

It took me a good 6 months of study, but I got it down =) and before I turned 17.

That being said, my age would be a benefit so long as one could find the determination (I didn't have to support myself, pay rent, pay for food, etc... during the study process).

Here's a sample shot:

awesomeoi6.png

Shot at 2007-07-10

The blue arrow indicates a long buy, yellow, a closed trade and if you look at the bottom left, you'll see Thai Visa =) Rest is smudged out for privacy reasons, sorry =/

Best of luck to you in whatever you pick.