Refixing a loose tile

We moved into our new built house about 6 months ago and in the past few days a large tile in the centre of the room wobbled as we walked across it. Tapping it revealed a hollow sound underneath it. We called the builder and to his credit he had someone round to inspect it within a couple of hours and this morning a lady arrived to fix it. 
I was wondering how they were going to remove this one tile without damage to it and the surrounding ones but to my surprise she scraped out all the surrounding grout and started forcing what looked like a very liquid type of cement into the gaps and continued tapping until hollow sound disappeared. Is this a normal or acceptable and successful way to fix this type of problem. The lady did tell my wife that if not successful she would have to remove the tile. 

21 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Is this a normal or acceptable and successful way to fix this type of problem.

Eh! New in Thailand? As long as it works, everything is acceptable and successful. When something not works, then it´s time to find a good thing or a person to blame. 

But, on the other hand, this was just a tile. No worries, man! Just wait until you see how they fix electric. ????

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:18 AM, poppysdad said:

Is this a normal or acceptable and successful way to fix this type of problem.

I've seen the method discussed in several threads here on AN with various opinions on it's effectiveness.

"I was wondering how they were going to remove this one tile without damage to it and the surrounding ones but to my surprise she scraped out all the surrounding grout and started forcing what looked like a very liquid type of cement into the gaps and continued tapping until hollow sound disappeared. Is this a normal or acceptable and successful way to fix this type of problem. "

Had the same problem and they used the same way, but it didn't worked.You have to remove the loose Tiles, some concrete and fix it with Cement.

Dante99, the tile is no longer loose but we can still hear a slight  hollow sound from it if we tap it. Decided to leave it a week or three and see if it comes loose again as it’s frequently walked across, if it does become loose again then it’ll have to be as uweb says and Tile and cement replaced. 

52 minutes ago, UWEB said:

"I was wondering how they were going to remove this one tile without damage to it and the surrounding ones but to my surprise she scraped out all the surrounding grout and started forcing what looked like a very liquid type of cement into the gaps and continued tapping until hollow sound disappeared. Is this a normal or acceptable and successful way to fix this type of problem. "

Had the same problem and they used the same way, but it didn't worked.You have to remove the loose Tiles, some concrete and fix it with Cement.

17 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Dante99, the tile is no longer loose but we can still hear a slight  hollow sound from it if we tap it. Decided to leave it a week or three and see if it comes loose again as it’s frequently walked across, if it does become loose again then it’ll have to be as uweb says and Tile and cement replaced. 

This is not the correct way but 1 way (Thai way) they try to fix it. It can work but may also fail later cracking the tile. There is no way to know if there are voids that were missed in that tile. As well as others. Based on your comment on still hearing a hollow sound I would say it could fail. If it were Mei would ask for spare tiles that match as you may find the same problem on other tiles later. No way to match them later if you break one or more. Just my opinion.